Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09 vs Roland R-05  (Read 4395 times)

Offline Nelle B

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Edirol R-09 vs Roland R-05
« on: August 05, 2018, 03:34:00 PM »
For tapers who have used both the Edirol R-09 and Roland R-05, is there any discernible sound quality difference in the internal mics?

I currently have an Edirol R-09 and use it mainly for voice lessons, concerts, recitals, symphonies, etc. and I thought of investing in a Roland r-05 mostly for better battery life and GB space. I bought one on amazon... but unfortunately the seller mislabeled the product (wtf?) and what I got was the new r-07. I did not keep it because according to most reviews the r-07 is a disappointment. Luckily was able to return it with a full refund. Is buying an r-05 worth it for the internal mics? For louder shows, is one better than the other at handling heavy bass and hot signals?

Thanks for any input.

Offline DATBoy

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Edirol R-09 vs Roland R-05
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 12:06:23 PM »
I say if battery life is a concern, look into a used Sony PCM-M10. External mics are decent, but I honestly preferred the R09HR's mics more. I stopped using the R09HR because I found the build quality to be a bit problematic and at one point, the buttons were falling off and the screen got cracked. Not to mention that the battery door once got lost, which I had to replace (oops). The build quality probably improved with the R05, but I never used one.

I will say this about the Sony if that looks like a possibility - I think they are priced a little too high since they are discontinued. It wasn't in the 300 dollar range when I bought my replacement model in 2016, but that was before Sony sadly ended production on that.

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 01:50:26 PM »
I had an original Edirol R-09 (non-HR) and got many years of good use and recordings out of it until the Roland R-05 was released and I bought one of those.  To be honest, I don't use the internal mics that often, but I noticed that the overall sound quality of the R-05 recordings is better than the R-09.  There is considerably less self-noise as well.  Aside from the Sony's astounding battery life, the R-05 and PCM-M10 are roughly on par with each other, with the R-05 having marginally better internal mics (so I've been told) and a smaller overall size.  Which deck is "better" comes down to personal preference. 

Point of note that the Roland R-05, like the Sony, has also been discontinued and even used ones will fetch around $300 (they averaged around $200 new when in production). 

Edit to add: To answer your original question, "Is buying an r-05 worth it for the internal mics?", I'm of the opinion that you might be better served taking the ~$300 or so you would spend on a used R-05 or PCM-M10 and putting it toward a set of lavalier mini-microphones and a battery box from a retailer like Sound Professionals.  Better yet, buy a used set of mini-mics from the Yard Sale here in the community for even less money.  They will sound far better than the internal mics of any pocket recorder I can think of. 
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 01:59:44 PM by Fried Chicken Boy »

Offline Nelle B

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 05:18:17 PM »
I agree, I don't understand why a used Roland R-05 on amazon clocks in at around $300, when the newer version is cheaper.

Until I find a reasonable deal for a used R-05 on Ebay (hopefully soon), I'll probably just keep using my R-09 until it starts deteriorating.... which is hopefully not for a while....

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 12:40:15 AM »
The new R-07 is way better than both of them.
$229.00 brand new free shipping
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 01:29:16 PM »
I would definitely replace the R-09 if you are using it for its internal mics.

The R-09, IMO, has the worst sounding internals of any recorder I've used which include the R-09HR, Marantz PMD-620, Sony PCM-D50, Sony PCM-D100, Sony M10, and even the Zoom H4 (which I otherwise despised). Recordings with it did not seem nearly as "full" to me as recordings made with the internals of any of the other recordings listed above.

That is why Chris Church offered his Miksketeer mod an the R09 for a while in which he replaced the internal mics with his CA-11 mics.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com