Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: any pre's easily available via retail stores sound good unmodded???  (Read 4849 times)

Offline mikesalvo

• Trade Count: (51)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • get your Avett on!!!
im leaning towards a modded UA5, but I may also be able to pick up a pre at a discount through a friends music store. do any readily available pre's sound good unmodded? In particular, something thats commonly available through retail music stores???
AKG se300b (ck/91, ck/93) > Busman T-Mod R-4

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My cd List
Re: any pre's easily available via retail stores sound good unmodded???
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 11:16:57 AM »
Some places might carry the Apogee products. I like both the MiniMP and the MiniMe sound.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline kozakz

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 11:59:49 AM »
I recommend M-Audio Fastrack Pro. It got much "warmer" sound than stock UA-5 (IMHO). Everytime I recorded with UA-5 and Fastrack the result was much better with M-Audio. It is quite strange, but this is how I feel.

Offline kozakz

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 12:01:07 PM »
I just seen your signature :)

My experience is from use of AT4051a  and AT853.

easy jim

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 02:03:31 PM »
Sound Devices MixPre

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 08:34:27 AM »
Why do people think something has to be modded to sound good?

Do you really think all these gear manufacturers can't get it right for their own products?

Just wondering why everyone around here seems to think "stock" is a bad thing.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 08:43:28 AM »

Do you really think all these gear manufacturers can't get it right for their own products?

audiophile disease?

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 09:20:40 AM »

amen to that. if it needs to be modded to sound "good", then i don't consider it a worthwhile product.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 09:51:30 AM »
 My novice opinion is that modding a device is usually a matter of degrees. They are trying to eek something a bit better from a stock device. Of course that doesn't really apply to something like the digimod of the UA-5 where the mod is to make it do something it wasn't originally designed to do. But modding preamps and power supplies is a matter of making something good into something slightly better. And of course some of it is just snob appeal  ;)

That said, I wish my UA-5 was modded. Maybe one day. But I can't really complain about what I'm getting out of it either. Maybe I'll develop that discerning ear one day but actually I hope I don't. I want to focus on  the music, not the "quality" of the recording.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 11:24:04 AM »

stock is never a "bad" thing..   Have you ever tried to record a loud PA sourced show with a pair of condensers (sens level 10) straight into a dap1 using phantom?    if so..  The dap1, as you would find out, is not made to do this.   Very similar to the ua5 scenario whereas a modification to the preamp stage of the dap1 "makes it do something it wasnt designed to do" ...  ala the digi mod to a ua5..

while tascam got the dap1 "right" for recording digital signals and low db soundsources via mic in/preamp (which it did pretty well, built like a tank!), they (tascam) certainly did not build the machine exclusively for tapers so they can record PA's..    The dap1 also recorded line level signals pretty well, as I did use mine with a grace v2 which means I never needed my dap1 modded.   I did record some stuff straight into the dap1 on occasion, like acoustic stuff, and it sounded friggin great!     So I can see how one would be tempted to swap out some parts in the preamp section so that the dap1 could be used as an "all in one box" for most taping situations..   

Would modding the dap1 be worthwhile?     I dont see why not..   which is why oade modded many of them to do this.. 

Same goes for my fr2le..    While it sounds good stock, I see no reason why it would be frowned upon to change a few amps here and there to make it sound great in any PA/acoustic/supa-loud environment.. 

The complaints I heard about the AD1000 for years were:  "the a/d is sweet!  I just which the preamps were tighter/better etc"..    If someone were doing a preamp mod to the AD1K back 15 years ago, do you think there would have been lots of AD1K owners sending their units in for mods?    hmmm..       I think yes....
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 11:40:17 AM »
Stock isn't necessarily a bad thing but upgrading components in a mass produced piece can easily make it sound better.  You have to remember that R&D isn't the only one in the room making decisions on build. Marketing, and Budgeting are in on the meeting too.  What may seem like just $10-20 in parts per unit may not be a big deal to you an me but if you multiply that by thousands... well you can get the picture.  We've been told that decisions were made to go with a poorer sounding 24bit converter than a better sounding 16bit converter in a particular CD recorder because marketing had made the decision that the 24bit number on the side of the box will sell better.

That being said, a company like edirol or Tascam can afford to buy in scale therefore they can produce basic products with a much lower pricetag that a boutique company who's sole purpose is to provide the best sounding unit they can design. So you take a unit at a lower price point that functions wel,l add some quality components and you can end up with a real bang/buck piece of gear.

And as for sound... If you've done comparisons on many of the mods available, even those that don't modify the intent of the piece, you can see why they're fluffed by folks around here.
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 01:22:02 PM »
to play devils advocate, perhaps the op was referrering to the fact that a ua-5 needs to be modded in order to be able to be used in the field (the straight up digi mod), not necessarily the modding of the sound and what not.

when i think of what is available at commerical music stores (sam ash, guitar center, etc) nothing comes to mind as even being usable - with or without modifcations - unless you are willing to use a rolls phantom power supply and a coule of hosa transformers.
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 03:41:22 PM »
to play devils advocate, perhaps the op was referrering to the fact that a ua-5 needs to be modded in order to be able to be used in the field (the straight up digi mod), not necessarily the modding of the sound and what not.

when i think of what is available at commerical music stores (sam ash, guitar center, etc) nothing comes to mind as even being usable - with or without modifcations - unless you are willing to use a rolls phantom power supply and a coule of hosa transformers.

Which is absolutely an option and what I used to do..   the akgB18 phantom power supplies and two transformers.  This method, however, gives you less control over the varying levels of soundsources you encounter.   Some shows to soft even with the transformers OR some to loud so you run without them BUT with both, you still get stuck not having ideal levels..    Not a big deal of course, but it does make you want to move up to a ext. pre or modded box etc.......
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 06:55:26 PM »
im leaning towards a modded UA5, but I may also be able to pick up a pre at a discount through a friends music store. do any readily available pre's sound good unmodded? In particular, something thats commonly available through retail music stores???

Here's another vote for a Sound Devices product.  They are pretty widely distributed and you won't be disappointed with it...
also an Apogee mini-me or mini-mp would be a great choice.

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • beep boop
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 04:06:23 PM »
You can walk into most Guitar Centers & get a M-Audio fast track pro, which will 100% work as a 2 channel preamp/A>D, unmodded. It will also run on a DVD battery with a RS adaptaplug, I believe it is type 'M', but standard polarity, unlike the UA-5.

I have absolutely no idea why this isn't the beginer box of choice in our hobby.
In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 04:52:42 PM »
You can walk into most Guitar Centers & get a M-Audio fast track pro, which will 100% work as a 2 channel preamp/A>D, unmodded. It will also run on a DVD battery with a RS adaptaplug, I believe it is type 'M', but standard polarity, unlike the UA-5.

I have absolutely no idea why this isn't the beginer box of choice in our hobby.

If anyone gets one of these, please post the insides.  I'm curious what is in there (... and if it can be modded  >:D).

Seriously, I agree, this *would* have been the beginner box for us.  Except i only came a few years too late.  Most of us already had (modded) UA5's.  Those that needed gear bought the modded UA5's as other people upgraded to all-in-one.

Now, I see no reason to go with the Maudio.  The all-in-one, like the Fostex FR-2LE is such a good deal and such a nice package.  It even sounds great unmodded.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

kirk97132

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 05:22:20 PM »
probably a stupid question but here we go anyway.  Can the fast track pro do the poor mans matrix like the UA5 can?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com