Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Original Sample Rate ( DAT ) Question--Audacity  (Read 2634 times)

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
Original Sample Rate ( DAT ) Question--Audacity
« on: April 01, 2015, 09:52:49 PM »
I'm trying to figure out what the original sample rate of a recording was.  Say 48kHz, but not written down on the notes of a DAT.  In Audacity does it show the original sample rate, or the converted version--what it will be.  I'm using a Sony D10ProII deck and recording with Audacity on a Mac Mini--using and optical cable out of a Hosa ODL 312.  The Sony deck doesn't show the sample rate--at least I don't know how to get it to show the rate.

Right now what I see is Stereo, 44100Hz, 16-bit PCM under Audio Trac.

Lower left corner says

"Project Rate (Hz):

Thanks.

A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Original Sample Rate ( DAT ) Question--Audacity
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 10:16:57 PM »
Audacity probably is showing 44100 Hz as the project rate because that's what has been set as the default for new recordings (changed in Edit > Preferences > Quality).  When you open a file that was previously recorded though, the Project Rate should change to match that of the file if it is different.  Audacity can't detect the sample rate coming off your optical connection - it just records at the rate you tell it to.

I have no experience with DAT transfer so I'm not sure how to find the recorded rate, other than hooking your deck up to a hardware DAC that displays sample rate.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline gormenghast

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 11:23:54 PM »
Thank you.  That helps actually.  I have a Lucid DAC that I just tested a few DATs.  The Comotion one I was transferring was actually 48kHz.  Should I re-transfer and change the Project Rate?  Then just leave it and convert to FLAC at 48kHz?

I'll read through this next:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=117279.0

It's been a long time since I transferred DATs.  Hardware and software is different as well as the final product ( FLAC ).

A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 06:17:06 AM »
Thank you.  That helps actually.  I have a Lucid DAC that I just tested a few DATs.  The Comotion one I was transferring was actually 48kHz.  Should I re-transfer and change the Project Rate?  Then just leave it and convert to FLAC at 48kHz?

I'll read through this next:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=117279.0

It's been a long time since I transferred DATs.  Hardware and software is different as well as the final product ( FLAC ).

Again, I claim no experience with DAT, but it sounds like you should re-transfer at 48kHz - change the default Project setting to 16-bit / 48kHz in Preferences > Quality.  Many here will recommend programs like CDWAV to do your track splits on the resulting WAV file, and then you need to use a third program like foobar2000 to render your FLACs.

You could actually do your track splits and FLAC export all within Audacity, but without the ability to do splits at sector boundaries like you can in CDWAV.  If your final result is FLAC it shouldn't matter.  Actually I've never had an issue with WAV files either with years of rendering separate tracks in Audacity, and I never even heard of the sector boundary thing until last year.  YMMV.
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq_i18n?s=files&i=split
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Gene Poole

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 10:04:23 AM »
You could actually do your track splits and FLAC export all within Audacity, but without the ability to do splits at sector boundaries like you can in CDWAV.  If your final result is FLAC it shouldn't matter.  Actually I've never had an issue with WAV files either with years of rendering separate tracks in Audacity, and I never even heard of the sector boundary thing until last year.  YMMV.
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq_i18n?s=files&i=split

You can split on sector boundaries with audacity--even if the track isn't 16/44.1.  Pick "CD-DA Frames" in the dropdown at the bottom and click the "Snap To" option.  Audacity stores the labels as fractions of a second (out to like 8 decimal places--CD-DA is in 1/75 sec frames so 8 places is plenty).  You can convert your audio to 16/44.1 later and import the same label file and it will split on sector boundaries (for those three guys still using CDs).

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 03:33:32 PM »
Maybe I'm missing something but if you're directly transferring (essentially "cloning" the bits on the tape) the rate shouldn't depend on Audacity. 

If you're recording the output with Audacity my question would be why?  I'd think you want a straight transfer rather than a conversion done by Audacity and/or your Mac. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline gormenghast

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 04:42:42 PM »
I figured out the sample rate with the Lucid DAC.  The TCD D10 ProII is supposed to show the sample rate, but I have yet to figure out how.  I just wanted to make sure that I was transferring as was recorded and no conversion as I was transferring--if this was possible.  Seems I now have the DATs transferred and ready to track.  I'm on a MAC so it looks like I can't use CDWave--which I used ALOT! back whenever.  I'll give it a try in Audacity as was suggested by Gene Poole.

I don't have time to do this until next week.  Taking some time off and going to the coast.  I might bring it with me though.

Thanks again. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com