Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: mic opinions  (Read 10428 times)

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
mic opinions
« on: October 19, 2006, 01:52:39 PM »
I'm looking for another pair of mics.  I am able to get all these within the 7-8 hundred range.  Which would you choose?  Why?
I currently have TLII's and 451's.  Mostly record acoustic music.

Neumann KM 184's
MBHO 603/ka200n
AKG 460 ck61's
SD LSD2
Peluso's

What I really want is ck1's with the actives and some 460 bodies.  How hard are those actives to really find?  How many run them here? How did they find em?

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
Re: mic opinions
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 02:17:07 PM »
Acoustic music, eh?

You should try the Beyerdynamic MC930s.  Might make you forget about everything else on your list.   ;D
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 02:36:25 PM »
I'm not familiar with those.  Pretty good huh?  I'd have to find a used pair as most of the new pairs seem to be in the 1000 range.

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 02:39:59 PM »
I'm not familiar with those.  Pretty good huh?  I'd have to find a used pair as most of the new pairs seem to be in the 1000 range.

Good luck finding them used.  People that buy them tend to keep them.   ;D

However...Warren Dent can help you out with a very nice price:  http://www.frontendaudio.com/Beyerdynamic_MC_930_Cardioid_True_Condenser_Microp_p/1563.htm

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 02:41:16 PM »
Cool.  That's in my range.  Hmmmmmm.

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 02:54:15 PM »
A good thread to start with:  http://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php?t=80355

Not much out there yet, but I have yet to find anything but the highest praise for this particular mic.  Call Warren and pick his brain.  I'm sure he'll shoot it to you straight, and maybe even give you a couple other choices you hadn't thought about...

Offline jlykos

• Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 03:36:48 PM »
You may also want to look at the Microtech Gefell M300 mics.  Fixed cardioid capsules, but nothing sounds better for the money.  They are within the price range of the mics in which you are looking and sound fantastic.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 03:42:44 PM »
They are within the price range of the mics in which you are looking and sound fantastic.

No they aren't, unless you only want one of them
(they do sound great though).

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 03:46:57 PM »

What I really want is ck1's with the actives and some 460 bodies.  How hard are those actives to really find?  How many run them here? How did they find em?

There are 4 or 5 of us that run them.  It took me about 2 years to get them.  After looking about a year I actually was first in line for teh one's Goose was running, but couldnt swing the cash.  But just a couple of months ago I was able to get some that were offered here.  Turns out they were the same ones I almost got the year before.  I love them and have been very happy with what Ive taped so far.  Last two times were onstage for acoustic bands.
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 05:15:38 PM »
acoustic music??

ribbon mics. without question. SU-PER-IOR for acoustic applications!

cascade fatheads are awesome, and cheap(300 for a pair) and leaves you some dough to get a nother pair of mics(fwiw, the legendary acoustic/classical engineer/producer tony faulkner uses Rode NT-1s..those are about 300 for the pair too)

OR audio technica 4050 pair..

I say go for something different...something that everyone and their mother on the board isnt using..if noone tries new products tapers will be stuck in a microphone time warp. (kudos to the folks that tried berliners and milabs)..

if you like the sound of breaking glass, go for the km184s! :P I despise those microphones.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 05:17:44 PM by Teddy »

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2006, 06:37:01 PM »
I say go for something different...something that everyone and their mother on the board isnt using

Yup.  That's exactly why I recommended the MC930's in the first place.  Dare to be different, dammit!   :-*

RebelRebel

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2006, 06:42:43 PM »
I say go for something different...something that everyone and their mother on the board isnt using

Yup.  That's exactly why I recommended the MC930's in the first place.  Dare to be different, dammit!   :-*

just dont order em from france. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2006, 06:45:38 PM »

just dont order em from france. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Well...those are actually 803's, but...point taken.   :P  +t

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2006, 06:59:30 PM »
Thanks for the input guys!  Keep it coming.  Those Beyers seem pretty nice.  Noticed the frequency range of 40-20 as opposed to 20-20 like most recording mics.  Is that an issue? 

