Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

What hyper cap do you prefer?

Gefell m21
16 (21.6%)
AKG 63
27 (36.5%)
Neumann
3 (4.1%)
Schoeps
25 (33.8%)
other
3 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Author Topic: Hyper caps: What do your ears like?  (Read 11550 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Re: Hyper caps: What do your ears like?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2005, 08:53:42 AM »
and for hypers that dont cost $1500 per mic...
laugh away..but the Oktava mc-012 sound awesome.  best sounding cap out of the bunch.  I bet a dorsey mod set would be pretty fat....and compare favorably.

while I have heard sooo many mk41 recordings that smoke...and I voted it as my fav...I think the 483 sound is very pleasing...especialy over Carls tube system.
:)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2005, 02:01:49 PM »
I believe it was Darrin who said (paraphrasing), if you're in a spot where you need to run hypers you're in the wrong spot

When I'm desperate enough to need a directional mic

I like that ;D

I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2005, 02:27:43 PM »
I believe it was Darrin who said (paraphrasing), if you're in a spot where you need to run hypers you're in the wrong spot

Yeah, that's a good point.  But at least in my case there are some venues where even if I'm in the sweet spot, the obnoxious blathering LOUD crowd will absolutely decimate the recording without the off-axis rejection hypers offer.  If my choices are between running cards (or a more open pattern) and hearing blathering crowd with a background of music, or hypers and hearing music with a background of blathering crowd, I'll go with hypers every time.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Ray76

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2005, 02:54:46 PM »
a bit ot...but do hypers leave a gap in between the highs and lows, no mids...or would that be more of an attribute of XY.??.My BPB tape the other night was great.cept the mids were somewhat lacking...teddy

Ray76

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2005, 03:13:04 PM »
thanks Mike.

+T

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2005, 03:13:59 PM »
I don't hear this magical removal of obnoxiousness going on when using hypers. Its a little mysterious to me, but it seems to work for others :shrugs:

It isn't removal of obnoxiousness, it's a shift from forefront to background.
Roland R-05

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2005, 03:59:28 PM »
moke - not as much as you think because the rear lobes cross each other creating somephase cancellation.  minimal, but noticeable IMHO

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2005, 06:37:15 PM »
Here's something I scanned in from one of the mic books I read over the last few years.  I can't remember which one but it has a ton of info in a relatively simple looking picture.  Read the text slowly and carefully.  Then when you think you've got it...read it again.

Key points for this discussion:
rejecting sound from the rear and capturing from the front - hypers are best
rejecting ambient sound and capturing direct sound - super cards are best
capturing it all - omnis (of course)
capturing it all directly (minimizing side pickup) - fo8
and then you can stick the sub-card in between the omni and the card

This doesn't address any of the frequency characteristics associated with the different designs (i.e. depressed low frequency response on pressure gradient mics) or the off axis effect.

Anyways, thought someone may find it interesting.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2005, 03:04:08 AM »
Same thing with happens with cards, thats where I get confused as to why to get more aggressive in a polar pattern.

I hear you, Moke.  But my experiences show me that the more directional the pattern, even shifting from cards to hypers (which is minimal, IMO, relative to shifting from hypers to shotguns), has a HUGE impact on cutting out obnoxious ambient noise.  The more aggressive pattern simply moves the chatterers further into the background unless they [1] overpower the desired sound source, and are [2] on-axis - of course, in which case it doesn't matter a hoot whether you're running cards or hypers.

And,... aren't you more prone to opening up the rear of the stereo pattern, with the hyper tails creating thier own little din pattern to the rear?

Theoretically, yes.  But IME the rear lobe is so small and relatively unsensitive compared to the front lobes, that I've never experience enough chatter from behind that I consider it a problem.  Chuck in the phase issues mentioned by others, and the rear lobe simply doesn't have a negative impact in my experience.

Still, from what I've heard of them,... ain't my cup of tea. I'm not trying to reshape the presented musical experience, just capture what was there sir, including all the bumps and grinds.

I completely understand where you're coming from.  But IME there are clear situations where running hypers instead of cards results in a listenable recording - though colored and not strictly representative of what I heard that night (thank goodness!) - instead of a recording that is so marred by blathering fools that it detracts so much from the music as to make the recording unlistenable to me.  A perfect example in Chicago is the Abbey Pub - it's one of the single most blathering venues I've ever been in.  And the only reason I can walk away with a recording in which I hear more music than crowd is with hypers.  The off-axis rejection simply does make that much of a difference for me.  Perhaps some of this comes down to differences in playback systems - maybe I'd hear less of a difference if I had a higher quality playback setup, like yours.  Hmmmmm...

some of y'all get alot more out of that slight polar pattern change than I could ever conceive of. :hmmm:

Yup, like in the Abbey Pub, as I mentioned above.  But I try not to run hypers unless I know I have to - because I do prefer a more open, natural sound.  I usually try run sub-cards and figure-8 as much as possible.  As long as that open, natural sound allows me re-live the music instead of the blathering crowd.

whenever I ran them, a chatterer was still a chatterer, was still a chatterer,..... pattern didn't seem to amke that big a diff, once I was away from omni and into directional mode.

Methinks it's been a while since you've been in a truly wretched performance space.  :P  I will never run anything but hypers ever again for ambient recordings in the Abbey Pub, because I know my results will suffer significantly if I run cards, and tremendously if I run sub-cards, omnis, or figure-8.
Roland R-05

Offline Xpanding Man

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Homer meditate now
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2005, 02:13:17 PM »
i love the mk41's.  haven't heard too many MG hyper tapes but i've like those as well, but the schoeps a bit more.  I didn't like the neumann hypers at all.  bought them ran them a few times, sold them.  i found them to be kind of harsh.

agreed. The mk41's are my fav. nice bass response. the most versitile cap there is, imo.

seconded....the 41's are the only hypers that sound good on stage / FOB, as well as from the section....a very versatile cap indeed.
The ships of state sail on mirage & drown in sand (R.Hunter)

open: Busman Actives / ADK TL's / MK012s > V3 > DR70 / iRiver
stealth: AT 943 > Church Uglybox > Tascam DR2

Being Taped: 
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, Olsondoc (Languedoc Copy), Mod Midi Strat, SG, 335, etc. 
Effects: Too many
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe II
Acoustics: Martin D-35 / Gitane DG-250 (Selmer Style) / Kick-Ass German Archtop (Glasl)

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2005, 03:37:46 PM »
love mky mk41's...but the pattern of the m41's is different from most hypers since its actually a super cadriod...
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2005, 03:39:55 PM »
love mky mk41's...but the pattern of the m41's is different from most hypers since its actually a super cadriod...

not sure if i understand why the label matters? 

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2005, 03:53:04 PM »
super cardiod has a slightly wider pick up pattern and smaller rear lobe...hence the reason people like the bass response in the mk41 over most other hypers, best I could find to show both was here...

http://homerecording.about.com/library/blpatterns2.htm
« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 03:55:37 PM by creekfreak »
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline tadjblack

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2005, 08:22:59 PM »
483>148>apogee is very close to perfect for my ears
Team Bama Alumni

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2005, 08:27:07 PM »
483>148>apogee is very close to perfect for my ears

ditto

anything AKG > ? > apogee is 90% perfect.  the Oade pre just seals the deal.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com