Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mono SBD presentation etiquette question  (Read 7451 times)

Offline BlingFree

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Working the dumb end of a digital recorder.
    • Lossless Legs
Mono SBD presentation etiquette question
« on: July 29, 2015, 02:00:11 AM »
Getting ready to transfer, track n FLAC a bunch of mono SBD DATs.

Is it proper etiquette to track and FLAC a mono file OR convert to "stereo" by duplicating the same wave to left and right channels?

Thank you.
Audio
* AKG SE-300B / CK 91 > Zoom H6
* powered by i.Sound Portable Power Max - 16000 mAh
Video
*coming soon??**

LMA uploads
bt.etree uploads
YouTube Playlists

Offline Life In Rewind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
Re: Mono SBD presentation etiquette question
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 02:29:43 AM »
Getting ready to transfer, track n FLAC a bunch of mono SBD DATs.

Is it proper etiquette to track and FLAC a mono file OR convert to "stereo" by duplicating the same wave to left and right channels?

Thank you.

By "mono" you mean you have a stereo file with only 1 channel...?

Offline BlingFree

• Taperssection Member
    • Lossless Legs
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 02:33:43 AM »
it was a mono SBD feed and the deck was set to record mono and the wave file is one channel.
Audio
Video
*coming soon??**

LMA uploads
bt.etree uploads
YouTube Playlists

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 02:44:35 AM »
On playback, if it comes out of both speakers...ok, as-is...IMO

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 04:42:20 PM »

I don't see a problem with a mono file especially if that's how it was recorded.

If you want to get all fancy you could dupe it to a stereo file, hard pan it L & R and add a millisecond of delay to one of the channels or use an stereo expander plugin to get fake stereo....
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 04:49:18 PM »

I don't see a problem with a mono file especially if that's how it was recorded.

If you want to get all fancy you could dupe it to a stereo file, hard pan it L & R and add a millisecond of delay to one of the channels or use an stereo expander plugin to get fake stereo....

If the signal is the same I'd see no reason to pan it L/R... 

I don't recommend adding delay and would be careful about plug-ins. 

You could eq or otherwise process it a bit to give some different character to each of the resulting channels if there's something to be gained by that but IMO a mono source is fine. 

Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 06:10:25 PM »
The initial question is not whether or not to process it to produce "pseudo-stereo", but rather if it should be posted as a single-channel monophonic file-set or as a two-channel interleaved monophonic file-set.  Duplicating the single monophonic channel to form a two-channel interleaved stereo file does not make it stereo, but two-channel mono.  If doing something different to each side (eq, delay, reverb or whatever), that will make it a form of pseudo-stereo.

I'd say it depends on where and in what form you are posting it-
If posting FLACs, I'd say post it as a single-channel file-set. The original is a single channel WAV, and doubling the channel count with identical information needlessly increases the size of the file-set.

I might make it two-channel mono if posting lossy compresses files.  That may be easier to playback on some systems/devices without the sound only playing back from the left channel. Not all will do that of course, many will recognize a mono file and play it from both the left & right channels, but some will, or used to at least. I'm not sure how prevalent that behavior still is.

Disclaimer- I'm no posting authority in any way shape or form.. others around here are more astute in that area can make the socially appropriate call.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 06:15:16 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline BlingFree

• Taperssection Member
    • Lossless Legs
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 11:09:30 PM »
I appreciate the input, guys! First time I've had the honor of doing this and I just want to make sure I'm meeting the standard whatever that may be.  :D
Audio
Video
*coming soon??**

LMA uploads
bt.etree uploads
YouTube Playlists

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 01:29:05 PM »

If posting FLACs, I'd say post it as a single-channel file-set. The original is a single channel WAV, and doubling the channel count with identical information needlessly increases the size of the file-set.

Actually FLAC does not use space in that way. 

If the channels are identical, when compressing to flac, flac is smart enough to know it only needs the data from one channel.  So an identical two channel recording compresses to roughly half the size of a recording with two independent channels. 

You can try it by compressing the one channel mono wav and the same wav as two mono channels.  For all intents and purposes the flac compressed files will be the same size either way. 

If that's the consideration there is nothing to influence you one way or the other regarding flac formatting or circulating as such.   
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 02:26:47 PM »

Actually FLAC does not use space in that way. 

If the channels are identical, when compressing to flac, flac is smart enough to know it only needs the data from one channel.  So an identical two channel recording compresses to roughly half the size of a recording with two independent channels. 

You can try it by compressing the one channel mono wav and the same wav as two mono channels.  For all intents and purposes the flac compressed files will be the same size either way. 

If that's the consideration there is nothing to influence you one way or the other regarding flac formatting or circulating as such.

Understood.. which is why I worded my statement the way I did.  I was unsure of how efficient the FLAC codec is in coding two identical channels, and although a two channel FLAC will never be double the size of a same length single channel FLAC of the same content like a WAV file would be (unless the two channels were completely uncorrelated with each other), the FLAC size will increase by some amount.  I was unsure of how much, however, and your testing confirms that it is essentially negligible.  Probably only by a few bits indicating the information is identical between channels.  Thanks for clarifying that.

Similarly, it is always interesting to me to compare the achieved FLAC compression ratios between my multiple-channel file sets of the same recorded event.  I leave the FLAC compression level at the default (6), so correlation between the two channels is the primary determinant of the actually achieved compression ratio.  Wide spaced omnis with the least correlation between channels always compress by the least amount, and front/back facing pairs compress less than forward facing near-spaced pairs and SBDs.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline danlynch

• nyctaper
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 03:11:28 PM »

Abnormally small flac fileset sizes is a dead giveaway for an un-advertised mono recording, fwiw.

Founder and Host of NYCTaper:  http://www.nyctaper.com

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s
Recorders:  Sound Devices 744t, Edirol R-44 (Oade Concert Mod), Edirol R-05
Pre-Amps, D/A's:  Apogee Mini-Me

My Recordings on Archive.org: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/danlynch

Offline fobstl

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 09:31:18 PM »
Split to 2 mono tracks and list that in the notes. No one wants to listen to music come out of one speaker.

mfrench

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 10:12:15 PM »
Split to 2 mono tracks and list that in the notes. No one wants to listen to music come out of one speaker.

There are a whole bunch of us out there with totally dedicated mono systems.
Meet Audrey.

1932 Art-Deco phonograph case
1952 Presto Recording Corp 15G2 broadcast turntable
GE A1-500 broadcast tonearm from early 50's
Mid-50's Harman-Kardon Prelude PC200 integrated mono tube amplifier, with mono line-in
GE A1-401 coaxial corner speaker, early fifties hi-fi speakers (a pair, but only one hooked up)
Thousands of late forty and early fifties mono records (33.3rpm LP's) and thousands of 78's.

Some of us that love music of all eras are well equipped to handle a single mono file, properly.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 12:05:46 AM by m0k3 »

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2015, 08:58:42 AM »
& on the modern side, I think there is currently something of a defacto mono listening resurgence going on, simply from people so commonly playing music out of one tiny portable speaker.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2015, 03:08:14 PM »
it was a mono SBD feed and the deck was set to record mono and the wave file is one channel.
I would copy it over to the other channel if it was me.
I actually have a recording from a radio show where the talking is stereo, ie r/l but the music is mono
It is the most annoying thing and I wish I had made the music "stereo"
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com