Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Pres still in production  (Read 33296 times)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Pres still in production
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2012, 03:51:35 PM »
Nope, still sucks.

you don't like that middle one? He looks so happy though.  :lol:  :D
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline RichT

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2012, 07:25:07 PM »
As you've got field mixers on the list there're also the Sonosax SX-M32/SX42, SQN 5S/2S

Other small DC powered pre's:
RME Quadmic
Audioroot uPre

I think it's more the case that manufacturers expect you to be using a computer, so a lot of stuff is getting attached to audio interfaces, for studio work it needs to fit in a rack and take a kettle lead or in the case of production/field recording towards the Zaxcom Nomad / SD 788T  'everything in one box' route. 

DAV BG1 is popular for classical work but that need AC power and it's quite big

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2012, 09:02:26 PM »
I think it's more the case that manufacturers expect you to be using a computer, so a lot of stuff is getting attached to audio interfaces, for studio work it needs to fit in a rack and take a kettle lead or in the case of production/field recording towards the Zaxcom Nomad / SD 788T  'everything in one box' route. 

DAV BG1 is popular for classical work but that need AC power and it's quite big

I like stand-alone pre-amps because they tend to be more timeless. The digital stuff usually become obsolete, some a lot more quickly than others.

I own a BG1.  It's a great preamp, and at a very reasonable price.  I have powered it in the field with an Exeltech pure sine wave inverter.  Mine is for sale - I just don't use it enough.

This list of current production preamps is disturbingly short.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2012, 11:58:55 PM »
This list of current production preamps is not updated.

fyp...

(update the front page please)

I have powered it in the field with an Exeltech pure sine wave inverter.

I'm guessing the BG1 has a robust AC power structure? I've always heard that you can use inverters for stuff, but you should use stuff that has a very tolerant AC>DC stage cause the inverters are less than perfect AC.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2012, 08:08:29 AM »
I listed pres that tapers commonly use!!  I think most of those are discontinued and the list that is still in production seems accurate.  I realize there are other pres/mixers that people use in the field that could be added to the list, but if they didn't seem popular I left them off. 

This list of current production preamps is not updated.

fyp...

(update the front page please)

I have powered it in the field with an Exeltech pure sine wave inverter.

I'm guessing the BG1 has a robust AC power structure? I've always heard that you can use inverters for stuff, but you should use stuff that has a very tolerant AC>DC stage cause the inverters are less than perfect AC.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2012, 09:22:21 AM »

I hate to stray here, but it is important.  Especially if it saves gear or time from bad inverters.

My post said Exeltech inverter.  The cheap inverters are useful for a lot of things, just not running preamps.  I have quite a bit of experience with them from running in remote areas where there is no a/c.  Even the claimed sine wave inverters from China are often junk (as evidenced by performance and teardowns).  Some inverters that look good, with cooling fans, proved to be junk.  I've had great luck with some small ones I bought at Costco.  I use those for charging laptops, camera batteries, etc.   If you can't find the actual manufacturer of the inverter (aka, just a label slapped on a box from China), don't expect much.

I initially hoped I could run the BG1 on a tiny cheap inverter but it did not work well.  The BG1 uses about 20 watts of A/C.

Here you can see the FFT image of the BG1 noise floor on a cheap inverter vs. wall power.  In these samples I am stepping through the amount of gain, with inputs open.  With the CI, the noise floor is much higher across the frequency spectrum.  It also imparts a particular pattern to the FFT of the noise floor.  It did bad things to the sound.  It sounded sorta "ok" if you had no other comparison, but far from the clean, euphonic sound of the BG1.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=71722.msg960770#msg960770

The Exeltech's are US made, and are availabe to run on 12, 24, and 48 volts.  It's a real brand, and they have been around for years.  Mine was $200.  Larger versions are frequently used for alternative energy systems.  The nice thing about this Exeltech is it also gives you the ability to run tube preamps in the field, like the Hamptone, etc.

"Modified sine wave" is *not* a sine wave ;)

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2012, 10:22:39 PM »

I hate to stray here, but it is important.  Especially if it saves gear or time from bad inverters.

My post said Exeltech inverter.  The cheap inverters are useful for a lot of things, just not running preamps.  I have quite a bit of experience with them from running in remote areas where there is no a/c.  Even the claimed sine wave inverters from China are often junk (as evidenced by performance and teardowns).  Some inverters that look good, with cooling fans, proved to be junk.  I've had great luck with some small ones I bought at Costco.  I use those for charging laptops, camera batteries, etc.   If you can't find the actual manufacturer of the inverter (aka, just a label slapped on a box from China), don't expect much.

I initially hoped I could run the BG1 on a tiny cheap inverter but it did not work well.  The BG1 uses about 20 watts of A/C.

Here you can see the FFT image of the BG1 noise floor on a cheap inverter vs. wall power.  In these samples I am stepping through the amount of gain, with inputs open.  With the CI, the noise floor is much higher across the frequency spectrum.  It also imparts a particular pattern to the FFT of the noise floor.  It did bad things to the sound.  It sounded sorta "ok" if you had no other comparison, but far from the clean, euphonic sound of the BG1.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=71722.msg960770#msg960770

The Exeltech's are US made, and are availabe to run on 12, 24, and 48 volts.  It's a real brand, and they have been around for years.  Mine was $200.  Larger versions are frequently used for alternative energy systems.  The nice thing about this Exeltech is it also gives you the ability to run tube preamps in the field, like the Hamptone, etc.

"Modified sine wave" is *not* a sine wave ;)

neato. I didn't google the maker, thanks for the explanation.

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2012, 01:16:08 PM »
Found these recently.
My love of tubes and low prices has me curious:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=ART%20USB%20Dual%20Pre&N=0

I've never heard of them before, but that is very inexpensive.
Anyone ever tried them?
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2012, 10:24:42 PM »
Found these recently.
My love of tubes and low prices has me curious:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=ART%20USB%20Dual%20Pre&N=0

I've never heard of them before, but that is very inexpensive.
Anyone ever tried them?

I dont believe these are tube pres in the sense you are thinking.  I am pretty sure these tube pres are designed to distort as you turn the tube up......
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2012, 03:49:17 AM »
I  cant believe all of the pres that are discontinued :(
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2012, 03:48:46 PM »
what about a NADY DMP-2

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=747361&Q=&is=REG&A=details

The DMP-2 from Nady is a dual channel microphone preamp which works with any professional microphone and offers all the features of two preamps in a small convenient package. It is perfect for all live sound and digital and analog recording applications.

The unit delivers switchable phantom power, a switchable (global) limiter and dual peak LED indicators. Finally, the rugged preamp is powered by a 9V battery for the ultimate in portability.

Dual channel microphone preamp in a compact, portable enclosure
Excellent stereo imaging, ultra low noise, superb transient response and transparent, distortion-free sound
+48V phantom power
Selectable integrated limiter
Dual Peak LED indicators
Rugged, lightweight all-metal enclosure designed for long life and portability