Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: mp-2 & ad-20 vs. mod. ua-5...  (Read 5138 times)

Offline save

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
mp-2 & ad-20 vs. mod. ua-5...
« on: April 23, 2003, 09:47:48 AM »
i've been going back and forth on what i want to get.  i've already got a mp-2 so i was just thinking of just picking up a ad-20.  i've also heard some good tapes done w/ the mod ua-5, so i'm not sure what to get ???

Is the ad-20 any better of a a/d than what the d100 uses?  Anybody have any thoughts on the mp-2 & ad-20 combo?  i've seen lots of comments on the ua-5, but haven't heard very many opinions on the mp-2 & ad-20 combo.

any comments would be great!

-justin
save

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
Re:mp-2 & ad-20 vs. mod. ua-5...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2003, 10:13:53 AM »
You would have to use a MP-2 with a ADC-20, not a AD-20.  The ADC-20 is a Graham Patten unit and the AD-20 is a Denecke unit.  I ran M210 > MP-2 > ADC-20 for a few months and pulled some good tapes, but was not absolutely crazy about the combo, possibly due to mic factors.  I have some tapes with MBHO > MP-2 > ADC-20 and liked those a lot better.  The Gefells gave me really detailed tapes with a (too) crispy high end and a fat but controlled low end.  The MBHOs did not have as much detail in the high end, but did not have as much bass either.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline save

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2003, 10:35:27 AM »
sorry my bad i meant adc-20, not ad-20.  thanks for the comments!

-justin
save

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2003, 11:04:20 AM »
Is the ad-20 any better of a a/d than what the d100 uses?  Anybody have any thoughts on the mp-2 & ad-20 combo?

The ADC-20 is different than the D100 ADC.  Many folks would say better.  Depends on what sound you're after, really.

ADC-20 - very detailed, good instrument separation, crisp and (to my ears) digital-sounding.

D100 ADC - okay detail, not as much instrument separation, softer/smoother more analog sounding.

Great tapes have been made with both!  I know, this doesn't help your decision-making process, but...it's the truth.   :D
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com