Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: (mod)SBM1 Vs. PCM-M1 A/D Converter Comp (Spoilers/Answers now inside...)  (Read 16886 times)

Offline hzgone

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
when i first listened to this i had to go with song 1 source A.  I thought it was a tad brighther than B.  When i listened to the second set of songs i could not hear a big difference
http://db.etree.org/hzgone
http://dead.no-ip.info

AKG 391's>MiAGi-II Silver Cables>V3>VX Pocket V2>Fujitsu 2110

on hiatus, semi retired, injured reserve, got hitched, had 2 kids, broke as hell, & my life is over patcher stage of life...

Offline cgrooves

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Get On the Bus -Busman Audio
Thanks, Nick.
Confirms what I have read & been told.  I definitely could not justify using the SBM1 (especially if unmodified).
AUDIO:
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-(K1/K2/K3/K4) > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T Mod) 

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
glad my M1 is still kicking analog in...digi in is toast!
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
I just bought a modSBM and wondered where the big sound difference was compared to my M1.  I'll run it next month at a festival and do some critical listening before deciding whether to keep it. I'm also wondering whether the M-audio Flash Tracker's A/D will be decent, or if a coax-modded modSBM would be an ideal pairing with the M-audio recorder.
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline sullen

• Taperssection Member
That is wild.

Havent listened in headphones, but the first one you can tell ever so slightly, and i would have never known in the second....

Makes me wonder if i can get away with running mic in now?

Thanx for posting this, very interesting!!!!!
don't > care > to > list > gear > in > signature

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
  • Get On the Bus -Busman Audio
"Makes me wonder if i can get away with running mic in now?"

Why would you wan't to do that?  I've always read & been told that you need to run line-in and run the 20 db ATT setting in order to get the most out of the m1's A/D converter.  I'm able to run my m1 dial at 8, and sometimes 10 using this method with my rig. If I ran the same rig via mic-in, I may be able to get rid of my transformers and run the dial at a lower setting, but the A/D converter is supposedly much better in the m1 if you can run the dial wide open (i.e. 10).
AUDIO:
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-(K1/K2/K3/K4) > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T Mod) 

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
Makes me wonder if i can get away with running mic in now?

Thanx for posting this, very interesting!!!!!

the mic pre on those units will brick wall with normal concert SPLs

Offline sullen

• Taperssection Member
heh.

nevermind!  :-X

i dont know what i was thinking.
For a minute i thought this was a comparison of mic-in vs sbm1>m1

not with it today!
don't > care > to > list > gear > in > signature

Offline Professor chaos

• Taperssection Regular
  • "Bringer of distuction and disorder."
i was not able to tell the difference between two. maybe it was because of the schoeps low end. i wonder if there is noticable difference with brighter mics like akg?
Microtech Gefell SMS 2000 M20/m21->Oade M148/248->Korg MR-1000/Sony PCM M-10

Offline ShawnF

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
I'm also wondering whether the M-audio Flash Tracker's A/D will be decent, or if a coax-modded modSBM would be an ideal pairing with the M-audio recorder.

Only if you're recording @ 16-bit, though, right?  On a related note, and at the risk of thread-hijacking, is there a stealthable A/D for 24?

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
i could definitely tell the difference between the two and i agree with skalinder's comments.
but i also think the difference in sound, although subtle, is worth schlepping the extra gear.

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)

thanks again for posting the comp...

i could definitely tell the difference between the two and i agree with skalinder's comments.
but i also think the difference in sound, although subtle, is worth schlepping the extra gear.

agreed.

and i think that with some mics the differnce is more pronounced...

i have a tape i did where the batts of the sbm1 died, and i had to run to the d8, and you can totally tell a difference...

you need an a/d, and @ 16 bit, i dont think anything beats the modSBM1...
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!

thanks again for posting the comp...

agreed.

and i think that with some mics the differnce is more pronounced...

i have a tape i did where the batts of the sbm1 died, and i had to run to the d8, and you can totally tell a difference...

you need an a/d, and @ 16 bit, i dont think anything beats the modSBM1...

even though the difference between the d8 and the m1 is remarkable, the modsbm-1 is worth the money and the effort, IMO.

Offline Professor chaos

• Taperssection Regular
  • "Bringer of distuction and disorder."
i thought that the difference between a mod sbm-1 and a pcm-m1 would be more pronounced. in my opinion it is not worth the $$$ for the mod sbm-1 if you've got a pcm-m1.
Microtech Gefell SMS 2000 M20/m21->Oade M148/248->Korg MR-1000/Sony PCM M-10

Offline KingReptile

• Taperssection Member
  • Injection is Nice I'd Rather Be Blown----
    • http://www.angelfire.com/music5/d8maniac/KingReptile_home
i thought that the difference between a mod sbm-1 and a pcm-m1 would be more pronounced. in my opinion it is not worth the $$$ for the mod sbm-1 if you've got a pcm-m1.

It all tends on the mics ran it with Audix it helped a ton ..Am not so sure on the Dpa 4061's ,I do know you can run your gear much hotter with SBM-1 without brickwalling..The more ya get in the better it sounds with the 61's no doubt..Or was it the more ya get in the better it feels  ::)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com