Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SD card not formatted error  (Read 4609 times)

Offline nxb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
SD card not formatted error
« on: May 09, 2007, 04:20:10 AM »
I taped a show with a R9 last night, the SD card was formatted before the show, I recorded for a shade over 2 hours and checked several times through the show that ewverything was Ok, it was. At the end of the show I stopped the R9 recording, powered down then removed the SD card and placed it in the protective wallet. When I got home I put the SD card back in the R9 to extract the WAV file but it said the card was unformatted. I removed the SD card and tried in a PC card reader but again it said the card was not formatted and would I like to format it. The card is a regular Transcend 4GB SD card.

I've tried smart recovery utilities but they don't recognise any file on the SD card.

How can I extract the WAV file from the card or is the card damaged?
Any suggestions apart from buying a new card?

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: SD card not formatted error
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 09:20:17 PM »
I taped a show with a R9 last night, the SD card was formatted before the show, I recorded for a shade over 2 hours and checked several times through the show that ewverything was Ok, it was. At the end of the show I stopped the R9 recording, powered down then removed the SD card and placed it in the protective wallet. When I got home I put the SD card back in the R9 to extract the WAV file but it said the card was unformatted. I removed the SD card and tried in a PC card reader but again it said the card was not formatted and would I like to format it. The card is a regular Transcend 4GB SD card.

I've tried smart recovery utilities but they don't recognise any file on the SD card.

How can I extract the WAV file from the card or is the card damaged?
Any suggestions apart from buying a new card?

Just to know, are you using latest 1.20 firmware?  And did you format the card while inside the deck as you should?

If so, likely a bunk card that failed, or something not right about the R-09 deck?  Ever use this deck with a different card?
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline nxb

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 04:00:45 AM »
Just to know, are you using latest 1.20 firmware?  And did you format the card while inside the deck as you should?

If so, likely a bunk card that failed, or something not right about the R-09 deck?  Ever use this deck with a different card?

I'm using firmware 1.20 and the card was formatted in the R9 before the show

I successfully taped a show with the same deck on the previous night so looks like a bad card.

Ho hum, better buy a new one...

Offline libfab

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 05:56:37 AM »
I was recently stunned to find that the R-09 "formatting" procedure is actually NOT formatting. Normally a formatting device for flash cards "flushes" the card, so that there's no data left in the end. What the R-09 firmware does to SD cards has nothing to do with that. It just alters the SD's registry/log file that describes what's in. The data are left unchanged.
If you still don't believe me do the following experiment : format an SD full of data with your R-09 then try to recover the files with a good recovery utility, like Easy recovery or any other good soft. You'll get your show back.
This is a life-saving procedure, and I guess a last-resort option for nxb's problem:
1) get a really good recovery soft ;
2) try recovering "as is" with the soft ;
3) if that fails, re-format the card from within the R-09 (not usually advised!) That will correct a possibly corrupted registry/log file, and finally
4) try recovering anew.

Offline maestrosteve

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 03:39:26 AM »
The card is a regular Transcend 4GB SD card.

That card is unreliable in the R-09.  I had the exact same experience using it in my R-09 with the latest firmware. 
No files could be taken off, or read with a card reader.
The card does work perfectly in other devices, so it is not the card.  Once I formatted the card with the computer,
I'm able to use the card daily in a card reader for backup and storage with no problems.

Some people said this card worked for them, and that is why I bought it, but I could never recommend it
for use in the R-09.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com