Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Shockmount/T-bar question  (Read 9835 times)

Offline olyrc

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I dig music.
    • My tapes on archive.org
Shockmount/T-bar question
« on: August 12, 2003, 01:58:39 PM »
With new mics that won't fit into my mini-mic T-bar, I'm looking at options that will allow freedom for different configurations.

I came across this one which is basically the same as my flexible mini-bar, but adds shockmounts:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=search&item=SP-GNA-5&type=store

I'm wondering if anyone else has used/is using this type of bar, and what positives or negatives you've experienced.

Any help or recommendations are appreciated!
Sonic Studios DSM-6S/L > PA-24 > TASCAM DR-07

DaryanLenz

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:Shockmount/T-bar question
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2003, 02:01:55 PM »
What kind of mics?

Daryan

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2003, 02:03:45 PM »
What are your new mics?

The shockmount shown in that pics looks like the AT8415.  A good shockmount, I've used them before.  Also popular are the AT8410A.  A pair of either is a great start and runs around $80-100/pr.

IMO, you're better off skipping the flex-bar at SP and picking up a Shure A57M vertical stereo bar (~$50), or an AKG KM235 bar ($25).
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline olyrc

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I dig music.
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2003, 03:55:48 PM »

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2003, 03:59:01 PM »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline olyrc

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I dig music.
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2003, 04:26:17 PM »
What kind of mics?

Daryan
Oktava MC012

They're pretty standard size SD mics.  Check out the archival section (ahem :P ) for shockmount and stereo bar options:

Stereo bars:

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=14;action=display;threadid=2458

Shockmounts:

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=14;action=display;threadid=2457
Yeah, my bad.  I guess I just didn't look enough before I started this thread, but I didn't find anything on the SP flexible bar anywhere.

Thanks though.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2003, 04:41:35 PM by olyrc »

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2003, 12:04:42 PM »
that sp flexible bar looks good for one configuration to me...split omnis.  
as for mounting the oktavas, basically any standard shockmount will work, i use the sabra-soms and while they are easily breakable pieces of crap, they work well in their purpose.  the at8410s are my next mounts for these mics i think.  
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2003, 12:38:18 PM »
I got some tensimount shocks for the time being. They were less than 30 bucks shipped for 2. A good cheep alternative for now.

I use them with a akg tbar & a rapido quick release from sonicsense to run configs.

everything above was under 60 bucks. Not bad IMO

Here are some pics of the tensimount.  

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=20;action=display;threadid=5077
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline olyrc

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I dig music.
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2003, 02:04:03 PM »
I got some tensimount shocks for the time being. They were less than 30 bucks shipped for 2. A good cheep alternative for now.

I use them with a akg tbar & a rapido quick release from sonicsense to run configs.

everything above was under 60 bucks. Not bad IMO

Here are some pics of the tensimount.  

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=20;action=display;threadid=5077
Do you ever have problems with those mounts slipping out of the mic clips?  I know they're cheap, but are they pretty functional?  $30 for two sounds too good to pass up right now.

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2003, 02:39:56 PM »
Do you ever have problems with those mounts slipping out of the mic clips?  I know they're cheap, but are they pretty functional?  $30 for two sounds too good to pass up right now.

No not at all. they fit tight in the 480 clips & also have 2 bands that slip around the clip to hold it. They are very functional.

I like them.
TDS!

Offline olyrc

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I dig music.
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2003, 05:13:17 PM »

No not at all. they fit tight in the 480 clips & also have 2 bands that slip around the clip to hold it. They are very functional.

I like them.

Cool.  Just ordered the same setup.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2003, 05:16:22 PM by olyrc »

Offline smanky

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Bruce Campbell is cool
    • The Ari Hest Show Archive
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2003, 01:39:48 PM »
hmm... those look pretty good for the cash... did you get them with clips or did you just buy your own clips?  And would you advise an extra pack of bands?  I too would like the at8410's but they're a bit pricey for me right now, so I'm currently running shockless (not something I really like to do).  How fast do they ship? Got a show in a week.

Offline olyrc

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I dig music.
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2003, 01:53:51 PM »
hmm... those look pretty good for the cash... did you get them with clips or did you just buy your own clips?  And would you advise an extra pack of bands?  I too would like the at8410's but they're a bit pricey for me right now, so I'm currently running shockless (not something I really like to do).  How fast do they ship? Got a show in a week.
I got a message saying mine were shipped the very next day.  I ordered the clips just because they were cheap and extra gear is never a bad thing, right?

If you're looking for at8410a's, dmonterisi's got a pair for sale in the yard sale:
http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=7;action=display;threadid=5629

Offline smanky

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Bruce Campbell is cool
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2003, 03:16:48 PM »
ok, cool, thanks for the info.  Right now I can't spend $75 on gear, especially w/ school about to start up again, and having been sick for the past week, I missed 3 days of work that was scheduled (part time no sick pay) and missed the opportunity to pick up 3 additional shifts, and the scheduling meeting for the next two weeks, which means I'll get the left overs :-\  But it would be nice to have something for next weekend, and I might be able to swing $35.

Offline olyrc

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I dig music.
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2003, 09:04:45 PM »
ok, cool, thanks for the info.  Right now I can't spend $75 on gear, especially w/ school about to start up again, and having been sick for the past week, I missed 3 days of work that was scheduled (part time no sick pay) and missed the opportunity to pick up 3 additional shifts, and the scheduling meeting for the next two weeks, which means I'll get the left overs :-\  But it would be nice to have something for next weekend, and I might be able to swing $35.

Yeah, I couldn't pass up the $35 mounts myself.

Offline olyrc

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I dig music.
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2003, 12:43:30 PM »

I like them.
+t for the info.  My mounts showed up this weekend and look like they're going to work great (as soon as my t-bar shows up anyway).

Offline smanky

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Bruce Campbell is cool
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2003, 09:01:11 PM »

I like them.
+t for the info.  My mounts showed up this weekend and look like they're going to work great (as soon as my t-bar shows up anyway).

Hey, how long did they take to show up, I ordered mine on the 18th and they're STILL not here.... I'm kinda pissed.

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2003, 09:14:49 AM »
I remember getting mine super quick. Like 3 days after I ordered.....Sorry that sucks.
TDS!

Offline smanky

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Bruce Campbell is cool
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2003, 02:31:11 PM »
yeh I emailed and I haven't gotten a response and I called and I haven't gotten a response yet either  :(

Offline olyrc

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I dig music.
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2003, 02:24:37 PM »

I like them.

Hey, how long did they take to show up, I ordered mine on the 18th and they're STILL not here.... I'm kinda pissed.
The came pretty quick.  I think it was 4 or 5 days.  I paid with paypal.  I also got responses to e-mails pretty quickly.  I think it is kind of a one-man operation, so he may be on vacation or something - at least that would be my guess.

Offline smanky

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Bruce Campbell is cool
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2003, 02:55:41 PM »
ok, you're right, he finally emailed me back yesterday saying he was away and he'd send it out asap.  Hopefully I'll have it this week then.  :)

Offline olyrc

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I dig music.
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2003, 12:35:46 PM »
Just FYI:

I did have problems getting the tensimount mic clips onto the AKG bar - one side was basically flapping in the wind because I couldn't get it down tight enough.  Went to the local music shop and got some $4.99 Peavey clips and they did the trick (and seem a little more sturdy).

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.12 seconds with 50 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com