Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Naiant Tinybox or other preamp?  (Read 15332 times)

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Naiant Tinybox or other preamp?
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 03:23:03 PM »
Custom made mic pres to your specifications.  How cool!   Jon made me a black one with 10, 20, 30 gain for Schoeps KCY.  Amazing little box. 
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline greenmtnsrider

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • My Shows
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2014, 08:08:39 PM »
Just bought the latest Tinybox to go up for sale in the yard sale. All I can say at the moment is that this thing is tiny. Thought it would be more inline with a CA9200 in size. It should be a nice upgrade to my Denecke PS-2...
Mics: Schoeps CMC6/mk4| AKG C414b XLII/ST| AKG c460b/ck61| AKG se300B/Ck91, Ck92, Ck93| Church Audio CA-14 (C/O)| Tascam iM2
Preamps: Lunatec V2| Shure FP24| Naiant PIPsqueak
Decks: Sound Devices Mixpre10t| Tascam Portacapture X8| Tascam DR-70d| Tascam DR-2D
Cables: GAKables XLR

Offline harmon712

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Photography and Audio Recording Facebook Page
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2014, 06:13:12 PM »
Anything I should change or does this look good?

Input: 6 pin mini 48v phantom
Amplifier: standard
Output connectors: single minijack
Output type: direct line only
Output dc tolerance: 16v
Hopefully that is what I need. Just ordered a Tinybox with this setup.

I'm sure it's fine but email Jon anyway.  I changed my mind on gain levels after ordering because I wound up getting different mics than my original plan.  Jon was very accommodating with this.  He also said that since each of these are custom, he needs to know all the mics you are using before building so it's properly configured.
I did email before I ordered and he said...

You need a tinybox configured for 48V phantom power ($279 base price) with a dual XLR for P48 adaptor cable ($52 for 25cm).

Anyone know about how long the Tinybox build time takes?  I ordered September 21 would be nice to use for a recording on Halloween but don't think I'll have it by then.  I'm hoping to have it by November 13 for Bluegrass Ball (Travelin McCourys & Jeff Austin Band)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 06:19:36 PM by harmon712 »
Mics: Neumann KM184 & Busman BSC1
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-3 & MixPre-6
Stand: Triad-Orbit T3 w/ T-ES Elevator Shaft
Video: Canon VIXIA HF R500
Photo: Canon T3i w/ Sigma 18-50mm & 50-150 f/2.8 lenses
Bag: Gruv Gear Club Bag, AmazonBasics Large DSLR Gadget Bag & Sound Devices CS-3

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2014, 06:27:29 PM »
Anything I should change or does this look good?

Input: 6 pin mini 48v phantom
Amplifier: standard
Output connectors: single minijack
Output type: direct line only
Output dc tolerance: 16v
Hopefully that is what I need. Just ordered a Tinybox with this setup.

I'm sure it's fine but email Jon anyway.  I changed my mind on gain levels after ordering because I wound up getting different mics than my original plan.  Jon was very accommodating with this.  He also said that since each of these are custom, he needs to know all the mics you are using before building so it's properly configured.
I did email before I ordered and he said...

You need a tinybox configured for 48V phantom power ($279 base price) with a dual XLR for P48 adaptor cable ($52 for 25cm).

Anyone know about how long the Tinybox build time takes?  I ordered September 21 would be nice to use for a recording on Halloween but don't think I'll have it by then.  I'm hoping to have it by November 13 for Bluegrass Ball (Travelin McCourys & Jeff Austin Band)

Well then you should be fine with that.  If you aren't using actives I don't think you need any special configs.  Mine was delivered 6 weeks after ordering, almost to the day, which is what Jon's site quotes for it.  You will not be disappointed.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2014, 04:28:45 AM »
Good move bro! I'm without a Naiant LB for the first time since Jon started making them a few years ago :( The VMS02ib will help heal that wound, but I definitely don't want to go long before I get either a used KCY LB[doubtful] or a new KCY TB with OTs for my second Schoeps rig!!! Jon truly makes one of my favorite preamps EVER, and I've run my share of different preamps over the years. Just so rich and clean and pure and in your face! And custom built for that price is just INSANE!

Trust us, when you get your TB, you're going to instantly fall in love like so many of us have already done ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline jmerin

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2014, 08:15:14 AM »
I Just received a tiny box. I understand the gain settings of high mid low. But what does the other switch do? Options are high and low (Leveler).
Thanks!
Mics: Schoeps MK4's | Schoeps MK41's | Schoeps Mk21's
Pre-Amps: Schoeps VMS02ib | Nbox Platinum KCY
Cables: KCY 250/5 Ig (2)
Recorders: Sony M10  | Tascam 70D l Edirol R-44

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2014, 08:37:01 AM »
I Just received a tiny box. I understand the gain settings of high mid low. But what does the other switch do? Options are high and low (Leveler).
Thanks!
power
High is typically 48v
Low is typically 16v I believe then based on your configuration you can run actives, pip, 48 whatever
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline jmerin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2014, 08:39:43 AM »
Great that is the voltage setting. I should be low if I am running schoeps > kcy > m10. Head I will get 20 hours using the pre. Thanks!

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2014, 12:24:57 PM »
Did you have your tiny box built specifically for a schoeps kCY setup?   I ask because my schoeps-specific tiny box lacks the high/low setting on the power switch - it's simply on or off with the other switch providing three levels of gain.  Mine's got a binder plug and 1/8" mini jack on the front (the kcy plugs directly into the tiny box)

As others have mentioned, Jon at Naiant is very responsive -- you might want to be sure you're properly set up before you find yourself in a "magic smoke" situation   

Offline jmerin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2014, 02:09:24 PM »
A high/low power switch turns the high-volt rail (48V or 54V, depending on your box) on and off.  When off, either phantom or active polarization voltage will be 16V.  With actives, that acts as a -10dB pad.  This option was enabled somewhere in the v2s, so if you have an earlier active tinybox you won't have that feature.

