Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Wav splitting on a Mac?  (Read 12706 times)

Offline Brian E.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • is chicago.... is not chicago....
Wav splitting on a Mac?
« on: August 16, 2009, 02:35:38 PM »
CDWAVE is a no-go on Macs, and that's what I used to use.  I have Audacity, but I don't see a track split option.  Help!

splitting a 24-bit 48K recording.
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline E@rl

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Wav splitting on a Mac?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 03:22:46 PM »
Create a label at the part where you want to split the tracks ( Tracks> create label at selection)  and then use the (File> export multiple) function to create two .wav tracks.

If you have the beta version you can export them straight to .flac... or whatever type of file you'd like... hope that helps...
Busman BSC1 K1 K2 K3 K4> BM2p+ mod UA-5> JB3 or MacBook

Offline Brian E.

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 03:52:38 PM »
thanks I will try that

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 05:40:54 PM »
Not sure if this is what you're after or if E@rl's got you covered, but if you're trying to work on just one channel, on the left side of the wav there's a scroll down that allows you to "split stereo track" and "make stereo track" (once it's been split).
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline Brian E.

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 05:56:26 PM »
just looking to track shows by song.  I found the easiest way was to plug my external in a PC and use CDWAVE, haha.  Wish I could find a similar mac product.

Offline printguy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Rockin' in Toronto
    • hipfans.com
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 05:59:06 PM »
just looking to track shows by song.  I found the easiest way was to plug my external in a PC and use CDWAVE, haha.  Wish I could find a similar mac product.

Fission: http://rogueamoeba.com/fission/

Super easy to use. And Mac only. Try it for free...
• CA-11 or CA-14 > Naiant TinyBox > Tascam DR-1
• Neumann KM184s > R-44

Offline Brian E.

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 06:12:46 PM »
thanks chris!

Offline dean

• The Dude abides...
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 06:15:10 PM »

Oh, gotcha.  It's easier if you use labels in Audacity instead of the method E@rl described, IMO.  So you've got the full show up, follow these instructions:
1.  Find where you want to split the track and set your cursor there.  You MUST make a mark where you want your first track in Audacity.  Everything before that first track mark doesn't export when you set tracks this way.
2.  From the top menu, select Project, scroll down to Add Label At Selection. (If it's the first track or last track, you'll want to do your fades immediately by selecting that track marker, drag the cursor to where you want the fade to start/stop, then make the fade).
3.  Make the rest of your tracks, and when done, from the top menu, select File, then scroll down to Export Multiple, then...
4.  Task box pops up, select WAV, select your location, select Numbering Consecutively (then make any changes in the naming box if you want), then Export.  It will number your wavs for you do to the Numbering Consecutively selection.

It'll create an "extra" track with all the wav following your last track marker.  Just delete that file and you've got a fully tracked out show.

And of course, on a Mac you may need to fix SBE's (I use xACT), though I know there's a method of creating your tracks in Audacity so SBE's aren't created to begin with.  If you do a search here you'll find it in one of the many Audacity threads.  I'm just so accustomed to doing it the other way it's become a habit.
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

Offline E@rl

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 07:14:32 PM »

Oh, gotcha.  It's easier if you use labels in Audacity instead of the method E@rl described, IMO.  So you've got the full show up, follow these instructions:
1.  Find where you want to split the track and set your cursor there.  You MUST make a mark where you want your first track in Audacity.  Everything before that first track mark doesn't export when you set tracks this way.
2.  From the top menu, select Project, scroll down to Add Label At Selection. (If it's the first track or last track, you'll want to do your fades immediately by selecting that track marker, drag the cursor to where you want the fade to start/stop, then make the fade).
3.  Make the rest of your tracks, and when done, from the top menu, select File, then scroll down to Export Multiple, then...
4.  Task box pops up, select WAV, select your location, select Numbering Consecutively (then make any changes in the naming box if you want), then Export.  It will number your wavs for you do to the Numbering Consecutively selection.

It'll create an "extra" track with all the wav following your last track marker.  Just delete that file and you've got a fully tracked out show.

