Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Can the preamp cause distortion to recordings?  (Read 2825 times)

Offline Lucidnight

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Can the preamp cause distortion to recordings?
« on: April 03, 2016, 02:54:57 PM »
I just recorded the past two nights and noticed my recordings suffer every now and then a few slight clicks then 10 seconds or so of loud static/distortion over the recording.  I am trying to find the source so this is what I know so far and what I can rule out...

1. I recorded both nights with 2 different sets of microphones so I know it's not coming from the microphones.
2. I just replaced the battery prior to the show in my preamp (not sure how this would be a problem but explaining everything that happened).
3. The show was quiet so I turned the knob nearly all the way to capture the sound.
4. I had never had any problems like this with any of my prior recordings.
5. Not sure if cell phone interference could be a possibility as I'm unsure how that sounds but again I have not had this happen before.

So my thoughts are... did turning up the preamp fully cause a distortion?  Cell phone interference noticeable now that I turned everything up?  I am just wondering since the sound doesn't impact the entire show, only for a few loud seconds now and then.

By the way, I was using Edirol 09, CA 9100, and CA14 omni night 1 cards night 2

Any thoughts? 
Thanks! 

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My LMA collection
Re: Can the preamp cause distortion to recordings?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 03:24:46 PM »
I would start by ruling out a dirty input jack on the edirol.  Set up everything up the same way, then wiggle/twist on the input cable and see if it makes any noise o the recording.  I've had that happen to me and the fix is easy.  A few drops of rubbing alcohol on a denture brush and clean out the 3.5mm jack.  It could be cell phone noise, but I'd start with the jack and go from there.

Good luck,
Jesse
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 09:48:06 AM »
I'm with Jesse, sounds like the typical and all too common intermittent connection problem to me. 

Clean all the jacks and plugs thoroughly with alcohol, or even better with something like Caig Deoxit, which also contains lubricant/protectants as well as deoxidizers/anti-finger-oil/anti-grime-components.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 10:28:38 AM »
Is it possible to post a sample? If its not the line input jack, its probably cell phone noise! You can also try the MIC IN jack, with the 9100 gain all the way down, and record your TV/stereo! See if you can duplicate it!

But my guess would be cable issues or cell phone noise! Posting a sample could probably help us narrow it down even further!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

stevetoney

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 04:22:47 AM »
Also check your cables at each interconnect interface by wiggling the cable to try to replicate the noise.  Youre looking for the possibility of a loose solder connection inside a connector.

Offline Lucidnight

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 01:46:52 PM »
Very sorry for the late reply, had some work business to take care of this past week.

Thank you for all the help, I just did a little attempt to duplicate the sound and it seems it was MOST likely caused by a cell phone.  I didn't think about that I was sitting during these two shows with my phone very close to the recorder while almost every other show I have been standing with the phone a good distance away.

I just recorded with the tv on, wiggled the cables with not much effect.  I called my phone with the phone nearby the recorder and found some similar sounds.

I am still going to clean the input jacks just in case.

Thanks again

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com