Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices Raises Prices Again?  (Read 7805 times)

DF81

• Trade Count: (0)
Sound Devices Raises Prices Again?
« on: September 03, 2014, 07:30:02 PM »
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=764543&gclid=CjwKEAjw-JqgBRCAyqjoic27nlQSJABBTpFEM_AD6jKiAR5NASlRjiky_EMqZc_RExFTefMrL57kzRoC4Fnw_wcB&is=REG&Q=&A=details

Mixpre-D is now $929.99 at BhPhotovideo.com and Sweetwater.com

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=734341&gclid=CjwKEAjw-JqgBRCAyqjoic27nlQSJABBTpFEWnXYYXQ2vXwnNOlu_gtI8KSBgWgMArd5EBLMtmEsLBoCgDPw_wcB&Q=&is=REG&A=details

USBPre2 is now $879.99 at Bhphotovideo.com and Sweetwater.com

As if the price increase in 2013 wasn't enough (35-40%).  Hopefully the Mixpre-D's now come stocked w/ the 100% pure (or whatever) silver Lundahl transformers.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 07:36:50 PM by DF81 »

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sound Devices Raises Prices Again?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 07:41:01 PM »
Seems like it would be a good deal for someone that aleady owns an SD product. I guess it's just the cost of providing top-notch service and support on all of their products while manufacturing everything in the US. Cheers to them as they should charge more imo.

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 07:41:20 PM »
Looks like Sound Devices increased prices on most if not all their products

It's almost cheaper to buy a used 702 than a new SD MixPre-2
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

DF81

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 10:54:12 PM »
Seems like it would be a good deal for someone that aleady owns an SD product. I guess it's just the cost of providing top-notch service and support on all of their products while manufacturing everything in the US. Cheers to them as they should charge more imo.

Their service is excellent and they should charge more than the pre-2013 prices (35%), but I don't know why they would raise prices an additional $30 only a year later.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 11:26:31 PM »
Inflation is a bitch.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 11:04:05 AM »
^^ This..
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 08:52:04 PM »
?? Inflation in the U.S. and Canada has been low for the last several years; it has even been negative during part of this time. And we're talking about product categories that didn't even exist ten years ago. So I don't think that inflation is a major factor in this case.

Rather, I think it's the simple fact that professional audio products (especially those of the highest quality and reliability) are priced higher when and if there's enough demand to support such prices, in relation to the available supply. Where there's more competition among suppliers of comparable quality, prices come down; where there's less, prices come down less or they don't come down at all.

With stable product categories that are available from a number of sources (e.g. microphones), prices tend to decrease substantially over time if you use "constant dollars" as the basis.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 09:10:46 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 09:02:44 PM »
Agreed but manufacturing costs have risen, fuel has risen & cost of labor, here & overseas. We typically get price increases in the automotive aftermarket every year or so due to typical market fluctuations. I'm sure just the cost of labor & insurance alone for Sound Devices could warrant a price increase. As consumers & manufacturer reps we appreciate when there are no price increases but as mentioned earlier in the thread manufacturing & support that's based in the US will cost more due to higher overhead. Everyone wants American made but unfortunately we pay for it, this isn't a pro America rant it's just the facts of doing business in this country.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 09:05:25 PM »
Well, low inflation is still more than none!

Interesting fact, that period of deflation in late 2008 as a result of the housing market collapse is the only recorded moment of deflation in the US since the gold standard was abandoned in 1948. :)

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 10:40:08 AM »

That new 744 or 788 gets a little bit further out of reach.    :facepalm:

FWIW I hate spending 2K+ to buy used audio equipment.  Which is why I haven't done so.  I may have to adjust my tolerances if I ever hope to upgrade my 722 based rig.   
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline Jhurlbs81

• My LMA collection
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 03:46:49 PM »
?? Inflation in the U.S. and Canada has been low for the last several years; it has even been negative during part of this time. And we're talking about product categories that didn't even exist ten years ago. So I don't think that inflation is a major factor in this case.

Rather, I think it's the simple fact that professional audio products (especially those of the highest quality and reliability) are priced higher when and if there's enough demand to support such prices, in relation to the available supply. Where there's more competition among suppliers of comparable quality, prices come down; where there's less, prices come down less or they don't come down at all.

With stable product categories that are available from a number of sources (e.g. microphones), prices tend to decrease substantially over time if you use "constant dollars" as the basis.

In this case, (electronics) perhaps inflation isn't the cause, but as a struggling 30 something with a new child I take exception to the "inflation is low" meme.   The formula has been goal seeked for decades to understate the true inflation rate.  Sure core inflation is about 2%.  That is fine if you don't need luxuries like food and energy which are omitted from the "core" CPI figure you posted.  Take a look at this chart that uses the method used in 1990. 

The same can be said for GDP numbers.  In the 3Q of last year we changed the definition (again), this time to include movie productions and other non-tangibles that were never counted.  Italy and UK took it a step further and they now count illegal drugs and prostitution.  They can make the number whatever they want by revising the formula.
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/may/29/drugs-prostitution-uk-national-accounts

FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline Jhurlbs81

• My LMA collection
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 08:48:23 PM »
Thanks for clarifying.

I think substitution proves real costs are going up, and your standard of living is going down. Substituting from filets, to strips, to flanks, to ground... proves you are moving backwards.  also when the package sizes constant "shrinkflating" it hides the price increase. Have you bought cereal recently? The boxes are so tiny now :)

Oh, man. I sound like my dad.

FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline Jhurlbs81

• My LMA collection
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 07:45:21 AM »
My worry is if inflation really picks up the Fed cannot put the fed fund rate back to almost 20% as they did in the time period you specified to combat inflation.  Like you said I wasn't shopping for a house in the late early 80's, but I would imagine those high rates meant downward pressure on home prices as people buy based on the monthly payment not the cost of the home.  Where I live, buying a home is out of the question for me right now.  We're stuck with a zombie economy where we cannot let rates rise and if you want a return on your money, you're forced into equities which are super bubbly right now.  You are absolutely right about both inflation and deflation.  It's inflation for the things you need and deflation for the things you own. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 07:55:40 AM by Jesse Hurlburt »
FREE JERRYFREAK!

stevetoney

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 01:49:04 PM »
That new 744 or 788 gets a little bit further out of reach.    :facepalm:

FWIW I hate spending 2K+ to buy used audio equipment.  Which is why I haven't done so.  I may have to adjust my tolerances if I ever hope to upgrade my 722 based rig.

It's possible, but I have yet to hear of a 7xx recorder being retired because it was used to death.  YMMV, but for Sound Devices gear, I personally don't see much downside to buying pre-owned.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2014, 11:01:54 PM »
Put it this way: Sound Devices has a certain manufacturing capacity that they can manage well, and they experience a level of demand that they believe can support somewhat higher prices than they've been charging up to now. Their prices still aren't high enough that a competitor could swoop in and steal their market share.

They may not be entirely right in their projections of the market demand; maybe they really will lose a significant amount of sales income because of having raised their prices. But I don't think so. Usability, reliability and high performance are worth a hell of a lot to professional sound engineers, and it's not as if they've jumped up into some new, higher price bracket that they weren't in before; it's an incremental change. Their main class of customer will grumble and then absorb it.

It is what it is, in other words--not some whole other thing.
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.145 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com