Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: questions about edirol r-09 memory cards  (Read 6313 times)

Offline goldenbreast

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
questions about edirol r-09 memory cards
« on: February 24, 2008, 06:25:48 AM »
hi all

whats the best memory card to buy for use with the edirol r-09?. i am in the uk and can pick up 4gb cards for around £10-15 including brands such as kingston, sandisk and transcend. ive read that the kingstons are pretty good

also, i have heard that you need to format the memory cards which reduces capacity - is that right?. if thats the case, how much space would be left on a 4gb card?. what sort of recording times at 16 bit wav could i expect to get after formatting?

would appreciate some responses

thanks

Alex

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: questions about edirol r-09 memory cards
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 07:46:27 AM »
Hi!

whats the best memory card to buy for use with the edirol r-09?. i am in the uk and can pick up 4gb cards for around £10-15 including brands such as kingston, sandisk and transcend. ive read that the kingstons are pretty good

Those brands should be fine.

also, i have heard that you need to format the memory cards which reduces capacity - is that right?.

Huh? You need to format any memory (be it a memory card or a hard disk) before you can use it. But this never reduces the capacity. You'll get exactly the space your card provides. Unfortunately, the manufacturers believe that 1 GB is 1000^3 Bytes. But actually, 1 GB is 1024^3 Bytes in the computer world. So, if you buy a 1 GB card, you'll always end up with about 953 "real" Megabytes of space.

if thats the case, how much space would be left on a 4gb card?. what sort of recording times at 16 bit wav could i expect to get after formatting?

4 * 1000^3 Bytes = 3814 Megabytes

To get the recording time at 16-bit/44.1 kHz, just divide the number of Megabytes by 10 and you'll get the minutes of recording time.
In this case, 3814 Megabytes equals approximately 381 minutes.

Offline goldenbreast

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 12:45:42 PM »
many, many thanks for your advice!. i'll be picking up a few soon

Offline jamroom

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 06:11:10 AM »
Hey GB - how you doin?

A 4gb card formatted in an R09 will give you 3.74gb (mine does).

Offline excowboy

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 10:17:32 AM »
Hello all,

This is my first post to TS... I am currently road-testing an Edirol R-09 (firmware: v1.30) for a friend, as we will hopefully making some SBD tapes in the near future with this unit, with a Sony TCD-D8 as a backup.  I've had a play around with the automatic file split feature, the card that is being used is a Sandisk 4GB SDHC card, and I just wondered if anybody has noticed the problem that I have found...

I did a test where I hooked up a CD player to the Edirol's line-in, and set the WAV quality to 48k 24-bit.  The max file limit was set to 2GB, so after it had reached the limit and successfully started capturing to a 2nd file, I stopped the recording and transferred the recordings to my PC.  Upon appending the beginning of the 2nd file to the end of the 1st, I could hear a slight but definite "click" where the 2 WAV files meet.  I was very surprised about this, as I have been reading this board and haven't seen any posts where people are claiming any clicks between split files.

I re-did the test, doing manual file splits, with the same results: a slight click between joins.
Then I set the unit to 44.1k 24-bit... performed the same test... this time there were no clicks!
Redid the test with the unit set to 48k 16-bit.... the clicks came back...
Redid the test with the unit set to 44.1k 16-bit... no clicks this time.
I even tried recording at 48k using a 48k DAT source (albeit with an analog connection), the clicks are there on both the 16 and 24 bit settings.

So... does anybody have any further suggestions?  Should I try a different memory card?  Or is the unit faulty?  Can anybody else reproduce this behaviour?

Kind regards,
Gary

Offline jamroom

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 12:34:27 PM »
^^ old post, I know.

I have recorded at 16/44.1 - 24/48 - 24/44.1 - all with no clicks where the files were joined.

BTW - I currently use a Kingston 8gb SDHC class 6 card with my R09 - no problems at all.

Offline excowboy

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 06:59:34 AM »
Thanks Jamroom, on the other thread that I started, somebody replied with advice about using shntool to join the files.  This resulted in no clicks, so it must have been the way I was using Cool Edit to join the files.

Offline jamroom

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 05:46:54 PM »
Ahhh! Fair enough, I have only used Audacity and Audition 2.0 to join the files.

Offline aysvideo

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 10:47:28 PM »
Just bought the new Edirol R-09HR and now need to get a few cards for it.  Does anyone know if these are likely to work?  If so, you can't beat these prices.

http://www.supermediastore.com/pqi-sdhc-8gb-class-6-memory-card.html#description

http://www.supermediastore.com/apacer-8gb-class-6-sd-high-capacity-sdhc-memory-card.html

Also, is there some general rule of thumb to use in deciding what types of SD cards are suitable?  Thanks.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com