Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New SONY PCM-A10  (Read 126250 times)

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
Re: New SONY PCM-A10
« Reply #361 on: July 22, 2019, 09:33:07 PM »
I can confirm that you can power the A10 with a power bank while recording. I may sell my M10 with this development...
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #362 on: July 23, 2019, 12:33:39 PM »
My unit has an issue.

I was doing low level tests of ambient sounds and noticed a click click click not always there but most of the time.External mics(3 different sets)built in mics and audio in with preamp.All produced this light low level click sound.You probably wouldn't notice at rock levels but mine is going back unfortunately.

Here is a 10 sec sample if anyone is interested.The most obvious of all recordings some were so low but still audible on headphones.

https://we.tl/t-EfYXovHiK2

That's a nasty surprise.  Has anybody else here experienced this?  Granted, I'm wondering how audible any of that would be with "louder rooms" but still unnerving to hear that.  I was thinking of picking one up but this one is a deterrent.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #363 on: July 23, 2019, 02:42:50 PM »
My unit has an issue.

I was doing low level tests of ambient sounds and noticed a click click click not always there but most of the time.External mics(3 different sets)built in mics and audio in with preamp.All produced this light low level click sound.You probably wouldn't notice at rock levels but mine is going back unfortunately.

Here is a 10 sec sample if anyone is interested.The most obvious of all recordings some were so low but still audible on headphones.

That's a nasty surprise.  Has anybody else here experienced this?  Granted, I'm wondering how audible any of that would be with "louder rooms" but still unnerving to hear that.  I was thinking of picking one up but this one is a deterrent.

Haven't seen any more reports of this but im holding off on this unit for now.Just stick with my M-10,DR-2d for now.

Offline adrianf74

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #364 on: July 23, 2019, 03:39:56 PM »
My unit has an issue.

Haven't seen any more reports of this but im holding off on this unit for now.Just stick with my M-10,DR-2d for now.
Dumb question: is there any sort of firmware update available?  And if there is, does this remedy it?  Just thought I'd ask (but knowing Sony, there isn't).
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline chk

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #365 on: July 23, 2019, 03:55:00 PM »
Wow that clicking is no bueno. I can confirm that my A10 definitely does not do this.

Offline fobstl

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #366 on: July 23, 2019, 04:11:19 PM »
My unit has an issue.

Was it doing this on the internal memory or a micro SD card, or both? Could a bad card cause this issue?

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #367 on: July 23, 2019, 04:24:14 PM »
This was the internal memory at 24/48 also 24/96.It was audible about 65 percent of the time on all low level tests.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #368 on: July 23, 2019, 05:46:11 PM »
Wow that clicking is no bueno. I can confirm that my A10 definitely does not do this.

same, and ive looked at plenty of low level recordings to see the noise floor

send that shit back
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #369 on: July 23, 2019, 09:14:36 PM »
Has anyone established what unity gain is for "audio in" mode?
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #370 on: July 24, 2019, 10:54:53 AM »
Those clicks - actually peak to -22dB below full scale, are always the same shape, 8 samples long, but with ringing in the tail.  I'd guess at a static discharge within a circuit capacitor - or in a connected mic.  Have you tried swapping the mics over to the opposite channel, or connecting a different input device (or none)?  And retesting in a different location, also being sure you don't have a mobile phone too near? 

Offline Falconidave

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "I went to too many concerts" said no one ever!
« Reply #371 on: July 27, 2019, 11:24:28 AM »
My unit has an issue.

I just received mine yesterday, and it has the clicking issue only when I mash on the physical level switch. When I use the phone app to adjust levels, no such clicking on the recording. Weird, sounds like a hardware issue. The app is rock solid though, unlike Roland's attempt on the R-07.
Mics: Schoeps MK41; AT853(3-wire)(c,o); AT943(3-wire)(c,o); AT933(3-wire)(c,o); Shure 185(c); Sony ECM-166BMP (o); Sony ECM-166BC (c).
Interconnects: NBob Actives
Preamps: BabyNbox v2
Recorders: Sony PCM-A10(2); Sony PCM-M10; Edirol R-09HR; Sony MZ-RH1
Video: Panasonic HDC-TM700 HD; Panasonic Lumix GX85; Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS100; Canon PowerShot SX50 HD; Sony DSC-HX50V

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #372 on: July 27, 2019, 10:05:20 PM »
My unit has an issue.

I just received mine yesterday, and it has the clicking issue only when I mash on the physical level switch. When I use the phone app to adjust levels, no such clicking on the recording. Weird, sounds like a hardware issue. The app is rock solid though, unlike Roland's attempt on the R-07.

Mine clicked without any volume adjustments.It has been returned.

I guess i got a lemon?Might come back to one of these in the future but for now can't risk this type of issue so sticking with trusty M-10.

Offline Brian E.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • is chicago.... is not chicago....
« Reply #373 on: July 30, 2019, 02:56:29 PM »
Mine just arrived,it is tiny.

what's that amp?

It is Sonic Studios PA24-U

https://web.archive.org/web/20180113110109/http://www.sonicstudios.com/access.htm#micamp

Thanks!

I can confirm that you can power the A10 with a power bank while recording. I may sell my M10 with this development...

While cool (I assume through USB?), I can't imagine a situation where this would run out of juice.
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline adrianf74

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #374 on: August 03, 2019, 09:48:14 AM »
Joining the team in about a week when my deck arrives.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.115 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com