Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 5  (Read 126404 times)

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 5
« Reply #285 on: September 04, 2018, 10:41:00 AM »
Has anyone had success using a card larger than 64GB? If so, what card?
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #286 on: September 04, 2018, 11:27:01 AM »
Has anyone had success using a card larger than 64GB? If so, what card?
I have only used 128gb cards, and have had no issues usually recording 6 channels, with phantom on the 4 channels that supply phantom power at 24/48. I have used
SanDisk Extreme PRO 128GB SDXC Flash Memory Card
Lexar Platinum II 300x SDXC 128GB UHS-I/U1
Sony 128GB UHS-I SDXC Memory Card (Class 10)

There were others, but I don't have the info. Fuji comes to mind, I know I have 128gb Fuji cards. I have never had an issue.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline justme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #287 on: September 05, 2018, 02:25:30 PM »
I received my MixPre-6 as a replacement for the MP-3 which suffered from uncalibrated fader knobs.
The calibration precision on the mixpre 6 is spot on.
The mechanical position and electrical dB values are in perfect sync.

I’m as happy as anyone can be.

Ohh and it came with the latest firmware installed so I guess it’s quite fresh of the production line.

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #288 on: September 06, 2018, 05:36:39 AM »
I've been using Tekkeon MP3300's with my MP6 with great success.  I use the MX-Powersled Hirose adapter to get the job done.

Me too.  I also use a usb a > usb c cable with no issues. For a typically two band gig I use a battery sled with 8 AA rechangables. I use whatever card I have with no issue.  Guess I’m just lucky.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #289 on: September 06, 2018, 12:11:10 PM »

I just spoke to Nelson at Sound Devices. He said it is a card problem and not the machine. I will return the card to the place I bought it for replacement, and they'll send it in to SD for the company to examine, and then I will not find out what happened.

Hope everyone is satisfied with that.

:shrug:
I had a bad experience with my MixPre6 today. After soundcheck, I returned to my machine in advance of showtime, and the SD gave me a card error. I removed and reinserted the card, then it said BAD CARD.

This is the SD 32 GB card. YEAH, the one with the Sound Devices branding, which is the ONLY recommended card for this unit. I have a spare, but I used a Sandisk today and it seemed to go fine.

But I'm not pleased.

Thanks for letting us know about this.

I hope you will contact Sound Devices customer Service and let us know what happens after that. If I were in charge of SD, I would not be happy about something with the name of my company on it failing. I would definitely want my people testing out this particular card to find out (if possible) what happened. They say on their website that they extensively test these cards and it only makes sense that they would.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline relefunt

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • kindfulness
    • Milwaukee Taper
« Reply #290 on: September 06, 2018, 08:56:34 PM »
Well, it’s good to hear that it is a card failure.

However, I personally would rather physically mail the card to someone at Sound Devices (Nelson? Yes, you, Nelson. I’m looking at you) so they could check it out, send you a replacement, and keep track of who you are. Let’s say the card checks out perfectly well. Then maybe it might wind up being your deck (or some third explanation). But if you send it into your dealer and eventually it gets checked out by SD and nothing wrong is found, then how are they going to tell you that?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 08:59:00 PM by relefunt »
AKG c414xls, Beyerdynamic MC930, Line Audio CM3 and OM1. Superluxe S502mk2
Sneaky: Church CA11+14, Audiotechnica AT853.
Preamps: Shure FP24, CA9200.
Recorder: Sound Devices MixPre6, Roland R05, Sony M10.
my local taping blog: milwaukeetaper.com

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #291 on: September 07, 2018, 05:31:07 PM »
Well, it’s good to hear that it is a card failure.

However, I personally would rather physically mail the card to someone at Sound Devices (Nelson? Yes, you, Nelson. I’m looking at you) so they could check it out, send you a replacement, and keep track of who you are. Let’s say the card checks out perfectly well. Then maybe it might wind up being your deck (or some third explanation). But if you send it into your dealer and eventually it gets checked out by SD and nothing wrong is found, then how are they going to tell you that?
naw, the card is fucked, it won't be refurbished, it doesn't even read properly every time now.

