Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MiniDisc Transfers  (Read 2030 times)

backwhereubelong

• Trade Count: (0)
MiniDisc Transfers
« on: July 28, 2015, 09:26:03 AM »
I have some minidisc masters that I would like to do some minor work on and transfer to FLAC.  I was wondering if it would be acceptable to transfer these at 24B/96k wav ... and then resample to 16/44.1 after the mastering process.  I know that it would be "bloating" somewhat, but since I'm transferring via analog (1/8" to RCA) does that really make a difference?  I could see the bloating being an issue if I was transferring via optical.  Any advice?

Offline StarkRavingCalm

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: MiniDisc Transfers
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 10:24:51 AM »
I have a MD unit with optical out. I can transfer them digitally if you'd like.

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 11:25:58 AM »
I'd not transfer analog... 

24/96 is rather pointless given the original resolution and analog stage.  Depending on how you're doing it all the sample rate conversions may just introduce more places for unintended degradation, though an analog step may make the rest of them of no meaningful subsequent impact. 

I've got a component player as I'm sure a number of others do and there are many other options which still keep it in a direct digital state.  Depending on what the music is someone would do it or you could get something better to do it with. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

backwhereubelong

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 11:49:11 AM »
I'd not transfer analog... 

24/96 is rather pointless given the original resolution and analog stage.  Depending on how you're doing it all the sample rate conversions may just introduce more places for unintended degradation, though an analog step may make the rest of them of no meaningful subsequent impact. 

I've got a component player as I'm sure a number of others do and there are many other options which still keep it in a direct digital state.  Depending on what the music is someone would do it or you could get something better to do it with.

Thank you my friend.  That's what I thought ... just wanted to "test the waters" and see before jumping in.   ;)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com