Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Battery box for Nbox ***finished product***01-19-12  (Read 8726 times)

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (59)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Battery box for Nbox ***finished product***01-19-12
« on: December 14, 2011, 01:25:52 AM »
BB is 6 x 4.75 x 1.25.   will test soon, nbox is in the shop.  cables that go from the BB to the nbox r being made now and post pics soon.  should run 15-20 hours without switching  batteries from left to right.  ed

here r the battery cables.  the cheap set i picked up for this project was supposed to have right angle rca's on both ends, but as u see they didnt.  will prob make a new one down the road.  ed

note** the cables r also used to charge each battery using your 9v charging station, if u have one already***
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 05:37:11 PM by ero3030 »
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
Re: nbox battery pack
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 01:45:04 AM »
Why even bother with this when (4) rechargeable 9 Volts give you 7+ hours??

You have too much time on your hands ed  ;D
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline ero3030

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 01:54:56 AM »

^^^ for the small festy's i do, or even a band with a opening act.  7 hours is pushing i think with the 9.6v powerex rechargeables, from the little testing i've done with them any way.  this BB will velcro to the bottom my nbox and will fit like any other pre in my bag.  also, no worries or thinking about my battery's when having fun, which i need more of :P  and yes ed, i do have too much time on my hands!!!  hope to see ya round soon!!    ed

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 09:33:05 AM »
Looks great man....   excited for the testing process.......   keep us posted! 
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 11:41:30 AM »
Great job!  What kind of battery cells are you using?  I can't decide if they look more like string cheese or C4 explosives!
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 11:55:56 AM »

I don't like the negative experiences people have posted regarding the 9.6v rechargables. Scooter says it best from that thread...

I had my first rechargeable failure last night.  Full set of fully charged rechargeable 9v's.  The "change every show" set were down to 7v after a lousy hour.  The last set was lost.  I do stealth, so switching out batteries every hour does not work for me.  At $150 for the ticket, I'm termporarily trashing the rechargeables and going back to store bought.  I really can not afford a lost show to save $5 and the environment.

I don't check voltage on the rascals before I install them on the NBox, and perhaps should have but the charger gave me a green light. 

The landfills will have to live with a few more 9vs from Scooter.....

This is just one bad experience from that thread, which you started, of several. The potential failure rate is just way to high for me to be comfortable using the rechargeable 9.6v batts on anything but my backup rig. YMMV.

I also do not like having to swap batteries mid-show. Not that it can't be managed, but it's one more thing to have to think about and either forget or have go wrong. Less stress is better when taping and a solution like Ed's box is far more reliable and worth the increased footprint.

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 12:46:36 PM »
Nice......but some constructive criticism......not sure I am a fan of the rca battery connectors.  While one would expect that the taper using this piece of gear to not accidently plug the wrong RCA to the battery pack...I have met several of you........and thats all I am going to say. :P  Change the connector type at the battery and you have a real winner.  Otherwise its awesome.  I could see this battery being used for several other things as well.  you may be onto a new business here....the TS-Battery Company....      OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline pjp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 01:08:08 PM »
Looks very interesting. :)

I was also burned by rechargeables back in late 2004/early 2005, so I went back to regular alkalines and haven't given the rechargeables another chance. Looking forward to hearing how your tests go!
Schoeps MK4 > Tinybox v2 / Nbox > Edirol R-44 / R-09hr

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 01:55:20 PM »
Nice......but some constructive criticism......not sure I am a fan of the rca battery connectors.  While one would expect that the taper using this piece of gear to not accidently plug the wrong RCA to the battery pack...I have met several of you........and thats all I am going to say. :P  Change the connector type at the battery and you have a real winner.  Otherwise its awesome.  I could see this battery being used for several other things as well.  you may be onto a new business here....the TS-Battery Company....      OOK

I agree. You may want to consider mini xlr connectors.
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline ero3030

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 02:52:16 PM »

^^^^^wanted something with right angle inputs, and this was the easiest.  i made this for myself, so i dont think i'll plugging anything into the " extra " rca's in my bag.  the nbox will be connected to the BB while in the bag, and i have to come out of the rca's on the nbox, so things should be good in the bag.  ed

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 03:04:02 PM »
Sexy :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 03:13:32 PM »

I'd go for hirose plugs or something else really exotic. I've got a lot of gear that uses mini-xlrs...
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 04:25:43 PM »

^^^ for the small festy's i do, or even a band with a opening act.  7 hours is pushing i think with the 9.6v powerex rechargeables, from the little testing i've done with them any way.  this BB will velcro to the bottom my nbox and will fit like any other pre in my bag.  also, no worries or thinking about my battery's when having fun, which i need more of :P  and yes ed, i do have too much time on my hands!!!  hope to see ya round soon!!    ed

Well all i use my Nbox for is stealth recording and i have done 160+ shows without a rechargeable battery failure.
Only ONE of those shows ran more than 3.5 hours and i was able  to swap my set of batteries during the set break
in the bathroom. For festies i run mk-4/41 > kc5 > cmc6 > lunatec v-3 > benchmark ad2k+ > edirol r-44   with this
rig i have battery power for 15+ hours.

If you are using this setup for open taping, then this is a great way to power the Nbox for longer run times without any worries.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 04:28:56 PM by edtyre »
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline ero3030

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 05:35:57 PM »
^^^  forgot to mention that all i really do is open taping.  for me, the option to run the " little " 9v batteries is just extra for me.  most peeps have a nbox just for that reason, small and easy conceal.  i'm the oposite :P   got it for the quality, and for the once in a while city trips where i need to carry light.    ed

Offline ero3030

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 07:34:03 AM »
update 1/12/12.  my BB looks like a winner.  ran my nbox for 11hrs stright without running out of juice.  just flipped flopped the battery leads from one side to the other ( nbox owner's know what i mean ) and will run it that way for 4-6 hrs, no longer.  looking to cycle the new batts before getting a final total run time, but around 20 hrs on a first run is all i need to see.  good luck and happy taping to all nbox users.  make yourself a BB and run the piss out of those nboxs!!!                  ed

++++now that it works, i will prob notch out the nbox alittle for the new power cables to come out and for the nbox to close up tight.  it will make all look nice and clean then!!  ++++
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 07:37:12 AM by ero3030 »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com