Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How to connect DPA 4060s to Sound Professional battery module or preamp?  (Read 15260 times)

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: How to connect DPA 4060s to Sound Professional battery module or preamp?
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2017, 07:16:28 PM »
^ It depends a lot on the SPL. From your signature, I think you have 4061s, which are not all that sensitive (6 mV/Pa compared to 20 mV/Pa for 4060s). For quiet sources, I would probably use the mic input. For moderate to loud sources, the line input might be better. You can kind of guess-timate from the specs...

Offline CTjazzfanatic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2017, 08:37:55 PM »
^ It depends a lot on the SPL. From your signature, I think you have 4061s, which are not all that sensitive (6 mV/Pa compared to 20 mV/Pa for 4060s). For quiet sources, I would probably use the mic input. For moderate to loud sources, the line input might be better. You can kind of guess-timate from the specs...

Oh, I was actually asking with respect to DPA 4060s, which I just purchased along with a Y cable from darktrain to connect to the SP battery box. Recording jazz exclusively - usually in smaller venues - sometimes unamplified. Guess I will do a little trial and error and see what happens. Thanks for the input.
Mics: Schoeps CCM 4; DPA 4060; SP-CMC-25
Power: Naiant Tinybox; SP battery box
Recorder: Sony PCM-M10

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2017, 02:30:54 PM »
The 4060s will give you nearly 10.5 dB of gain compared to the 4061s, so you will probably be able to record line-in much of the time.  I also record a lot of jazz, generally in smaller venues and sometimes unamplified, and have had pretty good luck running 4060 > BB into either input.  You will generally know in advance if it will be towards one extreme of loudness or the other; for most of the stuff in the middle, you can use either input...

Offline CTjazzfanatic

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2017, 10:41:54 PM »
The 4060s will give you nearly 10.5 dB of gain compared to the 4061s, so you will probably be able to record line-in much of the time.  I also record a lot of jazz, generally in smaller venues and sometimes unamplified, and have had pretty good luck running 4060 > BB into either input.  You will generally know in advance if it will be towards one extreme of loudness or the other; for most of the stuff in the middle, you can use either input...

Thanks again. That is very helpful.
Mics: Schoeps CCM 4; DPA 4060; SP-CMC-25
Power: Naiant Tinybox; SP battery box
Recorder: Sony PCM-M10

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2017, 11:25:39 AM »
I use four 4060's, recording into both mic and line inputs of a DR2d simultaneously.   You just need to manage your preamp gain so as to stay within the known-good input range of each input on the recorder.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

obsidian

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2017, 10:10:47 PM »
^ That looks like it would work, so long as you get the battery box with the two mono inputs.

I am curious why you aren't interested in the Y-cable option mentioned by audBall a few posts back.  The cost of the cable, plus the work, will likely be a lot less than even one of those DAD6034s and you'll be able to use it with a wide range of battery boxes (or pres) and the M10.

+1 to the audBall solution.

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2018, 04:02:58 PM »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cable-TRS-1-8-3-5mm-L5-Microdot-female-Adapter-MIC-Audio-Wireless-Transmitter/302109608505?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I just bought a pair of these for $12/ea on eBay.   What do you think?  Should be any easy hack for a microdot/3.5mm Y cable. 

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2018, 04:13:33 PM »
^ Two of those should work for choppin'.

Note for anyone not chopping- as these are two-wire mics, I assume both the ring and sleeve of the mini-TRS plug on that cable are wired in common to shield/ground.

Lots of inexpensive ebay microdot cable options popping up recently.  The CDI option is still best for anyone needing custom lengths, terminated however you want as male or female dot on each end (individual cables only AFAIK, haven't inquired about prebuilt 'Y's from CDI).

Edit- As for actual ease or difficulty of soldering the center conductor in the coax cable, that can only be determined by trying it.  The center conductor on DPA cable on the mics themselves is notoriously difficult to solder well.  The CDI cables are easy to solder.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 04:17:39 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2018, 01:31:37 AM »
Not sure if Church Audio is still doing this, but I think he built custom battery boxes with dual female microdot inputs.  Last I heard you had to send him the connectors and he would build the battery box.

Less connections = less trouble.

But more shipping = more hassle.

Good luck.

Richard

Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline synthologist

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2018, 08:37:12 PM »
"His standard for low voltage mics is inverting, which corrects the typically inverted polarity output of most small electret microphones.  The DPA miniature microphones produce a non-inverted output signal, so if you go the PFA route, ask for them to be non-inverting.  The DAD6001 is non-inverting as it was designed to work with DPA mics.  The signal polarity issue is probably only an issue if you are mixing multi-channel sources.  You can always invert polarity of the track in your editor of course, but this avoids the need to do that, and allows for internal mixing in multichannel recorders which do not provide signal polarity switching."

I've never heard of electrets being polarity inverted? Where does that info come from?

Thanks

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2018, 12:32:23 PM »
From Jon at Naiant.

I've not actually checked the native output polarity of most other miniature electrets.  It will be best to check each microphone type as well as each amplifier used with it if this is a concern.  Some microphone specification sheets indicate output polarity.  Otherwise you'd need to check in an editor, zooming in to see if an initial peak goes in the positive or negative voltage direction, in addition to knowing if the rest of the signal chain is inverting or not.

Richard, you do a lot of electronics work with small electrets- what's your experience in regards to this?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 12:34:27 PM by Gutbucket »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.116 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com