Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Are MiniDiscs Dead?  (Read 14849 times)

nameloc01

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Are MiniDiscs Dead?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2007, 11:18:42 PM »
no anxiety here, i have been stockpiling blank hi-mds for a while now,i am set for quite a while.

Where do you get them and how much do you pay?

MD isnt dead...they still sell quite well in Japan so as long as the market stays alive over there we will be able to get discs over here.

A 2 GB disc would be nice but I dont know if that is physically possible.  Now having the MD record in ATRAC lossless would be nice cause an 80 min disc would turn into a 60min ATRAC lossless disc and the 1gb would go for over 3 hours.  Not that I really ever need anything longer then 90 min it would be a nice option.

Would have also needed a better program to transfer them and a direct WAV recording instead of the OMA/OMG crap.

As for the sonic stage program...well its a little bulky but still really easy to upload shows.  Are you really the inconvenienced by opening up some software and clicking the upload button?
Greg, as far as md blanks, there is only one place i go ( this is gonna sound like a pitch)  Tapewarehouse 800-659-8273, they are the cheapest i've found anywhere.they are around 4.60ish a blank ( 1gb blank)  ( i may be off a few cents, i usually always order in 5's)

Offline dunebug81

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2007, 11:32:24 PM »
no anxiety here, i have been stockpiling blank hi-mds for a while now,i am set for quite a while.

Where do you get them and how much do you pay?

MD isnt dead...they still sell quite well in Japan so as long as the market stays alive over there we will be able to get discs over here.

A 2 GB disc would be nice but I dont know if that is physically possible.  Now having the MD record in ATRAC lossless would be nice cause an 80 min disc would turn into a 60min ATRAC lossless disc and the 1gb would go for over 3 hours.  Not that I really ever need anything longer then 90 min it would be a nice option.

Would have also needed a better program to transfer them and a direct WAV recording instead of the OMA/OMG crap.

As for the sonic stage program...well its a little bulky but still really easy to upload shows.  Are you really the inconvenienced by opening up some software and clicking the upload button?
Greg, as far as md blanks, there is only one place i go ( this is gonna sound like a pitch)  Tapewarehouse 800-659-8273, they are the cheapest i've found anywhere.they are around 4.60ish a blank ( 1gb blank)  ( i may be off a few cents, i usually always order in 5's)

Sweet, I go there on a weekly basis...I live about 10 min away from them.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/
aim: dunebug81

Offline PushingMe

• Taperssection Newbie
    • My Website
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2007, 12:24:56 PM »

Looks like you've never had any error on a MD. If you ever got any, the show won't be transferable. I got about 5 like this. Plus SonicStage is not working on Vista.
DPA 4061 > DPA MMA6000 > Edirol R-09
Soundman OKM II Rock-Studio > A3 > Edirol R-09

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2007, 01:20:59 PM »

Looks like you've never had any error on a MD. If you ever got any, the show won't be transferable. I got about 5 like this. Plus SonicStage is not working on Vista.

I have had a few errors and you can either play the disc in SS and all but once has that not helped.  I just put track marks in there and uploaded what I could.  You can also just play the disc and run line out to mic in if youre having trouble with the 1st work around.

There is an update for SS and Vista.  I dont run vista but you can look on minidisc.org for info on that.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

Offline Frosty

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2007, 07:59:20 PM »

The tapewarehouse tip is excellent, thanks!   Now, as it so happens, I stopped by a local Guitar Center this afternoon and they price matched tapewarehouse.  I cleaned them out (all 5).   ;)

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2007, 05:39:09 PM »
I have 10 Hi-MD's and 35 regular MD's  I think I am set for life as they are good, each, for several hundred thousand plays.

Cheers
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline bobcat

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2007, 06:49:36 PM »

i like MD...my sony i bought used 'but like new' off of ebay is giving me problems though..the line in jack needs to be replaced. hopefully i can do something about that. im workin on it

but i bought another md off josphenine actually...its first time in action is this wednesday..so i hope all goes well

i like md myself..it sounds good and the compression doesnt bother me..i use LP2 as well and im happy with it.  i will use md till there gone totally i think

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2007, 09:17:10 PM »
I am not sure why it never took off.  MD's were never considered as serious recording devices.  There are some folks on the board getting better recordins with them than with iRivers and some other less expensive recorders.  I guess SONY just did not sell it right.  I have always been happy with the two I have, N1 and Rh1.

