Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 9 volt DVD battery power for V3 (edit. Naztech PB15000 is the solution!)  (Read 11875 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Has anyone used these? What do you recommend for a 6 volt V3. I don't want to toast it by using something that's higher voltage...

I haven't run that specific battery, but when I had my V3 I ran it with a 9v Li-ion battery.  Works great, won't fry (as long as you have a good cable with proper polarity).  The extra volts just produce a bit more heat.

Note the low battery indicator on the V3 won't function properly unless you calibrate it.  I never bothered to calibrate mine, since I used the battery meters on the battery itself.  Grace has battery calibration directions on their site, if you're so inclined.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
On ebay you can find MP3300 for $20

I have a 6 volt V3 that I previously powered with those heavy lead acid batteries... which have finally died. I saw the Tekkeon batteries on Grace Design's site which are discontinues... but just saw these batteries from Powerstream that look to be the exact same battery.

http://www.powerstream.com/PST-MP3500.htm

Has anyone used these? What do you recommend for a 6 volt V3. I don't want to toast it by using something that's higher voltage...

Thanks!!!
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline strangetapes

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: 9 volt DVD battery power for V3 (edit. Naztech PB15000 is the solution!)
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2015, 02:19:37 AM »
I've been using the 9volt DVD batteries for years, but they're getting old.  Do you guys think my cable for those will work with the Naztech?  just not sure if dc outs are a universal size.  Thanks for any insight.

Bill
Neumann SKM 184's; Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4
V3
SD722; R44

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2015, 06:37:56 AM »
Your answer is here:  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=150794.0   

spoiler alert:

No, not even close.     :)

Offline strangetapes

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2015, 04:15:01 PM »
Thanks drewloo, should have known that would have become a topic.  Looks like its time for another cable.
Neumann SKM 184's; Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4
V3
SD722; R44

Offline MBHOTAPER

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Jam Bands Rock!
Re: 9 volt DVD battery power for V3
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2016, 04:12:48 PM »
Never used 'em but I trust NiMH chemistry more than I do Li-Ion.

I may have to pick one or two of these up for testing with my V3... Thanks for the link. Report back if you get, and test one before I have a chance to.

Found out from Ted that those have a fixed cable that is hard to modify so that put the kibosh on that. He recommended I check out Naztech:

http://www.amazon.com/Naztech-PB15000-Universal-Charger-Extended/dp/B007URKIGC

Looks perfect!

I just ordered one. Hoping it has the same power out that that the Lenmars have. Otherwise I'll have to put Ted to work again.
How do i connect the USB 5 volt output to my PMD 661? What cable would I need? Where would you recommend to get that cable from? Thanks

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2016, 06:20:46 PM »
I was hoping this thread would answer this, but it didn't.

Are any of the new batteries considerably lighter or smaller than the dvd batteries we've been using to power the v3?
once again, lost in all the noise

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2016, 06:55:18 AM »
I was hoping this thread would answer this, but it didn't.

Are any of the new batteries considerably lighter or smaller than the dvd batteries we've been using to power the v3?

Yes and no.  From my experience refurbishing batteries, the weight and size of the battery is taken up mostly from the cells.  I think I read that Li-poly chemistry has a better power quotient (or whatever it's called) than Li-ion, but I also think I read that it's not by much.  That means that, in general, battery technology hasn't changed much in terms of new chemistries resulting in smaller batteries that have more stored energy than the 18650 type Li-ion cells you have in your DVD battery. 

So yes and no.  Yes, you can buy smaller and lighter batteries than the DVD battery.  But no, you shouldn't expect proportionally longer run-times.  The smaller the battery physically, in general, the smaller the capacity will be.  Not a rule, but a generality.  Look at the specs of the battery you're considering and compare the specs for physical size and capacity with that of the DVD battery for the definitive answer.  You'll want to figure that into your purchase of a new battery. You can also consider sending your old DVD battery to me to refurb with new cells.  It's usually a cheaper option than buying new and the cells I've been using increases the capacity of the original DVD battery.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.233 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com