Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: what is the next step up?  (Read 10741 times)

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: what is the next step up?
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2008, 07:43:05 AM »
hm... I think we are getting a bit off topic now... anyone who has a good answer to these questions?

Q2: What power supply would you guys reccomend to the Newaton MCE 400 if I want to run them with an edirol r09?
       The Denecke PS-2 mini (terminating in a 3.5") seems to be an option. Is there other phantom powers to concider aswell?
       Size is imortant so a suggestion for a small 48v phantompower with double 3-pin in and a 3.5" out is important!

The PS-2 mini is probably the most popular portable dual channel 48v phantom power source.  I've been using for several months now and I like it a lot, relatively small, no problems, easy to insert a 9v battery on the fly and hot swappable as well.  It can be tough to s****th when metal detectors are used, however, as it is somewhat bulky and has an entirely metal case. 

Offline nicegrin

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2008, 09:47:36 AM »
hm... I think we are getting a bit off topic now... anyone who has a good answer to these questions?

Q2: What power supply would you guys reccomend to the Newaton MCE 400 if I want to run them with an edirol r09?
       The Denecke PS-2 mini (terminating in a 3.5") seems to be an option. Is there other phantom powers to concider aswell?
       Size is imortant so a suggestion for a small 48v phantompower with double 3-pin in and a 3.5" out is important!

The PS-2 mini is probably the most popular portable dual channel 48v phantom power source.  I've been using for several months now and I like it a lot, relatively small, no problems, easy to insert a 9v battery on the fly and hot swappable as well.  It can be tough to s****th when metal detectors are used, however, as it is somewhat bulky and has an entirely metal case. 

So is there another smaller option to concider aswell?

Toy Box:

MICS:

Omnis:  6xNevaton MCE400s, Countryman b3s (modded), MM HLSOs (4.7K mod), Aevox in ear MK2s, CA-11s
Cards:   Schoeps MK4s with Schoeps CMRS, Milab VM-44 Links, SP CMC-8,  AT853, Sennheiser MKE 104, MM HLSC-1s, ECM-717
Hypers: AKG CK93s (modded), SP CMC-8, AT853, Audix 1280s (Church actives).

INBETWEEN: Naiant Tinybox (CMR mod), Naiant Tinybox (p48 mod), Naiant PFA, CA-9100, CA Ugly, Denecke PS-2 mini, MM-MBM, MM-CBM, SP SPSB-8, custom nuetrik XLR to TRS cables, 5 pin to 5 pin extension cable. 

DECKS: A10, M10, R05, Tascam DR-05, R09-HR , MT2, Sharp MS-H702, MZ-R 70.

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2008, 10:56:58 AM »
The Art Phantom II will work as well.  small cheap plastic. I had one for a while and it worked just fine!  Not sure who I sold it to...  Bean maybe.  That team pittsburgh is full of sluts.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 10:59:08 AM by Krispy D »
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline Sunday Driver

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2008, 11:24:49 AM »

I own a PS-2 with the miniplug output mod, and I like it. However, I would only recommend this if you are recording very loud music. If you taping quieter sources, I would suggest a preamp that supplies phantom power; such as a Sound Devices Mix Pre or Aerco MP-2. If you just run the PS-2 into your recorder's line input, you will be using a lot of gain from the recorder, or in quieter situations you may not even get enough to produce levels near 0db.
You either record it or it's gone forever.
My Tapes

Offline ScotK

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2008, 07:16:00 PM »
This is a good discussion and I suspect I'm not the only lurker here, interested in this topic! :)

thanks.

scot

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2008, 08:20:58 PM »
While the Nevatons are definitely better sounding, the quality control and matching is somewhat sketchy.

Not an issue if you buy them from the right dealer.  (that would be ME, in case you were wondering)
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline bugg100

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2008, 10:25:57 PM »
Coming late to the party here.  Reading your original post, you list off a nice enough round of mics that you feel only so so about and state that you have been most happy with hypers.

Playing devils advocate here, not trying to be an ass.... Two questions come to mind.

1) What kind of pre-amp have you run behind all of these mics (whether it is a stand alone pre or is built into your recorder)?       And most importantly: 2) What sort of mic PLACEMENT have you practiced?

Any of the above mics CAN make stellar tapes with proper placement and the BEST of the suggestions given will not really help poor placement.

Joe

Hi!

I´ve tried the mm hlso (sennheiser mk2es omnis), mm hlsc-1 (sennheiser mk40s cards), SP CMC-8 (AT 943 hypers) and the Chris Church ST CA-11 (omnis). They are all good mics I guess. My favourite of the bunch seem to be the SP CMC-8 hypers who seem to produce a nice result in most situations.

