Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

CEntrance R4R Compact Recorder/Interface

(1/5) > >>

adam111:
Curious if anyone has tried this out:
https://centrance.com/store/MixerFace-R4R-Mobile-Recording-Interface-with-micro-SD-Card-Stereo-Recorder-p121815331

$449 with microSD recorder
$499 with microSD recorder and XY mics
$349 interface alone (no microSD recorder)

Curtis Judd reviewed it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5R470PH2VA

Pros:
Decent pre-amps (comparable to Zoom F series it seems -- except on max gain, see below)
Compact (slightly smaller/lighter than Zoom H4N)
~6 hrs with 2 XLR phantom on built-in Lithium batter (or longer with USB C battery pack)
Simultaneous recording to microSD and phone/laptop

Cons:
no LCD display (no indicator of remaining recording time, for instance)
max Preamp Gain of +53dB
2 LED monitoring
microSD
no mic in with plugin power

I've been looking for a good quality, compact 2 channel mixer recorder with decent battery life for concert/field/VO with dpa 4060s, MKH 8040s, other mics. My MixPre-3 arrived yesterday, but I was disappointed by the unreliability of the USB-C connector. Came across this and now weighing the options for highest quality, most-portable 2 channel XLR recorder.

Any one have experiences with this unit?

jerryfreak:
seems cool though im not sure why you would need to double up to microsd and phone (in the field), have never seen a microsd slot fail to write

do you need a realtime mix-down or just 4 channels?

aaronji:
There are a lot of folks here using the USB-C on the MixPres successfully, so maybe one of them has some advice.

There are also a bunch of alternatives. I have been using the 8 AA sled for my MixPre-6. With two channels of phantom (2.8 mA draw per), two channels of board feed, and the mix, I have recorded for a bit over four hours with only one click on the battery indicator going down. That’s with Eneloop Pros. A friend uses the L-mount sled and loves it. Great pres and loads of gain...

adam111:
Thanks Jerry.

I agree, backup/redundant recording is not essential in most cases. The ios/android connection could be useful in other ways (i.e. to see the waveforms, write metadata, see how much space is left, etc) since the device itself doesn't have a screen.

I don't need realtime mix-down or 4 channels.

I'm looking for something in between my Sony M10 and my Zoom F8: something very small/portable with great battery life like the M10, but can accept 2 XLR inputs with good quality preamps. My Zoom F8 is just a bit larger than I'd like for some field recording projects I have coming up.

So I've been looking at handhelds (Zoom H4/5/6, Tascam) trying to find something like my M10 but with XLR inputs vs Sound Devices Mixpre-3/6, something like my F8 but smaller.  It seems this device might slot in somewhere between them, but I'm curious to learn more about it....

adam111:

--- Quote from: aaronji on April 19, 2019, 07:06:26 PM ---There are a lot of folks here using the USB-C on the MixPres successfully, so maybe one of them has some advice.

There are also a bunch of alternatives. I have been using the 8 AA sled for my MixPre-6. With two channels of phantom (2.8 mA draw per), two channels of board feed, and the mix, I have recorded for a bit over four hours with only one click on the battery indicator going down. That’s with Eneloop Pros. A friend uses the L-mount sled and loves it. Great pres and loads of gain...

--- End quote ---

That's helpful. My experience with the included USB C to double A cable was disconcerting (the device flickered on/off, or the connector itself separated after minimal jostling). But it could be a bad cable.  4 hrs on the 8 AA sled would plenty for most of the situation I have in mind. Hmm.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version