Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: FR2-LE other power options *noob content*  (Read 3069 times)

Offline jibooer

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Searching for the perfect jam...
FR2-LE other power options *noob content*
« on: April 05, 2010, 01:24:23 AM »
I maybe in the market for a FR2-LE so I am searching for power options. I am familiar w/ the RC batts, but would rather have a Li-Ion alternative such as the Tekkeon 3450. The questions I have are:

1) at what voltage would I select from the Tekkeon - 7.2V or 12V? (I am confused as the Tamiya RC's needed are 7.2V, but the DC in calls for 12V (hence the noob content))
2) will one of the adapter tips that are included work with the FR2-LE?

I understand that the RC route is the most inexpensive and more widely used, but I am hoping someone out there has some field experience with other sources of remote power.

Thanks in advance.
Mics: AKG c460b (ck61, ck62, ck63, ck1x, ck3x), NBob Actives, Naiant Actives, ADK A-51TL
Pres: Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2
Cables: GAKables exclusively, AKG MK46, Naiant PFA's
Recorders: Edirol R-09HR, Edirol R-44
CPU for DSP: Toshiba Satellite A660 i7 > audioengineD1
Cans: ATH-50
VINYL: Rega Planar 3 > Rega Brio-R > Wharfedale EVO2-30

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: FR2-LE other power options *noob content*
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 10:34:07 AM »
if you are going in via the 12v then you want to set it at 12v
i also recall reading that the setting doesn't really mean much other then it helps keep a more accurate "remaining life" of the battery on the screen
i am not sure if thats true but i saw it somewhere
the rc option is really great though you should check it out before having extra external items imo
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline jibooer

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 10:51:56 AM »
thx will, i appreciate your reply.
Mics: AKG c460b (ck61, ck62, ck63, ck1x, ck3x), NBob Actives, Naiant Actives, ADK A-51TL

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 01:04:43 PM »
Some time ago found posting pertaining to this subject about powering FR2-LE with Alkaline D cells on Fostex site.  Converted to PDF file and just uploaded to my site.
Download target file: www.sonicstudios.com/Fostex Forums D-Cell Battery Pack.pdf

My own external deck powering solutions (maybe use this for DIY reference if for nothing else): www.sonicstudios.com/batsys98.htm

My retail section external powering solution (open for comments) at: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=83618.0
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 12:43:33 AM »
I don't see any reason you couldn't use that battery. It's pricey, but it looks really good for long festivals where there are a lot of acts you want to record and there is no way to recharge batteries.

Running it 12V into the DC port on the FR2LE would work fine.

I don't have any experience with the FR2LE powered externally, but I've powered many other devices with similar batteries without issue.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 12:51:44 PM »
Here are my battery powering tests for the FR-2le, http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,98557.msg1389778.html#msg1389778 Note particularly the results with the 8xD-cell pack.
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 04:56:00 PM »
From your test data:

"-External, 8xD alkaline, wired in series for 12v output, with 0-15v panel volt meter; deck ran until voltage dropped to ~5.75v, though I didn't start with a fresh pack. I'd estimate ~15 hours run-time with new batts**, but the shutdown voltage reading was the key piece of information in this test.

[Edit: **After some real-world field use, I have some updated results. I was able to record 32+ hours on a new set of Duracell D batteries, and the battery level meter still showed about 60% (~10 volts). Yeah. Figure in another 20-25% additional time the unit was in standby mode for sound checks, and the capacity of this simple and inexpensive pack is phenomenal. I could use these same batteries next year and they could record another whole festival. No expensive RC batts and chargers for me, thanks.]"

This illustrates the advantages of using regular D alkaline cells.  Namely light weight extremely powerful external powering of recording gear.  I do have an equivalent very ruggedized 8 D cell battery sled made from no longer (available from stock) high reliability plastic materials. 

Sonic Studios BD-8 model(s) can be fitted with appropriate power plug fitting the FR2-LE and other decks accepting 12 volts and working to ~5.75 volts end-of-batterypack-service voltage.  BD-8 has option of disconnect from output cord connector so a different output power plug patch cord fitting other deck models is possible, and this makes the BGD-8, which is costly-to-make, a better investment as it typically lasts over 10 years of regular use without reliability issues.

"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline willndmb

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 12:14:45 PM »
to each is own but if i was going to buy a $225 tray to use D batts why wouldn't i just buy the rc packs??
i see it posted as no expensive rc packs or chargers - but you can get over 6hrs on a rc pack and 2 packs with charger cost around $60
i just don't see how it would be worth it to carry and external pack compared to the benefits
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 04:59:02 PM »
Has anyone tried the standard "Walmart" dvd packs?

I realize these only output 9v (and will turn off if too much current is drawn), but the FR2-LE has an internal regulator, so I'm wondering if it would still work.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 05:05:26 PM »
I haven't tried the WallyWorld DVD battery but I have run it on a 9.6v 3000mAh RC battery with unit set for whatever the setting is for a 7.2v rc batt (it's been so long since I've used the LE I forget exact what the setting is). Unit ran fine. Don't see why there would be a problem with everyone's favorite DVD battery.

I already had the 9.6v RC batts with Tamiya connectors so I decided to try them before buying a 7.2v. The 9.6 is too long to fit in the battery compartment but other than that it worked well.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 05:11:28 PM »
I guess the question is what circuitry is inside.  Is that external jack connected to the same place as the tayima connector?  I don't have the energy to take my unit apart (again!), but perhaps someone like Busman would know.  I'm sure he's traced the circuit on this thing.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline jibooer

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 05:39:52 PM »
^ I would be interested in the answer too...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.11 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com