Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #7 (mk1 'silver handles' version)  (Read 24387 times)

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #7 (mk1 'silver handles' version)
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2015, 06:31:05 PM »
New pre?

When running a stepped gain pre do people leave the 680 levels at 0, or does anyone here suggest doing minor  adjustments to even the levels in the 680?
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2015, 06:48:27 PM »
Adjust trim on input levels however necessary individually, then link the two channels so that any further gain tweak adjustment is made to both channels (or however many are ganged together, up to all six) seamlessly and in synchrony.  You'd probably want to make gross gain adjustments on the preamp, but this channel gaining feature is a somewhat unique and very useful faction of the 680.

Has anyone encountered any problems running a 680 at 9v? have run both my 680 and fp24 off the same battery at 12v with no problems, but I picked up a digital pre (UA-5) that utilizes 9v power. My battery can do 9v as well, so I'm intrigued.... Thanks in advance everyone!

many users report no issues running the 680 on 9v; I have done so myself.  but remember that the ua5 runs off reverse polarity when configuring your cables...

I run mine on now classic (nearly antique?) 9VDC LI-ion "DVD batteries".  Conveniently, the 680MK is compatible with the same external power plug used to charge the DVD batteries. 

Note that he 680MK2 does NOT use the same power plug size, it uses one slightly smaller (why, why , why?).
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2015, 07:09:44 PM »
Because it was no longer the cheapest part available?

Offline greenmtnsrider

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • My Shows
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2015, 09:35:39 PM »
Thanks for the input on 9v power. I have a cable on the way and I'm hoping to run it Sunday night for a solo acoustic gig. I have to think the battery drain will be somewhat less with 9v and UA-5 vs the 12v and fp24 I ran last month which only used about 12% of my 23000mah battery for a 3 hour show.
Mics: Schoeps CMC6/mk4| AKG C414b XLII/ST| AKG c460b/ck61| AKG se300B/Ck91, Ck92, Ck93| Church Audio CA-14 (C/O)| Tascam iM2
Preamps: Lunatec V2| Shure FP24| Naiant PIPsqueak
Decks: Sound Devices Mixpre10t| Tascam Portacapture X8| Tascam DR-70d| Tascam DR-2D
Cables: GAKables XLR

Offline chinariderstl

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • https://chris-finn.com/
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2016, 09:20:44 PM »
Hi, I have a question about the stereo digital input on the DR-680.  This will be my first foray into strictly digital recording, so please pardon my ignorance.

My HD cable receiver has a digital SPDIF out jack.  I was going to attempt to capture digital audio via this output.  The DR-680, however, only has a digital coaxial cable input.  I have an Edirol UA-5 that has digital SPDIF in and coaxial digital out.  I am pretty sure I can run SPDIF out into the UA-5, then, run coax out into the DR-680?  Any idea if this will work?

I just ordered an SPDIF cable and a digital coaxial cable from Amazon and am gonna give it a shot.  Any input in the interim is welcomed.

Many thanks, Chris.
Mics: Audio-Technica AT853's, Avantone CK-40 (Busman mod), Busman BSC1's, DPA 4022's, DPA 4060's
Pres: Apogee Mini-MP, Core Sound Battery Box
Decks: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2D, Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
Power: Initial RB-270, Naztech PB15000
LMA: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Chris+Finn%22

Offline obaaron

• Trade Count: (48)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Wide Awake in San Diego!
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2016, 09:46:55 PM »
all you should need is the coax cable....the ua5 had coax in and out as well as optical in/out. Does the cable box have a coax or optical output on the back?  I run ua5 > coax >680 all the time.

edit: read above post again...Im guessing by SPDIF you mean an optical output on the cable box...if thats the case the above will definetly work with that configuration
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 10:47:11 PM by obaaron »
Mics:  Gefell M20,M21- sms2000/nbob | Schoeps MK4V;MK4- cmc1L/cmc6/nbob | AKG ck1,3,8,22;ck61,62,63,69- c460b/c480b/Naiant/nbob actives | Neumann KM140/150 | AT853, AT933 | CA-11 | DPA 4022 (on loan)
Pres: Naiant Littlebox | Tinybox | BMod Edirol UA-5 | Church ST-9200
Recorders:  Zoom F8 | Tascam DR-680 | Tascam DR-60D | Sony PCM-M10
Video: Canon VIXIA HF R42

