Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 5  (Read 126465 times)

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 5
« Reply #405 on: December 17, 2018, 05:29:40 PM »
I just read about it. It won't work with a keyboard that has spare USB ports on it, which I use. I need to find a cheap USB A keyboard. I'll hit Good Will on the way home.
It says Keyboards with an embedded USB hub , not with a USB port. A (unused) USB port or ports on the keyboard should be fine. You may want to try the keyboard before messing with the encoder for long titles.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #406 on: December 17, 2018, 10:35:43 PM »
I really like my MP-6. It sounds great and becomes more intuitive the longer you use it. So, I'm going to start using channels 5-6 more. It doesn't look like there is any way to view the meters as you set the gain on those channels. Is that right or am I missing something? If that's the case I'll just run the line in (SBD) to channels 3-4 and use a portable mic preamp in front of channels 5-6 so I can adjust levels and see what's going on. I also like the new pre-roll feature.

you'll see the meter change on the screen as you're tapping the up and down arrows for channels 5/6.

Nope. As soon as I turn the headphone knob to raise or lower the volume the meter disappears. It'll work fine if a just put a pre-amp in front of it.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline So Many Roads

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #407 on: December 18, 2018, 11:24:30 AM »
MixPre 6 question: I know there aren't kashmir preamps in front of channels 5&6. Is there any preamp in front of those channels? If not, is an external preamp needed or beneficial when running a pair of mics into 5/6? Appreciate your thoughts/input/experience.

Edit - should have said 'is an external preamp needed or beneficial when running a line into 5/6' as those channels do not provide phantom power, as pointed out by Voltronic below.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 11:00:39 AM by So Many Roads »

Offline Paul Isaacs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #408 on: December 18, 2018, 02:55:55 PM »
MixPre 6 question: I know there aren't kashmir preamps in front of channels 5&6. Is there any preamp in front of those channels? If not, is an external preamp needed or benneficial when running a pair of mics into 5/6? Appreciate your thoughts/input/experience.

Yes, there is a preamp on 5 and 6. Just set to Aux In and then set Aux In to Mic.

Offline So Many Roads

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #409 on: December 19, 2018, 11:13:58 AM »
Paul - thank you for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it!

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #410 on: December 19, 2018, 05:28:56 PM »
Hey everyone... longtime TS'er but just rebuilding my rig of late.  Heading back to Team AKG and am looking at which deck to go with.  Currently have a Tascam DR-70D (which is pretty basic, I know) but have the option of picking up a MP6 here locally for around US$725-750.  Usually do four-channel (board/audience) but sometimes audience only.  Would this be worth the extra cash from the 70D or will that treat me well enough?

Thanks for the space.
Decks: Zoom F6, Zoom F3 w/ BTA-1 | Power: Neewer NP-F970 7800mAh | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #411 on: December 19, 2018, 07:39:40 PM »

The mic powering on 5/6 is 3V, which is not enough for most plug-in-power mics people here use.  It depends what mics you are using, but you will want a separate preamp.
https://www.sounddevices.com/products/recorders/mixpre-6/specs
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #412 on: December 19, 2018, 08:22:07 PM »

The mic powering on 5/6 is 3V, which is not enough for most plug-in-power mics people here use.  It depends what mics you are using, but you will want a separate preamp.

Wouldn’t you just need a power source for the mics, like a battery box or phantom power source?  I don’t know that you would need an additional preamp if there is already aN SD preamp on those channels.
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #413 on: December 20, 2018, 06:22:00 AM »

Wouldn’t you just need a power source for the mics, like a battery box or phantom power source?  I don’t know that you would need an additional preamp if there is already aN SD preamp on those channels.

I was not being very clear.  I meant to say that while there is a preamp, the polarization voltage is too low for most mics I could think of that one would use for music recording.  You are absolutely correct that a battery box (for lav mics) or phantom (for full-size mics) would fill the need.  If I ever buy a MixPre-6, I will likely be keeping my FP24 to use as a preamp and run line in to channels 5/6 for those rare occasions I need to use 6 mics for a concert.

It would be nice if manufacturers would make these inputs with a higher voltage supply, but I'll start a separate thread on that so as to not muddy the waters here.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #414 on: December 20, 2018, 08:10:58 AM »
Hey everyone... longtime TS'er but just rebuilding my rig of late.  Heading back to Team AKG and am looking at which deck to go with.  Currently have a Tascam DR-70D (which is pretty basic, I know) but have the option of picking up a MP6 here locally for around US$725-750.  Usually do four-channel (board/audience) but sometimes audience only.  Would this be worth the extra cash from the 70D or will that treat me well enough?

Thanks for the space.

Do it!  You won't regret it!
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline junkyardt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #415 on: December 20, 2018, 02:17:53 PM »
I really like my MP-6. It sounds great and becomes more intuitive the longer you use it. So, I'm going to start using channels 5-6 more. It doesn't look like there is any way to view the meters as you set the gain on those channels. Is that right or am I missing something? If that's the case I'll just run the line in (SBD) to channels 3-4 and use a portable mic preamp in front of channels 5-6 so I can adjust levels and see what's going on. I also like the new pre-roll feature.

you'll see the meter change on the screen as you're tapping the up and down arrows for channels 5/6.

Nope. As soon as I turn the headphone knob to raise or lower the volume the meter disappears. It'll work fine if a just put a pre-amp in front of it.

sorry, but i don't know what you're talking about. when i go to the screen for channels 5 and 6 and tap "gain" with a set of mics plugged in to 5/6 and then tap the arrows up or down, i see the level meter in the top left hand corner of the screen adjust to my changes and it stays there as long as i'm viewing that screen. it doesn't disappear. perhaps we're talking about different screens?

also, i just noticed while checking this that channels 5 and 6 now max out at 40db of gain. i can't remember what the max was on v2.21 but i'm pretty sure it was higher than 40. does anyone remember what it was on v2.21?

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #416 on: December 20, 2018, 02:23:11 PM »

What mode is your mixpre in? Basic/advanced/custom etc
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #417 on: December 20, 2018, 02:45:10 PM »
I'm using:

Basic gain
Advanced recording
Advanced channel

and going line in, not mic in.

Thanks for the suggestions, but the best thing for me will be to use my littlebox in front of it. I'll use that knobs on the pre-amp and it'll work great.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #418 on: December 20, 2018, 03:11:45 PM »

sorry, but i don't know what you're talking about. when i go to the screen for channels 5 and 6 and tap "gain" with a set of mics plugged in to 5/6 and then tap the arrows up or down, i see the level meter in the top left hand corner of the screen adjust to my changes and it stays there as long as i'm viewing that screen. it doesn't disappear. perhaps we're talking about different screens?

also, i just noticed while checking this that channels 5 and 6 now max out at 40db of gain. i can't remember what the max was on v2.21 but i'm pretty sure it was higher than 40. does anyone remember what it was on v2.21?

I can tell you when I get home tonight.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #419 on: December 20, 2018, 03:18:38 PM »
I'm using:

Basic gain
Advanced recording
Advanced channel

and going line in, not mic in.

Thanks for the suggestions, but the best thing for me will be to use my littlebox in front of it. I'll use that knobs on the pre-amp and it'll work great.

I use advanced mode. When you choose channel five or six (I use the * buton) you can see the level in the channel "window" of the screen as you adjust the volume with the "headset" knob on the side. I dont use the cutsom mode strategy so you can use the Channel knobs for setting ISO level. Since there are not six channel knows, how does this work for 5 and six - do you still have to use the "headset" knob?
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com