Cheers
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline tiberiusbkirk

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2007, 09:23:51 PM »
currently, recording with MDs is all I could afford.
it's given me some priceless enjoyment, I should of found it earlier.

nameloc01

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2007, 11:18:39 PM »
I have about 30 himd blanks right now. I keep separate masters for every show....it seems wrong to delete them. I would like to pick an rh1 before they get really hard to find, i would like 2 units with illuminated displays. ( my rh910 does not)

Offline tms

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2007, 11:01:01 AM »
Stopped by my local Guitar Center to see a edirol r-09 in person and they have thier last 3 hi-md's on clearance.  $125 for a MZ10 (?) and $150 for a MZ100(?)  , less than 1/2 price.  :( 

I still occasionally record on md and love it, 7 hours on a single AA battery!  and it's a sport version so virtually waterproof. 

I did a comparison a while back and there was a difference due to the compression when that was the only variable, but it was slight to my ears,  imo getting to the show early and setting the mics in a better spot way overcomes the losses from atrac. 

With the hi-md units that's not an issue but they went to a special battery, so I'm not interested

Todd in Buffalo
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Ben Franklin

SP-CMC-4 (AT853) > SP battery box > Edirol R-09

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2007, 01:21:01 PM »
Stopped by my local Guitar Center to see a edirol r-09 in person and they have thier last 3 hi-md's on clearance.  $125 for a MZ10 (?) and $150 for a MZ100(?)  , less than 1/2 price.  :( 

I still occasionally record on md and love it, 7 hours on a single AA battery!  and it's a sport version so virtually waterproof. 

I did a comparison a while back and there was a difference due to the compression when that was the only variable, but it was slight to my ears,  imo getting to the show early and setting the mics in a better spot way overcomes the losses from atrac. 

With the hi-md units that's not an issue but they went to a special battery, so I'm not interested

Todd in Buffalo

If i could find an RH1 for cheap Id buy another one.  The lithium gumstick that is used by the RH1 is really nice and lasts for about 6 or so hours on PCM with the light off.  I got a car USB charger and the non-AA battery has never really been an issue.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

Offline elsongs

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2007, 06:55:20 AM »
I was a huge proponent of MDs...Mini Disc.org even mentioned my name and linked it to an interview by a webzine in Asia where I told them I used my MD to sample various sounds while traveling as source material for some of my electronic music at the time.

I was never into Sony MDs. I was a Sharp person all the way -- I loved the fact that you can adjust REC level while it's recording; you could never do that on the Sonys.

I started with a Sharp MT-15S back in 2000. That eventually broke around 2004 (bad laser) and I found an MT-190 on eBay for less than it cost to repair the MT-15S! In the pre-iPod era, I also used my Sharp MD recorder as a playback device, and recorded some of my favorite CDs from my collection to MD since I can listen to a whole bunch of them on a long 13-hour airline flight rather than the 3 hours a (more bulkier) portable CD player would give me.

Eventually, I used the MT-190 to record my band rehearsals using one of those ubiquitous Sony Stereo mics. But I longed for those new digital recorders since the weakness of my MD was that I had to encode any audio via real-time playback, whereas the new recorders required a simple wave transfer.

I got a Zoom H2 last month, and I guess there's no turning back. But now I have several MDs and the MT-190 (which occasionally gives me badly-distorted low-frequency recordings - an example can be heard here: http://www.elsongs.com/rehearsals/060215/060215_hearts.mp3)

What's the best thing to do with an old MD recorder?

Offline tms

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2007, 11:29:55 AM »
I can adjust the level on mine while recording.  It's a Sony MZ-S1 S2 Sports Net MD MiniDisc Player, kind of cool since it's water-resistant.

I'm not sure what to do with it and the Sony deck I converted for opti-dig out.  Guess I'll hold onto them as a back up to my R-09.

I was never into Sony MDs. I was a Sharp person all the way -- I loved the fact that you can adjust REC level while it's recording; you could never do that on the Sonys.

What's the best thing to do with an old MD recorder?
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Ben Franklin

SP-CMC-4 (AT853) > SP battery box > Edirol R-09

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.253 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com