Also Teddy nice on the ribbon recommendation.  I have thought about those for awhile although don't know a whole lot about ribbon mics.  Are they more delicate than regular mics?  Inside only type of thing?

I was kinda leaning toward a sd pair so I can have the option of having a smaller setup when I'd like to but now I'm all thinking ribbon!  Hmmm.  Decisions decisions.

RebelRebel

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2006, 07:06:34 PM »
Thanks for the input guys!  Keep it coming.  Those Beyers seem pretty nice.  Noticed the frequency range of 40-20 as opposed to 20-20 like most recording mics.  Is that an issue? 

Also Teddy nice on the ribbon recommendation.  I have thought about those for awhile although don't know a whole lot about ribbon mics.  Are they more delicate than regular mics?  Inside only type of thing?

I was kinda leaning toward a sd pair so I can have the option of having a smaller setup when I'd like to but now I'm all thinking ribbon!  Hmmm.  Decisions decisions.

man, once you hear ribbons...youll be a changed man!  they are a bit more delicate, but if you take care of your gear, no worries. Dont blow in em, dont send em phantom, and dont yell in them...the sound...man..so smooth and "earthy"...would make wingsing sound like maria callas!

there are no active electronics in ribbon mics..so the noise is non-existant(unless it comes fromyour preamp or signal)

http://www.royerlabs.com/faq.html

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2006, 07:12:47 PM »

no

many ribbons have 40-18 response.  some vintage neumanns (km54's, etc.) are 40-18 as well.  it's not really a factor.

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2006, 07:14:06 PM »
no phantom?  How are they powered?  Where would placement of these mics be appropriate?  I'm afraid even onstage in front of an oldtime band might be too loud?

stirinthesauce

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2006, 07:15:36 PM »
though ribbons sound excellent, I don't believe they are practical for out applications (as live PA driven tapers).  I do own a ribbon but that is in addition to my other mics.  Ribbons are fragile, limited to a single pattern (fig 8) and require high gain.  If you want a practical all around mic, go with one of the sd mics mentioned above.  

Don't get me wrong, if you have other mics in your arsenal, try a ribbon out.  But if you want a mic with versatility, go with a condensor.

Edited to add;   Oooops, see by your first post you have other mics.  If you know your situation for taping, try out the ribbons  ;D
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 07:18:08 PM by stirinthesauce »

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2006, 07:19:34 PM »
I'm looking for another pair of mics.  I am able to get all these within the 7-8 hundred range.  Which would you choose?  Why?

Neumann KM 184's
MBHO 603/ka200n
AKG 460 ck61's
SD LSD2
Peluso's

for acoustic, id def go w/ the mbho's, id go actives if i did

otherwise, just for something diff id try the peluso's, they sound good to my ears but i also havent heard many tapes with them

for ease of use the lsd2 would be the shizzle too :)

but for acoustic stuff, i have always loved the mbho's personally

one of my fav tapes ever was from keller incident at the first bonnaroo in 2002, and the tapes SMOKE every other source IMO
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RebelRebel

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2006, 07:39:54 PM »
he said acoustic recording... for acoustic recording..aint much gonna top a ribbon, sound wise...and not all ribbons are figure 8 .

and they are dirt cheap(the fatheads..300 a pair!) so you could get another pair of mics on top of that!

and besides..the mics he listed have all been used over and over and over(cept the pelusos)...the community needs to be on the bleedin edge man... :) who wants to use what everone else is using??? ;D ;D

though ribbons sound excellent, I don't believe they are practical for out applications (as live PA driven tapers).  I do own a ribbon but that is in addition to my other mics.  Ribbons are fragile, limited to a single pattern (fig 8) and require high gain.  If you want a practical all around mic, go with one of the sd mics mentioned above. 

Don't get me wrong, if you have other mics in your arsenal, try a ribbon out.  But if you want a mic with versatility, go with a condensor.

Edited to add;   Oooops, see by your first post you have other mics.  If you know your situation for taping, try out the ribbons  ;D

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2006, 07:57:17 PM »
WTF?  The mics shot up 200 bucks in 3 hours.  strange...  They were 799 earlier.

http://www.frontendaudio.com/Beyerdynamic_MC_930_Cardioid_True_Condenser_Microp_p/1563.htm

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2006, 08:11:18 PM »
he said acoustic recording... for acoustic recording..aint much gonna top a ribbon, sound wise...and not all ribbons are figure 8 .

