Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ALDs and how to record them  (Read 6638 times)

Offline CubanSkies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
ALDs and how to record them
« on: September 13, 2018, 03:28:00 PM »
I'm going soon to a Slash concert and would like to tape it. I recently found out about ALDs. I plan to mix an ALD recording with an AUD recording a friend will do. I have no ethical problems about ALDs.
How can I record the audio feed from the receiver? It generally has an AUX output, right?

Thanks.

Offline ycoop

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: ALDs and how to record them
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 03:16:06 AM »
You may be asking in earnest, but it’s highly unlikely that anyone will give you an answer about any form of surreptitious recording. Especially given that this is your first post.
Mics: Avantone CK-1s, AT853 c+o
Pres: CA9100
Recorders: DR-60d mkII, DR-2d

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 04:34:07 AM »
Maybe go check a show that you don't care about beforehand, in order to check out the situation?
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 07:37:38 AM »
I have no ethical problems about ALDs.

You should.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 10:00:10 AM »

Make sure your friend records with internal mics on a budget recorder underneath a seat somewhere in the back of the venue so your shrill ALD recording that's equalized for the hearing impaired matrixes really well with the dullness of the AUD source.  :facepalm:

« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 10:04:43 AM by goodcooker »
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 10:01:45 AM »
great first post!  this should go well.......    ::)
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline morst

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 02:21:13 PM »

You should.
The only ethical problem I can think of is if a person without impairment takes the last ALD system and someone who could otherwise benefit from it is denied the use due to scarcity.

What other ethical conflicts might arise? I have never used an ALD.

Offline DATBoy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 07:09:44 AM »
sounds to me like you are probably DCiora or some cohort of his. One post and asking about ALDs as an icebreaker topic? Gee....

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 04:07:01 PM »
Cueing the Hoff in....
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 07:35:13 PM »

You should.
The only ethical problem I can think of is if a person without impairment takes the last ALD system and someone who could otherwise benefit from it is denied the use due to scarcity.

I've always wondered what the ethical concerns are as well. At least ALD vs. stealthing with mics. The only thing I can come up with is what you said (taking the last ALD). Also I guess recording when the artist doesn't want people too, but I don't see as big of a hub-bub about people stealthing with mics.

So if someone could fill me in it would be appreciated.

Also when someone comes in here and post something like this maybe we could take into consideration that they honestly thought it wasn't an issue. So many people join the pile on when shit like this happens here. Be nice and politely explain why you think of ALD recording is wrong to the OP.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline relefunt

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • kindfulness
    • Milwaukee Taper
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 07:48:00 PM »

You should.

I've always wondered what the ethical concerns are as well. At least ALD vs. stealthing with mics. The only thing I can come up with is what you said (taking the last ALD). Also I guess recording when the artist doesn't want people too, but I don't see as big of a hub-bub about people stealthing with mics.

Also when someone comes in here and post something like this maybe we could take into consideration that they honestly thought it wasn't an issue. So many people join the pile on when shit like this happens here. Be nice and politely explain why you think of ALD recording is wrong to the OP.

As I see it, the ethical issue is that a person who does this is asking for an ALD which they do not need and which they will be using in a manner inconsistent with the wishes of the people who own it. That is dishonest and might be considered a type of theft — using someone else’s property under false pretenses.

When we stealth tape (which I never do, of course), we are not asking for anything other than admission to the event. We are not signing a NDA promising not to record the music. So I find that fundamentally different from the situation with ALDs.

In terms of piling on newcomers who (with their first post) ask questions that on the surface seem suspicious — I am guilty and I would rather that we had a rule that the first time a person posts to the forum, the post needs to be approved by an Admin. That will stop a lot of me seeing that David Hasselhoff GIF.
AKG c414xls, Beyerdynamic MC930, Line Audio CM3 and OM1. Superluxe S502mk2
Sneaky: Church CA11+14, Audiotechnica AT853.
Preamps: Shure FP24, CA9200.
Recorder: Sound Devices MixPre6, Roland R05, Sony M10.
my local taping blog: milwaukeetaper.com

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 07:58:00 PM »

You should.

As I see it, the ethical issue is that a person who does this is asking for an ALD which they do not need and which they will be using in a manner inconsistent with the wishes of the people who own it. That is dishonest and might be considered a type of theft — using someone else’s property under false pretenses.

When we stealth tape (which I never do, of course), we are not asking for anything other than admission to the event. We are not signing a NDA promising not to record the music. So I find that fundamentally different from the situation with ALDs.

In terms of piling on newcomers who (with their first post) ask questions that on the surface seem suspicious — I am guilty and I would rather that we had a rule that the first time a person posts to the forum, the post needs to be approved by an Admin. That will stop a lot of me seeing that David Hasselhoff GIF.

In regards to the perceived ethics, if one brings their own ALD is that ok?  I don't run ALD but know others who do and use their own ALD.  We all have our own ethical lines and I understand the last ALD so someone in need is shut out but aside from that it is just a form of wireless transmission.

I do agree a first message like this one is suspect and should be considered with caution. The poster could spend a few hours searching and get 98% of what he needs.   

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 08:02:57 PM »
I was under an impression that some ALD recordings were done with gear owned by the person recording. I guess I don't really know much about the topic.

That said, an ALD recording is a little different than audience mics to me because the mics are picking up the sound being transmitted to you in the audience, where you paid to be to hear the performer. On the other hand, an ALD is a proprietary signal being sent so that people with a disability can better hear the performance. So that is a potential ethical issue in addition to utilizing the equipment meant for others.

IMO the effort going into making an ALD recording could probably always be better used to just make the best audience recording you could. It will probably sound better most of the time.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline morst

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 09:47:14 PM »
I was under an impression that some ALD recordings were done with gear owned by the person recording. I guess I don't really know much about the topic.

I am under the impression that most prospective ALD recordists would be planning to try to plug their own recorder into an ALD system borrowed/rented from the provider at the venue, intended for the hearing impaired. If it works, some might consider it worthwhile to invest in their own ALD system.

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2018, 10:35:34 AM »
I look at ALD as the same as plugging into the board without permission. But that's the line I'm drawing for myself. 
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com