Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Aerco MP-2 preamp - Part 2  (Read 142568 times)

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Aerco MP-2 preamp - Part 2
« Reply #90 on: April 13, 2012, 10:04:04 AM »
The external bat connector on my Aerco is unreliable.  The Ratshack connectors don't provide a tight connection for me.  So I've been running the Aerco on alkalines for past couple of years.  That said, I hate buying alkalines and using bat snaps.  Pain in the arse.  I do like the convenience of have 1 less thing in the bag to connect (external battery).  So, this mod provides me a "peace of mind."  I can also run in the smallest bag possible.         

Ahh, ok, it's a personal preference type of thing. I use a right angle connector on the power cord, then I put a small piece of gaffers tape over the end of it and tape it to the MP-2 to hold it tight, just in case. I do get a tight connection on mine though. I leave the taped power cable connected to the MP-2 and just disconnect it from the dvd battery when not in use. That way there is never any unnecessary power draw on the internal 9V alkaline backups.
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #91 on: April 13, 2012, 10:04:19 AM »
^^^ What is the switch protruding from the left-hand side (with the knobs facing you)?

3 way switch for turning off the phantom power, so I can operate as a straight preamp.  Comes in handy when your transferring tapes, recording off the SBD, etc.

Cool...I kind of figured it might be related to power when I saw that you have a piece of tape where the normal on/off switch is located!

I'm curious about what you really gain with this lithium battery mod? I've been running my Aerco with internal 9V's connected as a backup, but using a lithium dvd battery connected as a main source, and I've been able to run for an entire weekend festival without any concern for battery power. I see no benefit to this if it is only to get rid of using alkaline batteries. I've suffered no dropouts, noise introduced to my recordings, or anything negative in using it the way that I have been using it. It's not that much bigger a footprint in actual use, and much smaller that that big charger block for house power, just a wal-wart cord that plugs into the dvd battery for charging.

Really, the advantage is not having to run through all of those alkalines (and not having to open the case to change them).  Plus Jerry says the run-times are longer than with alkalines.

As for external powering, you can still run it the same way as with a non-lithium Aerco.  The charge connector and the external power connector are separate; Jerry says there is no problem using them in any combination...

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #92 on: April 13, 2012, 10:34:15 AM »
The external bat connector on my Aerco is unreliable.  The Ratshack connectors don't provide a tight connection for me.  So I've been running the Aerco on alkalines for past couple of years.  That said, I hate buying alkalines and using bat snaps.  Pain in the arse.  I do like the convenience of have 1 less thing in the bag to connect (external battery).  So, this mod provides me a "peace of mind."  I can also run in the smallest bag possible.         

Ahh, ok, it's a personal preference type of thing. I use a right angle connector on the power cord, then I put a small piece of gaffers tape over the end of it and tape it to the MP-2 to hold it tight, just in case. I do get a tight connection on mine though. I leave the taped power cable connected to the MP-2 and just disconnect it from the dvd battery when not in use. That way there is never any unnecessary power draw on the internal 9V alkaline backups.

Which bat connector do you use to connect to the Aerco?  Ratshack connector or what came with the DVD battery?

You are correct on disconnecting the dvd battery.  Jerry says that the unit is always on when connected to an external battery.  The on/off switch does not work for external battery setup.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 10:36:28 AM by spyder9 »

Offline Myco

« Reply #93 on: April 13, 2012, 10:35:41 AM »

Which bat connector do you use to connect to the Aerco?  Ratshack connector or what came with the DVD battery?

Just a RatShack "M" tip I believe, I can check for you once I get home.
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #94 on: April 13, 2012, 10:50:50 AM »
BTW,  I upgraded the RCA connectors last year to Neutrik NYS367.  I bought them from Dale Pro Audio for $12.25 shipped.  I did the soldering myself.  The original connectors were of a chinese variety and became worn over time.  The Neutriks are a little longer than the originals and provided a tighter connection.   
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 10:53:58 AM by spyder9 »

Offline Myco

« Reply #95 on: April 13, 2012, 11:03:54 AM »
BTW,  I upgraded the RCA connectors last year to Neutrik NYS367.  I bought them from Dale Pro Audio for $12.25 shipped.  I did the soldering myself.  The original connectors were of a chinese variety and became worn over time.  The Neutriks are a little longer than the originals and provided a tighter connection.   

Thanks for the info spyder. I don't have a need for them now, but may in the future.  :coolguy:

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #96 on: April 23, 2012, 02:50:20 PM »
Everything went well at the Wanee festival this weekend.  Recorded 8 hours of music on the Peach Stage each day, with no issues.

Hot blazing sun did not affect the LIPO bats. 

Charging time is approximately 4 1/2 hours.

I am  :) with my purchase.   

Offline drewski1986

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #97 on: April 28, 2012, 11:38:50 AM »
Received my aerco this week.  I can't believe how tight it is in the case.  Putting in and taking out the 9V batts is really tight.  I can't get them in without moving the power supply board a little bit.  Hoping this won't hurt anything.  I tried all of my tips that came with my tekkeons and can't seem to get a good tight fit with any of them.  Any suggestions on getting the tekkeon to work well with the aerco?  My original plan was to just use the 9 volt batteries, but I don't know if I want to change them a lot if I'm going to be moving stuff around on the inside each time I change batteries.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #98 on: April 28, 2012, 12:11:57 PM »
I just use a piece of gaffer tape to hold the power plug in, and never had a problem.  It has been more reliable than the flawed screw-in design on the v3.  It's the same size tip as the v3 and psp2.

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #99 on: April 29, 2012, 09:50:56 AM »
The bat snap Jerry uses for the 9Vs are cheap and difficult to pry apart.  I agree with that.  I had upgraded mine, at one time, to a hard plastic snap.  The only drawback of this snap was positioning the batteries in the case to get the cover on.  The HD snaps take up a tiny bit of head room, because they are inflexible.   

cashandkerouac

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #100 on: May 17, 2012, 01:52:51 PM »
one more shameless plug for the Aerco MP-2.  boy oh boy, do i LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE my MP-2!   ;D

Offline drewski1986

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #101 on: May 23, 2012, 04:30:10 PM »
I contacted Jerry about not being able to fit 3 9 volts in my aerco correctly.  I sent it back to him and he found the screws that were used for the xlr's were too long and got in the way of the main board causing the open space for the batteries to be too small.  He fixed it very quickly and when I got it back he also enclosed a check to cover my end of the shipping.  Everything is good now.  I also had Ted make a power cable for my tekkeon.  He modified a straight cable into a right angle cable and it will work fine.  Now I have both options for powering the aerco.  I'll run it for Kimock next Friday for the first time.

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #102 on: May 31, 2012, 07:20:03 PM »
which tekkeon are people using?
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline Myco

« Reply #103 on: May 31, 2012, 08:04:33 PM »
which tekkeon are people using?

I've used the 3350 & 3450 with it. No issues really because it accepts variable voltages.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #104 on: May 31, 2012, 09:00:24 PM »
I want an MP-2 too :( ;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.139 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com