And of course, on a Mac you may need to fix SBE's (I use xACT), though I know there's a method of creating your tracks in Audacity so SBE's aren't created to begin with.  If you do a search here you'll find it in one of the many Audacity threads.  I'm just so accustomed to doing it the other way it's become a habit.

This is what i was going for just didnt want to type it all out... plus i wasnt sure if you were tracking out a show or just splitting one track.
Busman BSC1 K1 K2 K3 K4> BM2p+ mod UA-5> JB3 or MacBook

Offline greenone

• Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 10:50:50 PM »
Dean (or anyone) - how do you get the export at 24-bit wav? I have a 24/96 file that I'm splitting but I don't have just plain "WAV" in my Export Format dropdown - it gives me the 16-bit wav/aiff option but no 24-bit option. I can do "Other uncompressed files" but when I select WAV and 24-bit there, it exports as 16/96. And am I correct that there's no need to fix SBE's on 24-bit files?

Update - export as 24-bit FLAC appears to work correctly so I'm mystified as to why 24-bit WAV won't work. What am I doing wrong?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 10:54:13 PM by greenone »
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline dean

• The Dude abides...
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 08:14:06 AM »
Dean (or anyone) - how do you get the export at 24-bit wav? I have a 24/96 file that I'm splitting but I don't have just plain "WAV" in my Export Format dropdown - it gives me the 16-bit wav/aiff option but no 24-bit option. I can do "Other uncompressed files" but when I select WAV and 24-bit there, it exports as 16/96. And am I correct that there's no need to fix SBE's on 24-bit files?

Update - export as 24-bit FLAC appears to work correctly so I'm mystified as to why 24-bit WAV won't work. What am I doing wrong?

It seems like you're doing it right from your description, but when I do what I think you're doing as described above, it def exports as 24 bit.  I use an older version of Audacity, so I hope they haven't changed anything in regards to 24 bit export.  Here's the exact path I use - perhaps I'm doing something you missed??
Audacity>
Preferences>
In the "Uncompressed Export Format section, select the dropdown/scrollbar>
It's likely set to "WAV (Microsoft 16 bit PCM)", so select "Other">
This creates a pop up box, in the Header selection, select WAV, in the Encoding selection, select "Signed 24 bit PCM", then OK>
Select OK on the main Preferences menu

Should be good to go as best I can tell. 

And you're correct, no need nor ability to fix SBEs in 24 bit.  It's not recognized as "CD quality" or something like that, which is the "error message" that pops when I tried to fix 'em at 24 bit in xACT.

HTH.  Let me know if I misread you.

Offline greenone

• Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 10:09:13 PM »
I'm not doing it in Preferences, but selecting it from the dialogue when I hit Export Multiple. I'm not running the absolutely latest Audacity - 1.3.6 - but pretty close. It's not a huge deal as I don't usually work with 24-bit files in my workflow (these are from another taper), so as long as the FLAC export works fine, I'll live with it. Thanks :)
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline dean

• The Dude abides...
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 12:24:09 PM »
I'm not doing it in Preferences, but selecting it from the dialogue when I hit Export Multiple. I'm not running the absolutely latest Audacity - 1.3.6 - but pretty close. It's not a huge deal as I don't usually work with 24-bit files in my workflow (these are from another taper), so as long as the FLAC export works fine, I'll live with it. Thanks :)

Oh, yep, you'll have to change it back and forth in the preferences if you want to avoid the flac output.  I'm not yet running a flac output version, but I'd actually prefer that, so maybe it's time for me to download the latest Audacity.   :)

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2009, 10:09:13 PM »
if you are using audacity export to 16/44 first
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2010, 01:14:22 PM »
instead of starting a new thread i thought this might be a good one to resurrect...i posted this in team osx not long ago but didn't get much feedback.
anyway, found this recently:
http://feeds.gawker.com/~r/lifehacker/full/~3/xK3Vqu7Viv0/winebottler-turns-windows-programs-into-standalone-os-x-applications

i figure some clever nerdy type out there could figure out how to "bottle" cd wave editor into a standalone osx ap with this utility.  i tried it but didn't know what i was doing and thus didn't get very far.  anyone wanna give it a try?
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com