Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Suggested newbie setup - DAT v MD v NJB3  (Read 4974 times)

Offline stunt_show

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
Suggested newbie setup - DAT v MD v NJB3
« on: August 03, 2003, 06:01:52 PM »
Hi there,

This is my first post.  The forum is an excellent resource and I am glad I found this page to discuss topics.

I do not have a Recorder as yet.  I have been weighing up the pros and cons of DAT v MD, and lately even the Nomad Jukebox 3.

My budget is approx $1K USD - I will be stealth recording, and from what I have read, eyeglass worn or head worn mics are the way to go?  I am about 6 foot 2 inches tall if that helps.

Should I opt for the compression-type MD Recorder with good mics, or would a DAT Recorder be best?  Is DAT being phased out, or will it always (in the next few years at least) be there as an option?

Also, should I consider buying new DAT Recorder, or used?  I am interested in either the Sony D-100 or PCM-M1.

Any suggested newbie setups and where I could get these from would be most appreciated...

Looking forward to some good discussion on the options available to me.  People have told me that the choice of mics are as important as the recorder itself.

Do many people think the NJB3 is worth looking into?

Thanks for the space and for reading.

Kind regards,

Adam (Australia)

Offline super-phat-al

• Vulture Shit, heard of it?
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I am a real American
Re:Suggested newbie setup - DAT v MD v NJB3
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2003, 06:21:55 PM »
There are some excellent Md recordings floating around that I have heard.  Personally i used MD and didn't find that my recordings had a whole lotta life to them.  They sounded dull.  However i was using a pretty crappy MD recorder.  The $130 Sony from Best Buy.  check out the Maktub BT in the kickdown central section by Blue666z.  That recording kicks some major ass.  Price wise i would recommended a D-8 if you want a DAT.  I got mine for $350 with about 15 hours on it and in great condition.  I would say buy it used.  Now the JB3 looks like an option.  I haven't used it or heard any recordings, but i have some good things about it.  Seems easy to use and transfer.  The only complaint i have heard is that there is a limited amount of time to record with.  I think on ebay they have some going for a little under $300.  

Well, anyways welcome to the board stunt_show.  Glad to have you here.  What kind of mics and pre you gonna run?

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2003, 07:43:55 PM »
for stealthing, I would imagine you'd be using the analog frontend on the jb3, right?

If you're going to be using the analog frontend, go with a M1/D100 without question.  If you're going to be taking a digital signal, that's another story.

Welcome and +T
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2003, 08:28:15 PM »
being that portable HD recorders are close at hand (end of the year or so), I say spend the least amount of money.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

DaryanLenz

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2003, 08:31:36 PM »
If you are in the market for a great condition m1, I might have one availible in the next week or so!

Daryan

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2003, 09:40:18 PM »
I'd say go MD.  You ccan get a brand new sharp for $85 and as long as you record in Stereo and not LP mode, no one complains about the compression. This way you can dump as much money as possible into the stuff that matters more, the mics.  An AD-20 wouldn't hurt either, but it's up you and your ear, good luck

Offline King Crimson

• Deez Nutz
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2003, 09:57:30 PM »
Audio Technica 853's are really stealthy and make some good tapes.  Go with MD till you really decide that you want to tape.  Its better to spend $80 then upwards of $300 and decide you dont want to tape.  I sure wish I had $1,000 to spend on a rig...so many possiblites.  Everyone is going to tell you to get tapes of mic's your interested in and decide what you like by your ear...everyone is different.  +T and welcome.

You can get the audio technica mics at:  http://www.soundprofessionals.com but try and find them used.  I got a really bitchin deal on a pair.  Also try to find the MD used.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2003, 10:05:38 PM by 21st Century Schizoid Man »
I'll have a bloody mary, a steak sandwich and...a steak sandwhich.

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2003, 10:06:37 PM »
or you can buy gear and then sell it once you realize you like something better.   8)

my name is nick and i'm a gear whore.

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2003, 11:49:57 PM »
i have heard halfway decent MD recordings, but i (and the majority of the people here) wouldn't use one simply because of the compression factor. dropped 0's and 1's are simply unacceptable.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline Stumptown Matt

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a happy tapir!
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2003, 05:47:39 PM »
MD is fine.  I used one for a couple of years and made good recordings.  The reason I swiched to DAT was not due to sonic differences but time.  You can record for 2 or 3 hours on a DAT tape, 80 min on MD.  The price of a DAT and a MD is about the same and you get more record time out of the DAT.  If you are stealthing you will need to change discs every 80 minutes which could cause you to get caught by security.  If you use a DAT you could theoreticly get the whole show on one tape.  I know nothing about the JB3.
When cleaning out her attic, Grace found several bootleg recordings her mother had made while traveling around the world with the Grateful Dead. Grace is not permitted to sell these bootleg recordings on eBay.

"If you like the Beach Boys, you'll love Widespread Panic."    -Big Mike

"Music Sounds Better on Grass" -Clear Channel advertising

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2003, 07:01:33 PM »
yea, i'm workin with MD now, but i'm workin on laptop my laptop rig... i know thats hard for stealtyness, but i always got my MD.  I have some good sounding shows, and some bad ones.. i've had only bad results from mini-mics... i've heard some pretty damn good quality shows with AT851's, but yea..  depends on what your gonna do, if your gonna stealth shows, and they are gonna be picky about searching you, then stay as small as possible, but some shows i stealth at, i bring one AKG391 and run mono, and you don't get the compression of LP2 or LP4 running mono..  it still encodes at 44.1, but i'd recomend gettin good mics.. and run MD for now, look into upgrading in the future if you dig it.

peace.
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2003, 04:25:38 AM »
just trying to help a brah out
http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=7;action=display;threadid=5239
cheap start, and a fair price, plus you can drop the extra money on a pre to throw into the mix

Offline olyrc

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I dig music.
    • My tapes on archive.org
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2003, 11:56:06 AM »
or you can buy gear and then sell it once you realize you like something better.   8)

my name is nick and i'm a gear whore.

My thoughts exactly.

My name is Ryan and I am quickly becoming a gear whore. ;D
Sonic Studios DSM-6S/L > PA-24 > TASCAM DR-07

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2003, 09:54:53 PM »
If I were to spend a grand (US), and I wanted to stealth, I would get:

1. Core Sound High End Binaural Mic set ($950).
2. A really crappy (possibly used) MiniDisc.

Then I would save up for a nicer deck. The mics are amazing and that is the most important part. And they are super small. Ideally I would upgrade to a JB3 and some sort of small A>D.

That's pretty much what I'm planning on doing for my stealth setup.

I currently run Oktava MC012's > UA5. I'm a pretty skinny dude and couldn't possible sneak than much in myself.

Anyway thats my $.02. It's all in the mics.

MIKE B
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2003, 10:06:52 PM »
Get used HEBs and a used DAT... that's about a G right there

Offline blu666z

• AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2003, 01:43:57 PM »
check out the Maktub BT in the kickdown central section by Blue666z.  That recording kicks some major ass.  

That is DAT not MD FYI.

-Kevin

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com