Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Reaper users?  (Read 10388 times)

Offline Twenty8

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Heading for a better thesis
Reaper users?
« on: December 31, 2018, 06:18:29 PM »
How many people here use Reaper?

Its the only DAW I currently use.  I mainly use it for my podcast.  I have really grown into it, understand a wide variety of features and have a good grasp on so much that it has to offer.

As I move into taping, I am wondering how many people here use it for their projects.
I see there is no "Team Reaper" type thread so I am curious about the quantity of users on TS.

Also... about to finally take a trial run at getting my recordings (warts and all) of Phish Dicks 18 up on to BT as a trial run for the spring/summer of my first true taping season.
I figure I should further get my feet wet with the recordings I have already made so I am prepared for faster, proper workflow in the future.
Should I stick with Reaper/Mp3tag/Trader's Little Helper for my post-process work?
Does Reaper have drawbacks for field recording processing?
Open/Closed ~ AT U853 (subc, h, c, o):
Decks ~ MixPre 6ii, A10, M10
Pres ~ 2x Oade mod UA-5 (W+, ACM+)
Also ~ Line Audio CM3/CM4/OM1 : AT3031 : AT831 : DR2D

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
Re: Reaper users?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 06:34:01 PM »
I use Audacity for amplification and fades, Reaper for EQ and tracking, and Trader's Little Helper for conversion. I'm sure there is a more efficient method.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline ycoop

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 07:05:46 PM »
I use Reaper for EQ and pseudo-M/S processing, then amplify to -1.0 dB and track in Audacity before tagging using the Live Show Tagger in foobar2000.

The ability to use VST plugins is the main reason I use Reaper. Audacity can’t do real time EQ.
Mics: Avantone CK-1s, AT853 c+o
Pres: CA9100
Recorders: DR-60d mkII, DR-2d

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 06:09:43 AM »
Daily Reaper User here.

Multitracks, 3 track, stereo. Best tool. Great price.

I run it with Softube's Console 1 and it's amazing.

Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 03:29:22 PM »
I use Reaper
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 05:37:50 PM »
Reaper is my only DAW, though I do use some other programs /plugins for support, such as iZotope RX.

The SWS Extensions are a must, IMO.
http://www.sws-extension.org/
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 10:40:35 PM »
I use and *Love* Reaper
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline kuba e

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 05:48:24 AM »
I love Reaper too.  Thanks to people here in the forum. They pointed and recommended it. You can do all operation in Reaper that are needed by tapers. What I like about Reaper is that I can make different versions of the final mix (e.g. different settings of EQ, effects or different ratio of mixes) and then compare listening by switching between these versions during playback with a simple click. Then I can generate flac files with one click for any version of the mix. It is easy do the tracking there. For advanced users, it is possible to automate the parameters of the effects.

The SWS Extensions are a must, IMO.
http://www.sws-extension.org/

Yes! Without this extension, you cannot do the above mentioned operations.

I had no experience with other DAWs, I only used Audacity. It took me a long time to learn Reaper. At first you need a lot of patience. Over the time, I discovered it's possibilities and I do not regret the learning effort.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 06:31:27 AM by kuba e »

Offline voltronic

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 06:22:25 AM »
This guide is very helpful to anyone who does concert recording / editing.  The one setting I recommend be done differently is to leave snapping enabled, but disable the grid.  That way, you can still have the benefits of snapping to your edit points or markers, but the grid (only useful for MIDI or audio recorded to a click) doesn't interfere.

http://urosbaric.com/reaper-classical-music-editing

Some of the most useful highlights here are:
Ripple Editing
Marker Lists
Convert Markers to Regions, and Render Project Regions
Render Wildcards
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline kuba e

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 06:41:33 AM »
Good link. By the way, If I remember well, Voltronic was who drew attention here to the benefits of Reaper. Thanks to you, I discovered the benefits of post-processing and found that it might not always be hell.

Offline Ronmac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2019, 08:10:15 AM »
Reaper has been my number one DAW for the past decade, switching from Adobe Audition. I admire the developers for packing so much power into such a tightly coded machine.

Recently I have been moving more towards another DAW, Studio One, as it has fewer distractions and is tightly integrated with my main interface (Studio 192) and controller (Faderport 8).

Reaper has been rock solid for me, both as a live recording interface and a studio editor. If it was the only DAW on earth I could keep on trucking, and not miss much from the other DAWS I use regularly (Studio One, Harrison Mixbuss 32C, Samplitude, AA).

Offline voltronic

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 07:40:02 PM »
A lot of people will talk about a steep learning curve with Reaper.  I found it no more difficult to learn than any other DAW.  It is also frequently updated, and there are no arbitrary limitations such as track counts.  Whatever your hardware can handle, it will do.

I am no audio professional, but I am at the point that I can track and render an entire 2-hour concert in about 10 minutes using Reaper and SWS Extensions.  The longest part of my post work is spent in iZotope RX Spectral Denoise, as I record classical / acoustic in places with quiet audiences but loud HVAC.  I usually do global level adjustment there also, if needed.  Once I pop into Reaper, I can just fly through the editing.

Here's a thread from a couple years ago with some more helpful stuff:
taperssection.com/index.php?topic=174517.msg2199750
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2019, 11:31:01 PM »
Its my main DAW, although I use Isotope for fixes and Adobe Audition CC for Time Alignment
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2019, 01:36:57 PM »
A lot of people will talk about a steep learning curve with Reaper.  I found it no more difficult to learn than any other DAW.  It is also frequently updated, and there are no arbitrary limitations such as track counts.  Whatever your hardware can handle, it will do.

I am no audio professional, but I am at the point that I can track and render an entire 2-hour concert in about 10 minutes using Reaper and SWS Extensions.  The longest part of my post work is spent in iZotope RX Spectral Denoise, as I record classical / acoustic in places with quiet audiences but loud HVAC.  I usually do global level adjustment there also, if needed.  Once I pop into Reaper, I can just fly through the editing.

I take it you can output a folder of seamless WAVs? Last time I attempted song splits in Reaper I couldn't get rid of tiny gaps between the files, and have been using CDWave to split into songs after rendering a single WAV in Reaper. I'd love to be able to do it all in Reaper.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2019, 04:36:56 PM »

I take it you can output a folder of seamless WAVs? Last time I attempted song splits in Reaper I couldn't get rid of tiny gaps between the files, and have been using CDWave to split into songs after rendering a single WAV in Reaper. I'd love to be able to do it all in Reaper.

I'm not Voltronic, but mine render perfectly with no gaps using regions to split tracks. I simply insert markers to start each track and insert regions between them. Then go to File>Render and select the options in the screenshot below.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.252 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com