Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Problem with Sony M10  (Read 3534 times)

Offline nolajay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Problem with Sony M10
« on: May 02, 2017, 01:26:13 PM »
I just bought a Sony M10 from Ebay and brought it to JazzFest. I basically ruined every recording. My mics are CA14 cards with an ugly box, which are not the problem.

I started off setting the M10 at 24/96. If I record to the main memory this seems to work, but that only gives an hour of recording.

If I record directly to the SD card it will record perfectly for a while, then there is tremendous diginoise for a half hour which then sometimes magically goes away.

The recorder automatically opens a new 2GB file as each one fills up, and the pattern in the new file is normally the same - it records for a while then there is loud noise.

I tried setting it at 16/44 for the last night, thinking maybe the SD card just couldn't keep up with the data rate. This recording was more puzzling. After more than an hour, a slight background noise began which got slightly louder over a period of a few minutes, but by then I was done recording.

Does anyone have any idea of what I'm doing wrong?

The SD card in there is a 16GB SanDisk Ultra class 10 SDHC card, which came with the M10 from eBay. My understanding of the older M10 threads is that this class 10 card should work fine.

I considered just using the internal memory and copying to the SD card, but the copy process takes quite a while and won't work in the gap between songs.

Do I need to stop and start recording every half hour or so just to force the M10 to start a new file?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 01:37:14 PM by nolajay »

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
Re: Problem with Sony M10
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 01:50:32 PM »
I just bought a Sony M10 from Ebay and brought it to JazzFest. I basically ruined every recording. My mics are CA14 cards with an ugly box, which are not the problem.

I started off setting the M10 at 24/96. If I record to the main memory this seems to work, but that only gives an hour of recording.

If I record directly to the SD card it will record perfectly for a while, then there is tremendous diginoise for a half hour which then sometimes magically goes away.

The recorder automatically opens a new 2GB file as each one fills up, and the pattern in the new file is normally the same - it records for a while then there is loud noise.

I tried setting it at 16/44 for the last night, thinking maybe the SD card just couldn't keep up with the data rate. This recording was more puzzling. After more than an hour, a slight background noise began which got slightly louder over a period of a few minutes, but by then I was done recording.

Does anyone have any idea of what I'm doing wrong?

The SD card in there is a 16GB SanDisk Ultra class 10 SDHC card, which came with the M10 from eBay. My understanding of the older M10 threads is that this class 10 card should work fine.

I considered just using the internal memory and copying to the SD card, but the copy process takes quite a while and won't work in the gap between songs.

Do I need to stop and start recording every half hour or so just to force the M10 to start a new file?

Did you try recording just with the internal mics? If the problem persists, you can eliminate your externals for sure.

Are the batteries in the M10 good? Try new ones.

Did you try a different SD card? Be sure any cards you use are first formatted in the M10.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 03:38:15 PM »
you should not have to do this.

Sounds like it could be a bad SD card. Try recording something random for an hour on a different card?
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 07:30:12 PM »
I had a similar issue with mine. Turned out to be a bad card.

Also just record at 24/48. There is no need to do 24/96. It just takes up 2x as much space. I know I can't hear the difference between the two with a concert recording (maybe a really nice studio recording).

I always record to the internal storage first. Never had an issue with the internal storage. Most normal shows fit on the internal storage at 24/48.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 07:50:28 PM »
Have you formatted the card since getting the device?
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline nolajay

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 11:17:31 AM »
Thanks to all for the advice.

I had indeed formatted it over and over, so that wasn't my problem. I also had new batteries and the mics are OK.

As far as I can tell, it's a bad 16GB SD card. I bought a new 32GB one and let it record for hours and the problem didn't manifest itself. I'll test it later today at Marcia Ball but I'm optimistic that's the problem.

And for the record - for those searching through this forum - I bought a 64GB SD card which was not supported by the M10. It was OK with a 32GB but it can't format a 64GB card. I put the 64GB card in an Edirol (Roland) R-09HR and it doesn't support (can't format) a 64GB card either.

Offline adrianb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 01:54:31 PM »
I use 64GB cards in my M10 absolutely no problem. Don't format in the unit though, download Guiformat and then format FAT32.
Mics: Sennheiser MKH 8040, Sennheiser MKH 8020, AT BP4025, AT 853 cards, CA CAFS, CA 14 Omnis, CA 11 (Cards + Omnis), Soundman OKM II Classic
Battery Boxes: Sony XLR-1, CA 9200 Preamp, CA Ugly 2 Preamp, CA Ugly BB, Shure FP24
Recorders: Sound Devices MP3, Sony PCM-D100, Sony PCM-D50, Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Tascam iXJ2

Offline TheMetalist

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 02:10:39 PM »
Here's a guide how to format a 64GB card to make it work with M10:

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/sony-pcm-m10-as-portable-player.456327/page-9#post-8727898
"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.256 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com