But I´m kind of looking to take the next step up... What is the logical next step up? What mics should I concider if I want something better then I have and still small ($tealthable)?

I know alot of you guys will say dpa 4061s but those havn´t really convinced me so other suggestions are very welcome...

Secondly I just have to say I was a bit surprised to see that I have recieved atleast 4 -Ts... And that from only asking simple questions with a humble attitude I hope. Tapers are a hostile bunch? 

Nicegrin

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2008, 10:27:41 PM »
Oh yeah, plus T for asking for advice!

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2008, 11:07:34 PM »
schoeps actives with Nbox+
would be my #1 choice for high quality in smallest package
(see pic attached)

MK-4 caps=1550
Nbox+=1600

or

CCM-4=4100
Aerco MP2=750 (3 to 4 month wait)

or mk4 caps=1550 (1000-1200 used)
cmr mic bodies+battery box = 1050
preamp of your choice

Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline nicegrin

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2008, 09:29:08 AM »
answers...

Q1: in most cases only a 9v bb as I mostly record loud stuff. For the MM HLSC-1 I do need a preamp to make it work at it´s full potential. I have the CA ST 9100 pre.

Q2: As I´ve mainly been using them in crowds and not on any stand I´m not sure you can really say I´m able to use a specific config. I try to have them about 17-25 cm apart with a 120 degree angle.

N

Coming late to the party here.  Reading your original post, you list off a nice enough round of mics that you feel only so so about and state that you have been most happy with hypers.

Playing devils advocate here, not trying to be an ass.... Two questions come to mind.

1) What kind of pre-amp have you run behind all of these mics (whether it is a stand alone pre or is built into your recorder)?       And most importantly: 2) What sort of mic PLACEMENT have you practiced?

Any of the above mics CAN make stellar tapes with proper placement and the BEST of the suggestions given will not really help poor placement.

Joe

Hi!

I´ve tried the mm hlso (sennheiser mk2es omnis), mm hlsc-1 (sennheiser mk40s cards), SP CMC-8 (AT 943 hypers) and the Chris Church ST CA-11 (omnis). They are all good mics I guess. My favourite of the bunch seem to be the SP CMC-8 hypers who seem to produce a nice result in most situations.

But I´m kind of looking to take the next step up... What is the logical next step up? What mics should I concider if I want something better then I have and still small ($tealthable)?

I know alot of you guys will say dpa 4061s but those havn´t really convinced me so other suggestions are very welcome...

Secondly I just have to say I was a bit surprised to see that I have recieved atleast 4 -Ts... And that from only asking simple questions with a humble attitude I hope. Tapers are a hostile bunch? 

Nicegrin

Toy Box:

MICS:

Omnis:  6xNevaton MCE400s, Countryman b3s (modded), MM HLSOs (4.7K mod), Aevox in ear MK2s, CA-11s
Cards:   Schoeps MK4s with Schoeps CMRS, Milab VM-44 Links, SP CMC-8,  AT853, Sennheiser MKE 104, MM HLSC-1s, ECM-717

INBETWEEN: Naiant Tinybox (CMR mod), Naiant Tinybox (p48 mod), Naiant PFA, CA-9100, CA Ugly, Denecke PS-2 mini, MM-MBM, MM-CBM, SP SPSB-8, custom nuetrik XLR to TRS cables, 5 pin to 5 pin extension cable. 

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2008, 11:01:52 AM »
What recorder?

PM sent regarding other questions...

Offline nicegrin

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2008, 06:11:15 PM »
edirol r09
Toy Box:

MICS:

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2008, 10:18:24 PM »
So is there another smaller option to concider aswell?

ART phantom 2 is a good, cheaper option, but the PS-2 mini is probably the smallest and easiest portable phantom power source you can use with the R-09.  It's a bit bigger than the R-09, but it's easy to use and easy to change the 9V on the fly.  Definitely recommend getting one if you want to upgrade to phantom powered mics and use them with the R-09.  Otherwise, you can consider changing recorders to an all-in-one type (that can provide 48V phantom) like the 16-bit Marantz PMD-660 or the 24-bit Fostex FR2LE (rather large) or Sound Devices 702/722.  But these are much more expensive options (and still bulky).

Offline nicegrin

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2008, 05:16:56 PM »
finding good portable stuff is not really an easy thing it seems like... The nevatons seem very nice though... tricky...
Toy Box:

MICS:

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2008, 05:22:41 PM »

While the Nevatons are definitely better sounding, the quality control and matching is somewhat sketchy.

It used to be worse...trust me.They are on the right track now.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com