**ISO** -   Schoeps mk22 matched pair | Neumann Ak43 pair

Offline chinariderstl

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • https://chris-finn.com/
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2016, 11:50:17 PM »
Hey, Aaron, you're right.  I just double checked and the HD receiver has a digital coax out.  So I'll just try to run from that directly into the DR-680.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks, Chris.
Mics: Audio-Technica AT853's, Avantone CK-40 (Busman mod), Busman BSC1's, DPA 4022's, DPA 4060's
Pres: Apogee Mini-MP, Core Sound Battery Box
Decks: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2D, Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
Power: Initial RB-270, Naztech PB15000
LMA: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Chris+Finn%22

Offline admkrk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2016, 12:09:31 AM »
Question on using ribbon mics with this unit. Will the high gain be sufficient, or I need to use something like this: http://tritonaudio.com/index.php?Itemid=33
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2016, 08:10:41 AM »
Bump to join. Just bought one of these last month from Ted. Only used it once live, a few shows coming up.
Question about using it to take down Analog sources: I have had a devil of a time figuring out how to NOT record to channels 3/4 5/6, but did finally got it last night; however, I'm not sure I remember what I did!  :o
I am going Analog RCA out -> 1/4 inch adapters to channel 1/2.

I do have the pdf manual, however, it isn't obvious where to find this info. It does come down to deselecting the channels while in pause/record.
I'll add more to this post later, but if anyone has an step by step to do this I'd appreciate it.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline lukpac

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2016, 08:21:51 AM »
Question on using ribbon mics with this unit. Will the high gain be sufficient, or I need to use something like this: http://tritonaudio.com/index.php?Itemid=33

I can't speak to ribbon mics specifically, but I've recorded unamplified sources using dynamic mics without issue using the high gain setting. I wouldn't expect any issues with ribbon mics.

Bump to join. Just bought one of these last month from Ted. Only used it once live, a few shows coming up.
Question about using it to take down Analog sources: I have had a devil of a time figuring out how to NOT record to channels 3/4 5/6, but did finally got it last night; however, I'm not sure I remember what I did!  :o
I am going Analog RCA out -> 1/4 inch adapters to channel 1/2.

I do have the pdf manual, however, it isn't obvious where to find this info. It does come down to deselecting the channels while in pause/record.
I'll add more to this post later, but if anyone has an step by step to do this I'd appreciate it.

Put it in pause/record and select/deselect the channels you want to record using the channel buttons on the front of the unit. The display will have a dot for each channel that's recording.

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2016, 08:31:25 AM »
^^^^ Thanks lukpac- I *think* that is what I did! Question: is there a way to save a "pre set" like with a Marantz PMD 661?
music IS love

Offline lukpac

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2016, 08:32:55 AM »
^^^^ Thanks lukpac- I *think* that is what I did! Question: is there a way to save a "pre set" like with a Marantz PMD 661?

I'm not familiar with the Marantz, so I'm not sure what you're asking. But the same channels stay armed through power cycles. So if you're mainly going to be recording to just 1 & 2, once you set that, it will stay that way.

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2016, 08:45:14 AM »
^^^^^^^^
I just noticed that when i powered it back on this morning. THANKS  8)
reading about this thing on gearlsutz; it has way more capacity to do things than I'll ever use!
music IS love

Offline danny3

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2016, 09:20:19 AM »
Alternately, the way to arm tracks is to go to the REC menu, scroll down to TRACK: and select the tracks you wish to arm using the channel buttons on the front of the unit (they will be highlighted in black when armed.)
The method that lukpac mentions works only (fortunately) while in pause - which reminds me of a hazard that has given me 'pause' before - I have inadvertently un-armed tracks by mistake this way without realizing I hit a button.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2016, 10:19:59 AM »
As danny3 notes, if you pre-select channels using the REC menu, those channels will be automatically armed immediately each time upon entering rec/pause. That helps keep things manageable with mutichannel setups because you can make sure everything is set properly beforehand, and only have to turn the recorder on and start recording when under pressure, without having to do much switching.

And as lucpac notes, you can always change the selection of which are armed or not using the buttons beneath each channel meter on the display while in rec/pause, without having to navigate the menus.

Both selection methods work in combination with each other.  The menu method is the preset a default way.  The channel buttons are the set which are armed immediately before recording way.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.134 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com