Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 5  (Read 126187 times)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 5
« Reply #390 on: December 12, 2018, 04:47:02 PM »
I've been thinking about this. I can see how using an old preset can mess with the device. If you ever look at those preset files in an editor you can see and edit the various options yourself. So, if the old preset doesn't have the line of code for the pre-roll, then the machine will get confused. This may extend out to any of the features added in 3.0. Last night I updated to 3.0. But, when I tried to change the pre-roll (on an old preset) the option wasn't there. Maybe because that old preset didn't have the code to change... Just a thought and not a very elegant way of trying to describe the issue. I'll re-build my favorite presets and test again.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Paul Isaacs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #391 on: December 13, 2018, 08:45:00 AM »
I'm re-posting here from the other MixPre v3.0 thread in case folk here didn't get a chance to read it ...

Recordings not auto-splitting correctly at 4GB is definitely a bug which we will address as top priority.
Until we release a fix, please revert to v2.21 if you use 4GB auto-splitting.

Apologies for causing any inconvenience.

Paul, SD

Offline vwmule

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #392 on: December 13, 2018, 11:46:41 PM »
Paul, continued thanks for your participation in this forum.

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #393 on: December 14, 2018, 02:20:39 AM »
Taped a show last night with v3.0. Two mics @ 24/44.1 without a file split. Worked perfectly.

However, the Wingman app still leaves much to be desired. Every time the band got louder, I pulled my phone out of my pocket. But when Wingman finally connected to the MixPre, it was too late to check what I wanted to check. The time the app takes to connect to the MixPre is actually my biggest problem with it. Both the Roland and Sony apps do this way faster (or don't close the BT connection when the phone screen gets locked).

Offline junkyardt

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #394 on: December 14, 2018, 06:01:16 PM »
that was fast on 3.01.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #395 on: December 14, 2018, 06:09:39 PM »
that was fast on 3.01.
Yeah, I'm running with 2.21 this weekend. See how .01 weathers the bug storm. Holding out to see how stable it is, or if .02 is coming?!

https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Chuck

« Reply #396 on: December 17, 2018, 10:43:09 AM »
I really like my MP-6. It sounds great and becomes more intuitive the longer you use it. So, I'm going to start using channels 5-6 more. It doesn't look like there is any way to view the meters as you set the gain on those channels. Is that right or am I missing something? If that's the case I'll just run the line in (SBD) to channels 3-4 and use a portable mic preamp in front of channels 5-6 so I can adjust levels and see what's going on. I also like the new pre-roll feature.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Offline junkyardt

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #397 on: December 17, 2018, 11:28:23 AM »
I really like my MP-6. It sounds great and becomes more intuitive the longer you use it. So, I'm going to start using channels 5-6 more. It doesn't look like there is any way to view the meters as you set the gain on those channels. Is that right or am I missing something? If that's the case I'll just run the line in (SBD) to channels 3-4 and use a portable mic preamp in front of channels 5-6 so I can adjust levels and see what's going on. I also like the new pre-roll feature.

you'll see the meter change on the screen as you're tapping the up and down arrows for channels 5/6.

Offline morst

« Reply #398 on: December 17, 2018, 03:30:31 PM »
I think there is a tiny pair of meter bars in the corner of the display when you adjust 5-6 with the headphone knob.

You can also touch the meters on screen to go through the three views, at least one of which will show 5-6.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #399 on: December 17, 2018, 03:34:12 PM »
I tried it over the weekend and didn't notice the meters. I'll look harder tonight. LOL

After I rebuilt all of my old presets, because of the firmware change, I noticed I wish there was a way to update a named preset without having to type the name all over again. My presets have 19 character names and it's a pain to have to re-type all that with the headphone volume button.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #400 on: December 17, 2018, 03:53:50 PM »
I tried it over the weekend and didn't notice the meters. I'll look harder tonight. LOL

After I rebuilt all of my old presets, because of the firmware change, I noticed I wish there was a way to update a named preset without having to type the name all over again. My presets have 19 character names and it's a pain to have to re-type all that with the headphone volume button.

I thought you could use a computer keyboard in the USB A input.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline morst

« Reply #401 on: December 17, 2018, 04:00:38 PM »
The 6 and 10's have a USB-A port for a keyboard. When the machine is running on Full Power Mode you can type on that.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #402 on: December 17, 2018, 04:34:35 PM »
The 6 and 10's have a USB-A port for a keyboard. When the machine is running on Full Power Mode you can type on that.

Looks like Chuck has a 6. That’ll save some time.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline Chuck

« Reply #403 on: December 17, 2018, 04:39:21 PM »
I just read about it. It won't work with a keyboard that has spare USB ports on it, which I use. I need to find a cheap USB A keyboard. I'll hit Good Will on the way home.

Offline morst

« Reply #404 on: December 17, 2018, 05:11:34 PM »
I just read about it. It won't work with a keyboard that has spare USB ports on it, which I use. I need to find a cheap USB A keyboard. I'll hit Good Will on the way home.
Wow crazy! I only used it with my spare keyboard, which is the FOLD-3000 USB. No ports so I never thought about it. But yeah the power requirement for the USB hub which is built into those would be extra draw on the poor little Kashmir box.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com