Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What is a decent video bitrate for DVDs?  (Read 3261 times)

Offline andrewkw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
What is a decent video bitrate for DVDs?
« on: October 21, 2004, 02:07:41 AM »
I'm working on a DVD that will total around 100 mins.   Should I just use 2 discs?  I would really prefer this on one, but not if its going to lose significant amounts of quality.  Even changing the audio to ac3 instead of pcm the first part of the dvd which is roughly 60mins is still 3.7 gigs which will not leave enough space for the other part of the video which is just under 50mins.

The default setting for video bitrate on the program im using (dvd archietech) is set at 8mbps.  How much lower if any can I go before the quality drop is significant?  I've searched around for the "standard" dvd bitrate but everything just keeps saying its variable or to adjust it to allow your video to fit on the dvd.

I'm starting to think using 2 discs is the best option, and I'm starting to realize how bad of a format dvd can be when you can only fit an hour of top quality on it. 

If only I waited for double layer...

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
Re: What is a decent video bitrate for DVDs?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 04:11:29 PM »
personally if i was you i'd wait. in the mean time.  splitting it up onto 2 discs is also an option.

if you gotta put it onto 1 disc VBR it with these parameters

http://dvd-hq.info/Calculator.html?PHPSESSID=96837bdb90b927dc19884002388038e3

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 03:35:52 AM »
Andrew, go with 1 disc.  I just released Grateful Dead 12-31-85 DVD a month ago with a friend of mine on Easytree. It fit on 1 DVD and it was 131 minutes.  I think my average VBR was 2900.  The 8000 you are talking about is the ceiling for the VBR.  The average VBR is everything.  The Dead DVD came out very nice.  PM me for more questions.

Offline Chad817

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 05:18:48 PM »
all depends on how clean the original source was.  Better source means you can generally get away with higher levels of compression before it gets noticeable.
studio projects c4 > edirol ua-5 [digi mod] > Microtrack II

laying around: sp cmc-4, power supply and jb3

Offline jhirte

• Needs to get out more...
  • At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2004, 06:20:07 PM »
for that much time, and 1 disc as the preferred storage (vs 2) then forget WAV audio. AC3 it @ 448K. you could probably get away with 7Mbps VBR depending on content...

OR go DUAL LAYER DVD+R medium. can get it all on one disc, 8mbps CBR if you wanted.. and WAV audio. :)

-Jim

Offline andrewkw

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2004, 01:09:38 AM »
at least here in canada dual layer discs are HARD to come by.  The burers are pretty cheap way cheaper then what i paid for my plexor dvd +/- r about a year ago, but after searching around staples is selling 3 packs of dual layer dvds for 46.99!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com