Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: powerbook stopped recording  (Read 5035 times)

Offline ice8888

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
powerbook stopped recording
« on: May 23, 2003, 10:03:22 AM »
so i was taping robert randolph the other night going 24/48 into my powerbook.  rig is akg ck63 > active cables > jk labs dvc > (line in) mini-me (usb out) > 12" powerbook running the latest version of os x and spark me 2.7.  anyway, i went to check how much battery life was left on the powerbook, and when i clicked on the battery spark me stopped recording.  said it dropped a sample, and then there was an unknown file error and quit recording.  i was able to just hit record again to get the thing restarted, but there is about a 20 second dropout.  any idea why this would happen?  i thought the mac was supposed to be more stable than my pc.  ;D

on a good note... i had my dat running backup, so i do have a complete tape of the show.  will probably try to splice in the parts that were missing and get a dvd out.  too bad headliners old sound guy is on tour with my morning jacket...  no more board feeds for me. :(

thanks for any help!
ice

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Homepage
Re:powerbook stopped recording
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2003, 04:06:08 PM »
what OS? I know that in OS 9 Peak and other apps will stop recordiing if they are not in the foreground. In Mac OS X, this isn't usually the case.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline geoff piper

• Taperssection Member
  • I regret selling my rig :(
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2003, 09:22:25 PM »
how do you like the mac for recording? I was looking at comp usa today at them and was thinking about going for one. a 12 inch ibook. Also What kind of battery do you run with it?

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2003, 12:20:09 PM »
>>any idea why this would happen?  i thought the mac was supposed to be more stable than my pc.  <<

this has nothing to do with stability.  the machine didn't crash....

most likely it has to do with spark handling things poorly.  it probably doesn't work well when in the background and taking a 24/48 stream over USB

Offline yellowhat

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2003, 02:32:43 AM »
yes Spark needs to be in the foreground inorder to record or playback.

Offline ice8888

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2003, 09:16:39 AM »
update!!!

taped randolph again friday night with no problems.  just left everything alone.  seems stupid that spark couldn't handle something like checking what's left on the internal battery, but oh well.  at least i now know what not to do when recording with it.  thanks for the help!

ice

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2003, 08:15:47 PM »
>>seems stupid that spark couldn't handle something like checking what's left on the internal battery, but oh well.  at least i now know what not to do when recording with it.  thanks for the help!<<

i don't complain when the application is free :)

Offline geoff piper

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2003, 08:26:11 PM »
update!!!

taped randolph again friday night with no problems.  just left everything alone.  seems stupid that spark couldn't handle something like checking what's left on the internal battery, but oh well.  at least i now know what not to do when recording with it.  thanks for the help!

ice
do you use the standard battery on it? If so how much time does it get?

Offline ice8888

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2003, 12:09:38 PM »
i've been getting right at 3 hours worth of battery life if not a little more.  that's with my output sound muted and the screen dimmed as far as it will go.

hope that helps.

ice

Offline geoff piper

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2003, 02:27:15 PM »
i've been getting right at 3 hours worth of battery life if not a little more.  that's with my output sound muted and the screen dimmed as far as it will go.

hope that helps.

ice
thanks, sounds like when i get my ibook for school sometime in the fall-winter I'm going to have to try it out

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.142 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com