Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DIY Guide: Cable replacement for RODE NT4  (Read 9262 times)

Offline jacobmyers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • The horror!
    • Prison City Archive
DIY Guide: Cable replacement for RODE NT4
« on: September 09, 2008, 01:52:48 AM »
 Those of you who own this microphone know that the stock cable is very cheaply made and too short to use on a "real" microphone stand. The solution is simple: build your own replacement cable! I built mine with about $25 in materials and a couple hours of time (it would've been much faster if I hadn't been taking pictures for this thread ;D). First and foremost: USE NEUTRIK CONNECTORS. I haven't found any XLR connectors that are as well-constructed and easy to solder. They're an industry standard for a reason.

Since you're going to cram two balanced cables into the NC5FX (five-pin XLR) connector, I suggest going with military-grade silver-plated copper wire with Teflon insulation and exterior wrap (Mil-Spec 27500). The Teflon insulation is thinner than foamed polypropylene (or pretty much anything except Kapton, which you do NOT want to use in the field because it's both fragile and hydrophilic). Get some like this:

I got ~25 feet of this cable for $14 shipped. It's more flexible than I'd imagined and seems fairly durable. Be sure to get cable with stranded main conductors (19/32 is what I got) and braided shielding (not flat). 24 AWG is both the smallest cable I'd recommend for microphone use and the largest I'd use in this application. Now that you have your cables, you'll need something to hold them together as a unit that isn't electrical tape wrapped around them every six inches.

That's where Techflex (Flex-o-pet) comes in. I used the 1/8" size on my cable and wouldn't suggest that you use anything larger. The two cables combined are pretty much the "middle" of the Techflex's expansion/contraction. Getting the cables through the Techflex takes time but the "inchworm" technique for getting them through -- both cables at once -- is easy enough to learn.

You have to open the Techflex in front of the cable and push the cable into the opening you've just made. The Teflon wrap will just slide through. It's actually harder to explain than it is to do. But, as I mentioned, it's tedious work. I'm glad that I only had to do ~13 feet. Note the red heat-shrink tubing which designates the right channel's cable.

You'll want to start with the NC3MX (three pin XLR) ends. Just trust me. Here's the left channel's NC3MX; soldered up and ready for final assembly. If you look closely, you can see that there are two layers of 2:1 heat-shrink on the cable here. The base layer is 3/32" and the top is 1/4". It was necessary to add girth to the cable because the NC3MX connector wouldn't "grab" the thin cable with just one layer.

The heat-shrink assortment I bought contains four-inch lengths, which is more than enough "spread" for my PMD660's inputs. Shown above are the NC3MX connectors being held "even" by the PMD660. With some tension on the cable, the first layer of heat-shrink has been applied to hold them in that position. The second layer (to the right of the photo) will hold the Techflex in place and reinforce the "Y" in the cable.

My RatShack butane-powered iron (on medium/high heat) makes a decent hot-air source for shrinking the tubing. After everything cools down a little, it's time to tighten the Techflex (working toward the NC5FX end). Just work it down over the cables until it's good and tight. It'll coil better if you keep the cables flat (side-by-side with no twisting) inside the techflex. So do that. You'll probably end up with some excess Techflex at the end. Hold it nice and tight and cut it with your (low heat) soldering iron or hot knife; about 1/2" from the end of the cable (which is as far back as you need to strip the cable). Also; at this point you should cut the cables to a perfectly even length (which makes it easier to solder the grounds together).

Here's the NC5FX end, laid out and ready for insulation removal and soldering. Put the cables through the back of the Neutrik connector one at a time. If you used heat-shrink to mark one channel or the other, put that cable through first. Once the cables are through, you can put the heatshrink on in the order it'll be used in. Make sure that you put the connector end on before the heat-shrink and work it over the Techflex. Note that the Techflex is still "loose" until after the connector is soldered on. Also bear in mind that both shields are not going to fit into the connector's solder terminal. You'll need to trim about half off of each, then twist them together. Once everything is soldered, you can get the Techflex and heat-shrink lined up appropriately and shrink it down.

It's all soldered together now, with the first piece of heat-shrink holding the Techflex down. The second piece of heat-shrink is intended to be "stress relief". That should help the cable to not "kink" at the microphone connector (which, I think we'd all agree, is important). It's definitely starting to look like a cable now...

