Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Newbie to stealthing  (Read 5977 times)

Offline TryAgainAndAgain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
Newbie to stealthing
« on: August 31, 2003, 02:17:34 PM »
First off, thanks for the plethora of info from this site. You guys know your stuff! Anyway, I am looking for a decent stealth rig for recording medium size venues and clubs. Tired of walking away from amazing shows without being able to relive the experience. I already own a pair of neumann km140's that I have used primarily for recording steel string guitar and other similiar applications and also just bought a used sony pcm-m1. Unfortunately my a/d converter and preamp are studio editions so I need something portable.I have read that some of you have the apogee mini-me or lunatec v3 but that seems awfully big for stealthing not to mention not internal battery powered. Anyone have any other recommendations on a/d-preamp that is smaller but falls in the same league as the apogee/lunatec?

jessedscott

Re:Newbie to stealthing
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2003, 03:23:19 PM »
Get a Zefiro inbox! Quallity A/D that comes with a belt clip. Atleast mine did.....

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2003, 05:26:55 PM »
With km140's you'll probably want something that compliments the sound better than an Inbox/AD-20.  I'm not sure of a good preamp at that size, but probably something running into a modSBM-1 would probably be recommended.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2003, 05:27:26 PM by John Kelly »
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2003, 05:52:01 PM »
Check out the Sound Devices MP2 or Sonosax SX-M2 for stealthy pres... I haven't heard the 140s with an PSP-2 or -3... what other nice-'n'-stealthy pres are there?

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2003, 08:55:16 PM »
I have not heard the 140s with the sax, but have heard some nice MP-2 based tapes

Tim

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2003, 04:37:15 PM »
140's sound great with the psp-2... 140->psp2->mod-sbm-1 would be a fantastic sounding rig!

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2003, 11:59:30 PM »
I personally like the ADC in the M1/D100.  And you've already had some preamp suggestions.  If stealthing is secondary to open taping and you don't do it a whole lot, a great high quality, low cost, small footprint option is:

AK40 > LC3 > KM100 > PS-2 > line transformers * > M1

* search the archives, there are some part number for line transformers from AT and Hosa.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2003, 02:48:46 PM »
There's also the BeyerDynamic MV100. Which you can get for dirt cheap now and you really don't have to worry about bumping the controls while recording. Basically, Idiot proof. I've heard a couple KM184>MV100 tapes and they sounded pretty good.

And don't forget about the Sonosax SX-M2. I've heard some killer 140>SX-M2 tapes.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2003, 02:50:14 PM by rickb »
Retired Taper

Offline ianstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2003, 06:20:41 PM »
the sax is real nice but i think it's slightly bigger than the mp2 . slightly thicker.
Also  1 thing to take note of - which can be a big deal when talking about running internal batteries.

I own a sound devices mp2 - LOVE IT. Great for stealth jobs and for when taping's allowed. For stealth, i run my mbho 603a/ka2oon>mp2>d8  

If using regular Double A batteries, and running at 15v, you can get 1.5-2hrs from regular alkaline batts. Lithium's will last much longer at 15v, probably 4-5hrs.  I'm not sure what run-time would be if you ran the mp2 at 48v.
The mbho's do fine with 15v of phantom ; i donno about the 140's.

The sonosax takes 2 9v batteries, and i'm really not sure how long they last.
But i do know this - it's a helluva lot easier to get double A batteries than it is to get 9v batts... and also a helluva lot cheaper....

ian
Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2003, 06:24:25 PM »
the sax is real nice but i think it's slightly bigger than the mp2 . slightly thicker.

True, but I think its much lighter since its made with a hard plastic shell. I know the the MV100 was lighter then the MP2. I had both.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2003, 06:25:05 PM by rickb »
Retired Taper

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2003, 07:12:22 PM »
from http://www.sounddevices.com/products/mp2master.htm:

Dimensions: 43 mm x 94 mm x 140 mm (h x w x d), (1.7" x 3.7" x 5.5")
Weight (unit only): 0.8 kg, 2.0 lbs.

from http://www.sonosax.ch/SXM2/sxm2.html:

Dimensions :  5,75" x 3,4" x 1,6" (146 x 85 x 40mm), 0,95lbs (435g) with batteries

So the sax is a tad longer and about 1 lb lighter.

Me and another taper ran km140>mp2>sbm1>m1 vs km140>sx-m2>d100 at a U2 show once and it was very hard to differentiate the sources. You can't go wrong with either unit from a sound perspective, especially in small club/venues.

I've just found more piece of mind as a sax user knowing that I can crotch it past wands as you never know when you go to a new venue if they wand or not. You also never know when a venue decides to pull out wands for a big show or one with a seedy crowd.

From my experience, the sax will power km140s for about 5 hours on a $4 pair of Duracell Ultras or Energizer Alkalines.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2003, 08:23:15 PM »
surprisingly, the mp2 has made it past wands without setting it off on at least one occasion...i thought it'd make everything go crazy, but apparently not

Offline MBHOTAPER

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Jam Bands Rock!
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2003, 03:50:52 PM »
I love my MP-2 and would highly recommend it if you can find one (SD stopped making these to start the SD 722 & 744). If you can wait until Jan. 2004 I would get the SD 722 (pre, phantom power, 24 bit AD & HD recorder). If not try to find an MP-2 or PSP-2 (also out of production). The SAX is pretty good but bigger than the MP-2 and the MP-2 is built like a tank! The Beyer MV100 does not have balance control (probably why they are dirt cheap), & there are some old Aerco's out there similiar to the Beyer but do have balance control. There are not a lot of stealth pre's out there so listen before you buy!

Peace,
Murf :headphones: :headphones:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2003, 03:54:36 PM by MBHOTAPER »

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2003, 03:53:32 PM »
I love my MP-2 and would highly recommend it if you can find one

There've been a lot of MP-2s floating around lately...keep your eyes open.  Also, the Sound Devices MixPre is basically the same unit with a slightly different feature set.  The MixPre is also re-branded as the Shure FP-24.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2003, 04:25:06 PM »
I love my MP-2 and would highly recommend it if you can find one (SD stopped making these to start the SD 722 & 744). If you can wait until Jan. 2004 I would get the SD 722 (pre, phantom power, 24 bit AD & HD recorder).

If you think the MP2 is built like a tank, I would imagine the SD722 is going to be built like a tank and half. I bet that thing is going to be heavy! With all the added components, Hard Drive and Battery Pack that thing might weigh a ton. I'm sure it will be sealthable, but maybe not the ideal stealth pre-amp if you need to crotch it

Rick
« Last Edit: September 15, 2003, 04:26:54 PM by Rick Bendes »
Retired Taper

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.125 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com