Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How to power a device that runs off of 120v in the field?  (Read 8540 times)

Offline iriewsp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I have to pay for you to get it sounding good?
How to power a device that runs off of 120v in the field?
« on: September 12, 2006, 04:20:57 PM »
Ok so the mic pre I would like to use in the field runs off of 120v AC.  I use a standard IEC cable to plug from the wall to the mic pre.  So can anyone tell me how or if I can run this in the field.  I was thinking of useing a 12v to 120v power inverter, but I still cant figure out how to power that. 
Taping Rig
AKG 451e ck1 (mid) AT 4050 (side)>V3>MT 24/96

Multi Track Rig
2 x Focosrite Octopre Platinum with adat expansion>003r>mac g4 power book
with assorted microphones

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: How to power a device that runs off of 120v in the field?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 04:49:09 PM »
I made a 12v SLA > Power Invertor (DC>AC) adapter for a friend so he could power his laptop, etc. via SLA while boating...  He cahrges the SLA with solar panels...  Not sure how it works, he took it to St. Lucia and never let me know...

Another friend (Joel the P.Groove Taper) uses a car-battery jumper thingy.  Its a car battery charger, emergency flasher, etc. for your car when you ahve an emergency.  It has a couple of AC outlets that he runs his rig with (AC UA5 wallwart and AC JB3 wallwart).

I also found this:  http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/31/learn.asp

It is a battery that provides AC power...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline iriewsp

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 04:53:23 PM »
Wow I have one of those road side battery charges/flasher/air pump in my trunk.  Never even thought about useing it.  Thanks for the ideas.   

Anyone else have any other options/ideas?

Thanks
Mike
Taping Rig

Multi Track Rig

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 05:01:21 PM »
Mike:

What pre do you plan to use?

Offline iriewsp

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 07:31:46 PM »
Im wanting to youse the Hamptone HJFP2.  Its a two channel solid state pre.  Provides phantom and it also doubles as a 2 channel DI.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 07:33:42 PM by iriewsp »
Taping Rig

Multi Track Rig

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 08:25:59 PM »
interesting --, the assembly instructions at http://www.hamptone.com/HJFP2-tech%20revD-3.htm indicate that the power supply is converting 120vac to both 48 volts DC and 25.5 volts dc.  If your plan is to run these in the field, you'd likely end up with a far cleaner setup if you replaced the power supply with discrete battery power for each of the 2 dc voltage needs. 

Or, since it looks like you're building this, you might want to see if the hamptone folks could suggest a way to use a dc-based power supply instead of the ac>dc supply normally used.

Offline iriewsp

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 08:38:38 PM »
Well the main purpose  will be at the studio.  I just figured it was the most portable mic pre I have that I could use in the field.  So if I go the DC route, I will either A) have to use battery power in the studio or B) come out 120vac>converter of some sort>mic pre.

However though, its not built yet, so that could be an option I didnt think about.  Thanks.
Taping Rig

Multi Track Rig

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 08:42:11 PM »
interesting --, the assembly instructions at http://www.hamptone.com/HJFP2-tech%20revD-3.htm indicate that the power supply is converting 120vac to both 48 volts DC and 25.5 volts dc.  If your plan is to run these in the field, you'd likely end up with a far cleaner setup if you replaced the power supply with discrete battery power for each of the 2 dc voltage needs. 

Or, since it looks like you're building this, you might want to see if the hamptone folks could suggest a way to use a dc-based power supply instead of the ac>dc supply normally used.

great ideas...

think you get get the design of the tube preamp hamptone makes modified to run off of battery power..?

-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 09:18:37 PM »
The commonly available (cheap) inverters are "modified sine wave" designs.  The funny thing about a modified sine wave... It is not a sine wave..  That can cause problems with some devices.

I had hoped to use a cheap cigarette lighter style inverer with my DAV bg1..  When I compared the noise floor of the pre amp for wall power vs. inverter, I found the inverter imparted a very specific texture to the noise floor. It really stands out in a spectrogram. It also elevated the noise floor by at least 3dB.

The spectrogram images are of the noise floor as I decrease the gain down from 59dB.

Exeltech inverters are about $180-$200 and I did not find a lower cost alternative.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006, 08:21:21 PM »
I was horny for this once.  I really wanted to run an apogee TRAC2 in the field.

RebelRebel

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 07:38:35 AM »
battery>>exceltech pure sine wave inverter ..this is what VA___TAper built for his..PM him..Moke here has recently built one of those too..he can help..i use an exceltech>>battery rig for my DV_RA 1000..

great ideas...

think you get get the design of the tube preamp hamptone makes modified to run off of battery power..?

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 11:36:24 PM »
battery>>exceltech pure sine wave inverter ..this is what VA___TAper built for his..PM him..Moke here has recently built one of those too..he can help..i use an exceltech>>battery rig for my DV_RA 1000..

great ideas...

Thinking about this tonight brought me back to this thread...  I also found this:

http://www.donrowe.com/inverters/puresine_150.html

You could chop the cig-lighter plug and add your own adapter and run this off any 12v DC power/battery.

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 06:27:04 PM »

great ideas...

Thinking about this tonight brought me back to this thread...  I also found this:

http://www.donrowe.com/inverters/puresine_150.html

You could chop the cig-lighter plug and add your own adapter and run this off any 12v DC power/battery.

Terry
ANY 12v sla-not necessarily. The total power consumption of the pre is not stated. It could easily exceed the output capacity of the invertor.

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 07:16:04 PM »

ANY 12v sla-not necessarily.  The total power consumption of the pre is not stated. It could easily exceed the output capacity of the invertor.

I wasn't specifically talking about the Pre (I know nothing of it), but in more general terms.  Anyways I agree, you would have to make sure the Inv output is enough for your needs...

Terry

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2010, 07:24:15 PM »

48 and 25.5...  That could take quite a few batteries.  That could end up a lot like the battery operated car on Fernwood Tonight...  Classic 1970's tech...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDaPHVcUdS8

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.117 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com