The pin-out of the five-pin connector is as follows:

Pin 1: Ground
Pin 2: Left Pin 2
Pin 3: Left Pin 3
Pin 4: Right Pin 2
Pin 5: Right Pin 3

Here's my finished ~13-foot cable, coiled up with a Velcro cable tie (which are available pretty much anywhere and are money well spent). I didn't have time to do much with it tonight except check the resistance of the cable (according to my cheapo multimeter, the resistance is zero). I plan to make some semi-empirical recordings (same source, same position, different cable) with the two cables tomorrow. It's probable that there will be links to short FLAC files here if anyone's interested.

Good luck building your own cable for your RODE NT4!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 11:36:42 PM by jacobmyers »

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: DIY Guide: Cable replacement for RODE NT4
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 09:31:08 AM »

Just a tip try and use the right size techflex I see alot of people making cables with the wrong size it does make a huge difference in the cables protection * why you use techflex * in the first place. The problem with techflex is when you stretch it out its very easy for a nic to get on the techflex and then it will start to come apart.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 09:36:55 AM »
Nice job and nice rig!   I run NT6-> Oade Warm Mod PMD660

My Rode tip of the month:  The Studio Projects C4 capsules are compatable with the Rode NT4/NT5/NT6.   If you need a set of hyper capsules this is a nice sounding option!
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline jacobmyers

• Taperssection Regular
  • The horror!
    • Prison City Archive
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 12:33:02 AM »
Thanks, Moke. I do my best. And I made this "guide" to help people (like myself) who like to do things for themselves.

I'm not sure what you mean, Chris. Do you think that 1/4" was not a proper size for this application? For the record, I'm not using the Techflex for protection, exactly, but to bind the cables together so tightly that the cable cannot "kink". This may help to prevent splitting in the outer Teflon wrap (such breakage could be a problem and is a well-reported weak point of this cabling).

If I were making this cable over again, I'd probably use Kevlar sheathing (for durability's sake). Kevlar's heat resistance would be handy during the cable-making process; the polyethylene sheathing I used started to melt as I was heating the heat-shrink tubing on the NC5FX end. Luckily, I noticed it immediately and was able to remove heat before serious damage occurred. And Kevlar is certainly more resistant to abrasion than polyethylene and the "Kevlar yellow" color is attractive. It's more expensive (and should be cut with metal shears) but I think it would make a better cable.

Thanks for the compliments and the heads-up about capsule compatibility, Javier. My recorder is an Oade "Songcatcher". I'm impressed with the results that I've had from it; it's a huge step up from MiniDisc.

I didn't find time to do the "scientific" recordings today but I did have opportunity to do some casual testing of the cable. It sounds pretty good; there seems to be a certain midrange clarity that was missing in the stock cable. I'll try to get around to doing the pink noise recordings tomorrow and maybe some original music (with my playback system as the source). TS will be the first to know...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 06:25:31 AM by jacobmyers »

Offline ghellquist

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 04:21:18 PM »
Instead of two cables and an extra sock, I use a four wire shielded cable. This is the one I usually use:
http://www.gotham.ch/products_en/gac/11002.htm

I have several, from 10m to 30m, terminated in 5 pin connectors. When needed they can be connected to get a longer cable. Remember that a with a good condensor mic and a good preamp it is possible to run at least 100 meters of cable (300 feet).
Then a short pigtail with 5pin to 2 times 3pin into the recorder.

Gunnar

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 08:09:45 PM »
You could have used 1/8".
I also used 1/4" tech flex but it could've been squeezed into 1/8".

+t for DIY as it's a ton less $$$ than having others do it.
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 10:35:13 AM »
Awesome!
a step by step guide
which can also be used for making other cables!

right on!

I've been thinking about getting a new soldiering station to put some together myself

this is great to see the pics
thanx again
-- Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline jacobmyers

• Taperssection Regular
  • The horror!
    • Prison City Archive
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 11:32:17 PM »
You could have used 1/8".
I also used 1/4" tech flex but it could've been squeezed into 1/8".

+t for DIY as it's a ton less $$$ than having others do it.

Actually, I just checked my shipping list and what I used it 1/8". I'll change it in the "guide".

Offline jacobmyers

• Taperssection Regular
  • The horror!
    • Prison City Archive
Spectral analysis of stock and silver NT4 cables.
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 06:50:16 AM »
OK; I got busy for a minute there but here they are:

Playback rig with the microphone in front of it.

For comparison, this is how the pink noise looks in digital form (before playback).

The result from my silver-clad cable.

The result from the stock NT4 cable.

An alternate view; from top to bottom they're in the same order as above (source, silver, stock).

Make of it what you will...

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 07:55:04 AM »
wow, the frequency analysis is remarkable. 
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com