Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

need some advice to adjust my equipment

(1/4) > >>

slowblow:
Hi All,
I need you !
my gear is SP-CMC-8 > SP-SPSB-6 > Olympus LS-P2
my problem is the Olympus has only a mic input, not line input.
this is the first time I will use this equipment.
Should I use the bass roll-off settings in my battery box ?
what advice can you give me to have a good recording?
thanks a lot !

beatkilla:
No bass roll off.

bombdiggity:
I would not use the bass roll off.  Tiny mics don't need that and you can do it yourself in editing with more precision if something like that is needed. 

You should be able to use the mic input.  I don't think that thing provides too high an output.  Set your levels manually and make sure you're not running too loud. 

Make sure the mics stay steadily oriented in the same consistent direction. 

Have fun. 

Gutbucket:
Try to make the recording from wherever it sound sounds best to you.
Point at the auditory center of sound, not the apparent visual center.
Set your levels so that you have a comfortable range below clipping.
Practice prior to an important recording.
All the little stuff: Clean your wire connections, make sure your batteries are charged, reformat your memory card when it becomes full rather than deleting files from it, etc..

--- Quote ---I would not use the bass roll off.  Tiny mics don't need that..
--- End quote ---
Not using the bass-rolloff on the battery box and/or recorder is good advice.  Set your levels low enough to accommodate the bass and modify the file appropriately afterwards if you find it would benefit from bass reduction. However, the size of a microphone has no relation to its bass sensitivity.

bombdiggity:

--- Quote from: Gutbucket on November 14, 2017, 02:51:35 PM ---

--- Quote ---I would not use the bass roll off.  Tiny mics don't need that..
--- End quote ---
Not using the bass-rolloff on the battery box and/or recorder is good advice.  Set your levels low enough to accommodate the bass and modify the file appropriately afterwards if you find it would benefit from bass reduction. However, the size of a microphone has no relation to its bass sensitivity.

--- End quote ---

True that's not the proximate cause but none of the little cardioid mics people use for stealth purposes are ever likely to have too full a low end.  Even similar profile omnis that seems unlikely. 

We do all agree whatever it is should be adjusted in post. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version