In no case in any tinybox ever that I can recall will a power switch setting cause the destruction of a microphone that is designed to be connected to that tinybox.  That would be a totally irresponsible design.  So if you have a combined PIP/3-wire & phantom/active tinybox, the low-volt mics *always* only ever get 8V, whether on high or low power, because the low-volt adaptor cable is never connected to the 16V or 48V/55V pins.

Jon thanks for the explanation. I look forward to using the tiny box in the near future

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2014, 02:23:40 PM »
what he said :) -- Didn't mean to imply that Jon would engage in anything but "responsible design," but with so many permutations/unknowns, can't be too careful.  I learn something new every day

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2014, 02:03:44 AM »
A high/low power switch turns the high-volt rail (48V or 54V, depending on your box) on and off.  When off, either phantom or active polarization voltage will be 16V.  With actives, that acts as a -10dB pad.  This option was enabled somewhere in the v2s, so if you have an earlier active tinybox you won't have that feature.

In no case in any tinybox ever that I can recall will a power switch setting cause the destruction of a microphone that is designed to be connected to that tinybox.  That would be a totally irresponsible design.  So if you have a combined PIP/3-wire & phantom/active tinybox, the low-volt mics *always* only ever get 8V, whether on high or low power, because the low-volt adaptor cable is never connected to the 16V or 48V/55V pins.

So Jon, youre saying that a new Tinybox, with OTs and everything, on LOW Power, now acts as a -10db pad? So you'd have to turn the TB up an extra 10db of gain? I am going to need a strictly Schoeps KCY Tinybox with OTs in the next few months, and was wondering if it's at all possible to get a new TB that DOESN'T act as a -10db pad in the LOW voltage power setting? Because my old KCY LBs didn't ever act as a -10db pad in LOW power, and that's how I liked them. And I'm sure I would be running my new KCY TB in LOW power most of the time since I do record a lot of festivals in the summer. And an average show time for me is around 6 hours, so I'd need to run my new KCY TB on LOW power all of the time, since people are saying that they're only getting 3.5 hours on HIGH power ;)

So is it possible to get a strictly Schoeps KCY TB with OTs, that DOESN'T act as a -10db pad on the LOW power setting? Because that's what I really need. I NEED a KCY TB with OTs that I can run in LOW power ALL of the time, that DOESN'T act as a -10db pad in LOW power ;) I just don't get the idea behind having the LOW power setting act as a -10db pad ?!?!?! But to each his own lol 8) ;D

Offline blg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2014, 10:39:39 AM »

So Jon, youre saying that a new Tinybox, with OTs and everything, on LOW Power, now acts as a -10db pad? So you'd have to turn the TB up an extra 10db of gain? I am going to need a strictly Schoeps KCY Tinybox with OTs in the next few months, and was wondering if it's at all possible to get a new TB that DOESN'T act as a -10db pad in the LOW voltage power setting? Because my old KCY LBs didn't ever act as a -10db pad in LOW power, and that's how I liked them. And I'm sure I would be running my new KCY TB in LOW power most of the time since I do record a lot of festivals in the summer. And an average show time for me is around 6 hours, so I'd need to run my new KCY TB on LOW power all of the time, since people are saying that they're only getting 3.5 hours on HIGH power ;)

So is it possible to get a strictly Schoeps KCY TB with OTs, that DOESN'T act as a -10db pad on the LOW power setting? Because that's what I really need. I NEED a KCY TB with OTs that I can run in LOW power ALL of the time, that DOESN'T act as a -10db pad in LOW power ;) I just don't get the idea behind having the LOW power setting act as a -10db pad ?!?!?! But to each his own lol 8) ;D

I just took delivery of a new TB and I agree with you in the sense that I can never think of a reason why I'll need the -10db pad.  But with that said, it doesn't affect power consumption and you never have to use it. 
Schoeps MK41 |
Naiant Tinybox v2.5 w/OT
NBob Actives v2
Sony PCM-M10 x2
dime LMA

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2014, 01:06:39 AM »

I just took delivery of a new TB and I agree with you in the sense that I can never think of a reason why I'll need the -10db pad.  But with that said, it doesn't affect power consumption and you never have to use it. 

But I ALWAYS run my LBs/TBs in LOW power, so I DON'T want to have to crank the gain of a new TB +10db just to get it to "normal" just because I'm on LOW power :(

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2014, 01:15:08 AM »
I can't think of why you wouldn't want the pad feature with an active tinybox.  There is no difference in power consumption on high or low with actives; that only matters for phantom power.  The user that reported 3.5 hours on 48V phantom was likely using high-current draw mics (they were unspecified).  But actives will over 20 hours on either setting.

What advantage would having a -10db pad on the LOW power setting be? I just want a simple, easy to use TB[OTs], that acts the SAME on HIGH AND LOW power, so that I don't have to crank the TB up +10 extra db just to get it to "normal" :( I want an exact CLONE of my old KCY LBs, that act the SAME on HIGH and LOW power, no frills or pads.

Jon, is it even possible to order a new TB[OTs] that DOESN'T have a -10db pad on the LOW power setting? Because that's what I'm really interested in to be honest ;) I NEED a new TB[OTs] that acts just like my old KCY LBs did, and that has the EXACT same gain, whether on LOW or HIGH power ;) Please let me know if its possible to even get a new TB[OTs] made that DOESN'T have a -10db pad ???

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com