Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Nevaton MCE400...can you mod?  (Read 10277 times)

Offline ninjadave

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Timing and cash flow...
    • Ninja's ROIO's
Nevaton MCE400...can you mod?
« on: February 14, 2008, 10:25:13 AM »
can you mod these mics to change the end to a miniXLR and run into a church 9100 3wire or a 3 wire box and feed it 9v? i know the power requirement is 9v-52v......

would it underperform at 9v or does it need the full 48v to perform at its peak? i really like the sound of these....but hate to upgrade to a full size pre/phantom box......i stealth most of the time......

thanks.
ninjadave.
Mics = Milab VM-44 Links [c] ~ AT853 [c,o] 
Preamp/BB = Naiant IPA (v1) ~ CA-UGLY [+20db]
Recorders = Marantz PMD661 (Oade CM) ~ Sony PCM-A10
Playback = Sony MDR-7506 ~ Rokit 5's

http://ninjasroio.tripod.com/mainpage.html  [needs updated badly]

Offline muj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
Re: Nevaton MCE400...can you mod?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 10:30:10 AM »
nope....the mic has two amplifiers integrated in the system ( one behind the capsule and one in the xlr ) from what i understand

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 02:03:12 PM »
I wonder if you could get the factory to do something custom - maybe terminate it in some sort of battery box or something?
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 02:08:01 PM »
I wonder if you could get the factory to do something custom - maybe terminate it in some sort of battery box or something?

the old man said no.... ;D

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 02:17:04 PM »
nope....the mic has two amplifiers integrated in the system ( one behind the capsule and one in the xlr ) from what i understand

That's wrong.  The mic capsule is pretty standard, capsule +FET.  Not really "standard" as the mic capsule itself has a stainless steel diaphragm, .0030mm thickness according to the engineers at Nevaton!  That is why it sounds so wonderful, folks.  But it *functions* just like any other electret mic element.

The wire goes to a phantom adapter that just acts as a step down from 48V and as a line driver.  I just traced the circuit the other day, takes approx 4mA, puts approx 16V across the FET.  All with a simple *one transistor* design.

I'm not inclined to hack these right now, but I don't see why they couldn't run at 9V, with 4mA current.  That's a lot of current, though.  The mics will end up taking the same current as the preamp.  Probably need new load resistors in the preamp, and lots more batteries used in the field...

Richard
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 02:20:16 PM by illconditioned »
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 02:21:47 PM »

That's wrong.  The mic capsule is pretty standard, capsule +FET.  Not really "standard" as the mic capsule itself has a stainless steel diaphragm, .0030mm thickness according to the engineers at Nevaton!  That is why it sounds so wonderful, folks.  But it *functions* just like any other electret mic element.

The wire goes to a phantom adapter that just acts as a step down from 48V and as a line driver.  I just traced the circuit the other day, takes approx 4mA, puts approx 16V across the FET.  All with a simple *one transistor* design.

I'm not inclined to hack these right now, but I don't see why they couldn't run at 9V, with 4mA current.  That's a lot of current, though.  The mics will end up taking the same current as the preamp.  Probably need new load resistors in the preamp, and lots more batteries used in the field...

Richard

that's great news +T

just rememebr i got it from alexander and this from the web

"The MKA 400 is a miniature lavaliere microphone. Its transducer is a pressure sensor produced according to the so-called "back electret" technology. The diaphragm is made from 3µm thick metallic foil. The transformerless microphone amplifier is divided into two parts (or stages, to be more exact). The input stage, which represents an electronic micro-assembly, is located inside the body (8 mm in diameter and 15 mm long) immediately beside the transducer. The output stage is placed inside the XLR connector housing. The microphone set is furnished with three foam windscreens of different colors, a rigid protective case, clamps for single or double miking as well as fasteners for mounting the microphone on musical instruments. All the microphone models are protected by patents of the Russian Federation."
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 02:28:09 PM by muj »

Offline ninjadave

• Taperssection Regular
    • Ninja's ROIO's
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 03:21:34 PM »
thanks for the info richard....I don't know what it all means exactly but it sounds promising i guess......

so the XLR end is just a phantom adapter and if someone where to build a 9v or 16v BB that would take 3 wire or miniXLR from the mic, it would work running directly to an R9 (or other 1/8" plug) line or mic in? the answer to this i think is MAYBE or NOT EXACTLY......

the 4mA i don't understand....does that mean it would kill 9V's very fast or other batteries.....while also frying or damaging the R9 if there wasn't a resistor built into the BB before the signal feed into the R9 or other recorder?

i've been back and forth on all kinds of mics (actives, etc) and i think i've found what i'm looking for in these nevatons, but i don't want to get a new recorder or preamp......aerco mp-2 isn't that big i know....or go for the all in one Fostex but then i'm crouching a big nut there.....thanks for any followup...much appreciated....i don't expect you to hack yours incase it doesn't work out.....but it would be nice to know it can be done....thanks again.

ninjadave.

Offline ironbut

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 01:13:22 PM »
Excellent! From the samples I've listened to, these sound great! I guess the length of the XLR's +pre is what I'm concerned about (for stealthing). Without hacking the cables, couldn't a battery box be made where the XLR's connected inside of the box (it could open on one side to release the plugs/switch batteries) so the total length could be just a little longer than the connectors?

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 12:23:43 PM »
I'm really liking the sound of these mics. The xlr's are the deal breaker for me though.
Be nice if they could be modified to run with micro-dot connectors into the DPA MMA-6000. :hmmm:
Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline ironbut

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 09:42:38 PM »
Everything can be modded! If you want to depends on how often you sell and upgrade.
Don't drive stock!

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 02:22:50 PM »
Everything can be modded! If you want to depends on how often you sell and upgrade.
Don't drive stock!

In other words, if I use this cable  http://www.microphonemadness.com/products/mmdualxlrfem.htm
can I power the Nevaston with  a regular 9V bb?

Thanks in advance ;D
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline M

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 03:54:42 PM »
Don't drive stock!

In other words, if I use this cable  http://www.microphonemadness.com/products/mmdualxlrfem.htm

Thanks in advance ;D

no
Beyer CK930>Naiant TB>M10

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 04:19:10 PM »
Don't drive stock!

Thanks in advance ;D

no

:'( :'( :'(

Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline nottingham

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection Member
  • There's wisemen hiding in the mountains
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 10:16:10 AM »
Does anyone know where I can pick up a pair of these Nevaton MCE 400's ?

Thanks Ron
Schoeps MK4-MK41>cmc6/Nbob actives/Naiant LB/Naiant TB > Sony M10/PMD620

Offline ninjadave

• Taperssection Regular
    • Ninja's ROIO's
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 12:27:26 PM »
http://russian-mics.com/index.php/cPath/21_28?osCsid=4c1b5105764e4863170cc66961655053

i would exclude the VAT, not sure if you can..right now shipped to USA without the VAT, they are about $670 for a pair. i went the whole way thru in buying to see if they would let me buy without the VAT and they did...don't know if there is any customs issues, etc. i wish there was a 9v/16v diy mod for these to run into a three wire setup.......if they are 3 wire.........good luck. no US dealers i know of and i doubt anyone is getting rid of their set......

ninjadave.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.122 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com