Mark, maybe you can clarify.  My assumption was that you record amplified acoustic music (bluegrass through a PA)...

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2006, 08:16:52 PM »
no phantom?  How are they powered?  Where would placement of these mics be appropriate?  I'm afraid even onstage in front of an oldtime band might be too loud?

Ribbons are technically dynamic mics, not condensers.

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2006, 08:24:09 PM »
Usually onstage mics and a board is what I would grab. Bluegrass/oldtime music.  But I do also see bands like Yonder.  And on occasion some Critters Buggin.  That type of thing.

stirinthesauce

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2006, 08:47:44 PM »

and they are dirt cheap(the fatheads..300 a pair!) so you could get another pair of mics on top of that!

and besides..the mics he listed have all been used over and over and over(cept the pelusos)...the community needs to be on the bleedin edge man... :) who wants to use what everone else is using??? ;D ;D

though ribbons sound excellent, I don't believe they are practical for out applications (as live PA driven tapers).  I do own a ribbon but that is in addition to my other mics.  Ribbons are fragile, limited to a single pattern (fig 8) and require high gain.  If you want a practical all around mic, go with one of the sd mics mentioned above. 

Don't get me wrong, if you have other mics in your arsenal, try a ribbon out.  But if you want a mic with versatility, go with a condensor.

I'm in total agreement about trying different mics.   ;D  Guess my point was if I was to have one set of mics, condensors would be the only option, sd's at that.  But as I edited, I see he said he has other mics so Ribbons would be great alternative to try out, especially at the price point to get into them.  For onstage purposes, they are ohh so silky smooth

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2006, 09:20:15 PM »

RebelRebel

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2006, 09:27:47 PM »
Anyone familiar with these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Matched-Pair-Neumann-Gefell-PM750-cardiod-condenser-mic_W0QQitemZ220038640760QQihZ012QQcategoryZ133011QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220038640760

I know they're a little out of my range but I might be able to swing it.

yeah..if you have mains power access all the time..if not, yoll have to get them modded for p48(which isnt hard to do)..I am actually getting this done for two other folks here..

If I were you I would scope out a pair of the MV692 bodies, with m70 capsules or Um70 capsules..

those can be had for little money, and are great..

if you want to shop on ebay germany, i can act as middle man and ship to you..

« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 09:30:34 PM by Teddy »

RebelRebel

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2006, 09:31:49 PM »

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2006, 09:48:36 PM »

I used a old RCA mic on a gospel/folk group in Louisville, Kentucky with an audience of 19,000 people in attendance. It was the only mic on stage. I had one of the best most authentic acoustic sounds I have ever heard. There was 2 guitar players, 1 mando, a standup bass, and three vocals. They were all gathered around this one mic, the sound was so good I got goose bumps. The show was in the round. I am a firm believer in ribbon mics. The only thing I would say about them is, you better have a very quiet preamp to use with any ribbon mic for acoustic performance or recording. I was pretty scared that I would have feedback issues, but to be honest there was none. I turned up the fader I did not touch any eq on my console and the sound was there full as life.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 01:26:14 AM by Church-Audio »
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RebelRebel

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2006, 11:14:59 PM »
Chris...USE PERIODS man...I like reading your posts, but they are hard to read because you dont punctuate.. :)

I used a old RCA mic on a gospel/folk group in Louisville, Kentucky with an audience of 19,000 people in attendance it was the only mic on stage I had one of the best most authentic acoustic sounds I have ever heard There was 2 guitar players 1 mando a standup bass and three vocals around this one mic the sound was so good I got goose bumps. The show was in the round. I am a firm believer in ribbon mics. The only thing I would say about them is you better have a very quiet preamp to use with any ribbon mic for acoustic performance or recording. I was pretty scared that I would have feedback issues but to be honest there was none I turned up the fader I did not touch any eq on my console and the sound was there full as life.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2006, 01:27:44 AM »
Chris...USE PERIODS man...I like reading your posts, but they are hard to read because you dont punctuate.. :)