I left a folder on it, named with my email & phone number and a request for contact, if someone actually looks at the card testing it.
 :help:

My problem now is that I don't know if I can trust the other card I got from the same supplier in the same order!?!
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #292 on: September 07, 2018, 06:01:03 PM »
My problem now is that I don't know if I can trust the other card I got from the same supplier in the same order!?!

I would never trust it.
The risk of it being from the same bad batch/wafer/serie is way to high.
I would return it as well.

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #293 on: September 11, 2018, 01:22:39 PM »
I’m hearing rumors about firmware 3.0 is on the way.
I’ve not received any information about this in my email though.

Any of you?

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #294 on: September 11, 2018, 01:24:27 PM »
Nope.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline sos

• Trade Count: (56)
  • Taperssection Member
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 05:17:33 PM by sos »
Mics
AKG:  Naiant actives (CK61/62/63-ULS) & C568 B
Audio-Technica:  AT853 (all caps)
Nakamichi:  Franken Nak(s): CM-300 (CP-1/2/3) & CM-700 (CP-701/702)
Primo:  EM4052PMI4 (CP-3)
Pres  Naiant: littlebox (v. 1.5/ot) & tinyboxes (v. 1.0 & 2.5)
Decks  Sound Devices: MixPre-10T | Sony: PCM-A10 | Roland: R-05 & R-09HR
Juice  Krisdonia LiPo 50k (NJF-5X) | LADDA rechargeables | Powerex MHC9000

Offline Ronmac

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #296 on: September 11, 2018, 01:37:41 PM »
“Sound Devices recorders have been used for Ambisonics field recording for many years, so it was a natural progression for us to bring our MixPre recorders into the new world of VR 360 recording,” said Matt Anderson, CEO of Sound Devices. “We are happy to partner with Sennheiser to provide a high-quality VR recording and monitoring option for our MixPre-6 and MixPre-10T customers.”

Support for the free Ambisonics plugin is a key feature of the MixPre version 3.00 Firmware, a free update being demoed at the show. The highly anticipated version 3.00 also enhances the user experience with all MixPre recorders by supporting full integration with four third-party USB fader controllers: Korg’s NanoKontrol Studio and NanoKontrol2, Novation’s LaunchControlXL, and Akai’s Midimix. The new firmware also introduces wireless remote transport control and monitoring of MixPre M models from iOS or Android mobile devices via the Wingman app.

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #297 on: September 11, 2018, 01:47:42 PM »
“Sound Devices recorders have been used for Ambisonics field recording for many years, so it was a natural progression for us to bring our MixPre recorders into the new world of VR 360 recording,” said Matt Anderson, CEO of Sound Devices. “We are happy to partner with Sennheiser to provide a high-quality VR recording and monitoring option for our MixPre-6 and MixPre-10T customers.”

Support for the free Ambisonics plugin is a key feature of the MixPre version 3.00 Firmware, a free update being demoed at the show. The highly anticipated version 3.00 also enhances the user experience with all MixPre recorders by supporting full integration with four third-party USB fader controllers: Korg’s NanoKontrol Studio and NanoKontrol2, Novation’s LaunchControlXL, and Akai’s Midimix. The new firmware also introduces wireless remote transport control and monitoring of MixPre M models from iOS or Android mobile devices via the Wingman app.

Well, that is stupid.  Why not just make the transport control device wide instead of just the M models?  How long have we been asking for more features in the Wingman app?
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #298 on: September 11, 2018, 03:48:31 PM »
^ Currently, the M versions aren't compatible with Wingman at all. The monitoring and transport they are adding are probably the same ones that are already available for the non-M versions. If they are adding new features (that aren't specific for the M), they will likely add them to the regular models as well.

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #299 on: September 11, 2018, 04:03:14 PM »
Thanks a lot!

Even though I would have liked wireless transport control - at least they are giving us USB faders :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com