Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need Editing Software for a Mac  (Read 1802 times)

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
  • Needs to get out more...
Need Editing Software for a Mac
« on: April 20, 2015, 08:20:17 PM »
I need a reliable program to track out shows, dither and resample. I would also like to be able to combine two tracks, consecutively. I have used wave editor and have experienced issues with tiny blemishes at the insertion of a track mark and issues with files after they have gone through xact. What are other mac users ising?

Thanks in advance
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline GLouie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Need Editing Software for a Mac
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 01:37:14 AM »
I've used Sound Studio 4 for many years for simple general stereo sound file tasks. It's inexpensive and certainly has many limitations, but it works for me. It's very convenient to split a long file into separate tracks (segments) for mastering a CD. It's easy to do simple cutting and pasting, fades, trimming, normalizing and so on. The developer told me that whenever a 24 bit file is converted to 16 bit, TPDF dither is added with no options. Sample rate conversion is simple, but doesn't look as good as the best on the Infinitewave SRC comparison website, which is odd because I assumed they just use the Apple Core Audio algorithm SRC. Concatenating stereo files is a  matter of simple cutting and pasting. I've had no problem joining 2 hour-long files 24/96 but just cut and past -BUT- I discovered I had to leave all soundfile windows open during the process. I couldn't open the 2 files, copy the second half recording, close that window, and paste onto the first half - without crashing.

What it is poor at is using processing plug-ins; multitrack mixing, and tight editing. I use Reaper for that, also inexpensive and works well, much better than Audacity for me. BIAS Peak died and I never got to like it much. Adobe Audition CS5 was pretty good, but had several buggy slow operations that may have improved in CS or CC6. I've never been on the ProTools path.

Offline keytohwy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Need Editing Software for a Mac
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 02:46:38 PM »
I'm a Amadeus user.  I like the ability to open and edit FLACs and save cue sheets/track markers.  If you co-edit with someone else, this is huge.  You can also move track markers to CD sector boundaries, etc.  Stable, easy. I'm a fan.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com