I used a old RCA mic on a gospel/folk group in Louisville, Kentucky with an audience of 19,000 people in attendance it was the only mic on stage I had one of the best most authentic acoustic sounds I have ever heard There was 2 guitar players 1 mando a standup bass and three vocals around this one mic the sound was so good I got goose bumps. The show was in the round. I am a firm believer in ribbon mics. The only thing I would say about them is you better have a very quiet preamp to use with any ribbon mic for acoustic performance or recording. I was pretty scared that I would have feedback issues but to be honest there was none I turned up the fader I did not touch any eq on my console and the sound was there full as life.

I fixed it  :P Now you can read it. I would not want to strain your brain with my post's.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RebelRebel

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2006, 06:52:26 AM »
Man, my feeble brain needs all the help it can get!

thanks brother!

I fixed it  :P Now you can read it. I would not want to strain your brain with my post's.

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2006, 09:11:59 AM »

Neumann KM 184's
MBHO 603/ka200n
AKG 460 ck61's
SD LSD2
Peluso's

there's an auction for violet design black finger

http://cgi.ebay.com/VIOLET-DESIGN-BLACK-FINGER-MED-DIAPHRAGM-CONDENSER-MIC_W0QQitemZ130035730778QQihZ003QQcategoryZ41466QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

try and snipe it for cheap price and then buy the other black finget at odyssey pro sound for 250.

another underrated gem is the necvaton mc49 a pair could be had for 1000 bucks if you look around. :)

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2006, 09:43:16 AM »
We were actually discussing the finger last night and contemplating a purchase!  there are a couple on Ebay UK for about $300 each...   ;D

I've been dying to hear the Violet Design mics myself.  The Black Knight looked kind of cool too.

OK, I'm watching this one... >:D

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2006, 09:46:23 AM »
We were actually discussing the finger last night and contemplating a purchase!  there are a couple on Ebay UK for about $300 each...   ;D

I've been dying to hear the Violet Design mics myself.  The Black Knight looked kind of cool too.

OK, I'm watching this one... >:D

I/ we only own the dolly...it has a pretty sound ( for the price i bought it for). I should post a pic soon. ;D

stirinthesauce

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2006, 03:59:38 PM »
Just a heads up on the Beyer mc930's.  BH has their stereo pair listed for 999 but if you add it to the cart, you get a reduced price of 765.  The catch is that they are special order so you have to wait a 3-4 weeks.  This is gonna be the lowest I believe anywhere and won't last long.  Price is going nowhere but up and quick.

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2006, 05:52:29 PM »
someone won a pair of violet desgn fingers for 300 bucks..wow >:D >:D

anyone here? >:D >:D >:D

RebelRebel

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2006, 06:21:42 PM »

wasnt me. I dont like ugly microphones. >:D

stirinthesauce

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2006, 06:40:06 PM »
Dirk was eyeing these at one point.  Whether or not he bought them............... ???

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2006, 07:10:29 PM »
Tapermark:

I have another recomendation for you. Since you already have a LD and a SD condensor pair, maybe try a pair of the small electret omni-directional microphones. They range in price from $19 each (Naiant Studio) to thousands of dollars (Earthworks) with many inbetween (Church Audio, Sound Professionals, Core Sound etc...). I find these microphones make very life like recordings and are often overlooked for various reasons.

I do, however, agree with Teddy, that it's hard to beat a ribbon microphone for acoustic music.

Chuck
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2006, 07:18:22 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback guys.  I decided to go vintage.  Grabbed a pair of Microtech Gefell MV 692's w/ M70's!  :0)  I think I will get some ribbons but they are so cheap I will get some down the road.  Really wanna try em.  Cheers!

RebelRebel

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2006, 08:12:44 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback guys.  I decided to go vintage.  Grabbed a pair of Microtech Gefell MV 692's w/ M70's!  :0)  I think I will get some ribbons but they are so cheap I will get some down the road.  Really wanna try em.  Cheers!

Wise man.  :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.134 seconds with 70 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com