Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Waveform anomaly  (Read 2616 times)

Offline ButchAlmberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Waveform anomaly
« on: July 07, 2015, 09:34:09 AM »
I am delving into my first attempt at post processing. The recording is an Umphreys show recently at Jones Beach, an outdoor venue on the beach in NY. I am concerned with the waveform as it is displayed in Sound Forge Pro (mac). As I have never done this before, let alone with SFP, I am learning as I go. Is this waveform anomaly a concern? If so, is there a remedy?
Line Audio CM-3, CM-4, Lewitt
Sound Devices MixPre-6 II |  Tascam DR-70D

Team Line Audio

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Waveform anomaly
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 10:46:02 AM »
each of the waveforms represents a channel.  I'm not seeing any "anomaly" -- simply seeing that the top channel was a bit hotter (higher levels) than the bottom channel -- You could try boosting the levels on the bottom channel to match the top

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 01:17:23 PM »
Butch, I agree with dnsacks. that looks alike a "normal" .wav file, just the top (typically Left ch) is hotter than the bottom (typically Right ch).
This type of file occurs to me when:
1] the placement of the mics is too far left or right and this is what they picked up
2] One of the mics gets turned outward on the mount or if head worn, you faced your head toward the stage while sitting off center.
3] the levels were set that way (accidentally)
4] the mic with lower levels may be damaged or not calibrated similar to the other mic (very low probability considering the screenshot; just trying to be thorough for you!)

Some DAW programs will allow you to raise the level of RT or Left independently; I don't use SF so can't comment on that.
Good luck- keep at it brother!  8)
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline ButchAlmberg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 01:52:58 PM »
Could it also possible be artifact caused by the wind in one mic and not the other? The venue is on the ocean and there was a steady wind that evening. In preparing to record here for the first time, another taper in fact warned me to be prepared for this. That said, I only had foam windscreens.

Team Line Audio

colinw

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 02:13:54 PM »
It could be wind, but the mics were likely pretty close together, I wouldn't expect to see such a difference in the left and right channels. I use Audacity, and you can split the stereo file and listen to the files separately. You will hear the wind clearly in the top (left?) channel if that is the cause. I am sure Soundforge does the same.
Maybe just try normalizing the channels indepedently and see how it sounds. It should even out the left/right levels.

Of course, if wind did cause that much of a level hotness you're in for some painful listening!

good luck.

Offline ButchAlmberg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 02:36:18 PM »
I posted the .wav file on another thread and got positive feedback, which is why I decided to take the leap into post processing. Lots to learn in that regard, as I'm as new as one gets. I think my mics were set up properly, I was dead center, I checked and double checked my levels before hitting record, so I'm at a bit of a loss. I'm going to try to figure out how to split the L and R channels to listen to them separately, but ultimately I think I'll need to give some gain to the low channel to make it match the other (not sure how to do that just yet).

Thanks for the insight, as always.

Butch

Team Line Audio

Offline JimmieC

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 05:06:57 PM »
Like colinw said, I would look for "normalize" and hopefully the software has a check button for "normalize stereo channels independently" or else "split stereo track" and normalize the left and right individually.  I normally normalize to -0.1 dB.

If dead center, mic configuration not misalignment, and no gaining issue, I would guess the mics are not matching pair or one capsule is slightly broken.  I always forget if the bottom channel is right or left. 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 05:10:24 PM by JimmieC »
OH Grown
Mic:AKG C460B(CK61)/HM1000(CK32/CK47), Naiant Couplings/PFA, ADK-TL; Preamp:Lunatec V2, Naiant Littlebox v1.5; Rec:Tascam DA-P1/DR-100mkii/DR-680; Cable:GAKcables; Bar:Shure A27M, Robb Bar 23-cm, it-goes-to-eleven DINa Active Bar, GAK 3' Bar; Mount:Shure A53M, Audix MC-MICRO; Clamp:AKG K&M 237, Photek Grip Clamp w/Manfrotto 042; Stand: Manfrotto Alu Master 3 Riser 12' AC Stand/122B, Lowel Full Pole; Battery:18000mah Universal Lithium Battery; Playback:laptop>Schiit Modi>Yamaha HTR5890>Klipsch Synergy F2. My recordings on LMA

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • LMA
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 10:18:28 AM »
Maybe a high-pass filter on the right channel/mic?
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.256 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com