Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SONY PCM D-50 quick defective and a Flaw in design?  (Read 11182 times)

Offline headroom

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • My Work with Photos and for Documentary Cinema ( Soundjob)
SONY PCM D-50 quick defective and a Flaw in design?
« on: March 14, 2008, 10:11:31 AM »
I was on job for 4 weeks in the Phillipines where my Sony died exactly after 80 days of use. One mike channel is dead and it eats up the bat in 15 minutes, the other channel has a strong high frequency noise. Only coping over  the USB Connection worked. Was lucky to bring the old Microtack I  as backup with me and the Art Phantom Supply.

Any other problems like this arround?

I was taking photographs 2 Weeks and recording at the same time in the philippines and missed so many good recordings becaus things damned thing was not triggering. The other 2 Weeks for Filmsound, with the Microtrack I never missed anyting.

The D-50 machine is good exept:

When you press Record on your Audio or Video recording Machinche, it should behave to do "recording", and not to stay in Standby mode!

What a Flaw SONY!

« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 11:57:36 AM by headroom »

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spare some change and testify!
Re: SONY PCM D-50 very quick defective
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 10:30:45 AM »
I would be sending that monkey back to get replaced since it should still be under Sony warranty.  While I have not put my PCM-D50 through the same trials, it has showed no problems since getting it last November.  I have recorded Christmas Jam, New Year's Eve and 3 other shows since.  I guess Wanee will be the main trial for me...
But, hope you get it back to Sony asap and get it replaced.

mrsoulMark
It seems to me what you lose in mystery, you gain in awe.  Sir Francis Crick

Offline headroom

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 11:03:09 AM »
Yes I trying to do. But the included PCM D-50 Sony Warranty Paper is complitely missinformational www.sony.com/service is not responable for this machine. I am from switzerland and its only US warranty ist short 90 days, whe have here one year.

So I recieved mail from SO NEVER ( transleted in our nativ swiss )

Thank you for contacting Sony Support.

We are really sorry, but you have reached Sony's consumer electronics and computer support center. Unfortunately we do not have access to the resources required to assist with Sony's Business & Professional products or systems. Please contact our Business & Professional support team for all assistance:

Phone: (866)-SONY-BPC
Mon - Fri 9:30am - 6:30pm (EST)

TIP: Detailed product and support information for Sony's
        business products is also available online at:
        http://bssc.sel.sony.com/BroadcastandBusiness

Your Sony Email Response Team
C651
Sophia

Offline headroom

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 11:19:34 AM »
Just came back from abroad. Exactly today is my 90 days warranty over and I am still wating for an response from Sony's business products.
I have informtion here in Switzerland Sony Pro Broadcast is only interested to sell expensive Pro Videocams, Audio Pro is starving " to less Profit " When the big brother PCM 1 came out, there was only a stock of 25 units in holland for whole Europe! A complaint  from a swiss reseller make the difference to Chicken little 25 stock because, otherwise ZERO ZERO UNITS.

INSALATA MISTA BABY

goofy says thanks for moving it to recording gear "harhar"
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 11:29:55 AM by headroom »

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 08:43:53 AM »
When you press Record on your Audio or Video recording Machinche, it should behave to do "recording", and not to stay in Standby mode!

The Zoom H4 acts the same way: The first push on the RECORD button puts it in standby, so you can check recording levels, and you need a second push to start recording.

I lost a really good cello performance on my very first use of the H4 when I forgot this!

"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spare some change and testify!
Re: SONY PCM D-50 quick defective and a Flaw in design?
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 08:51:59 AM »
All the Sony Hi-MDs do the same as well.
It seems to me what you lose in mystery, you gain in awe.  Sir Francis Crick

Offline flintstone

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 01:20:06 PM »
Headroom,

You wrote, "...One mike channel is dead and it eats up the bat in 15 minutes, the other channel has a strong high frequency noise..."

Tell us more about these failures in your D50's electronics.  Are you talking about the built-in mics, or the external mic input jack? 

A dusty, humid climate like the Philippines can be tough on equipment.  Did the D50 get wet?  Were you recording where moisture from the ocean (mist, spray from waves) could have affected the D50?  When you traveled, was the D50 packed in a case that might have been dropped?

Thanks.
Flintstone

Offline headroom

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 02:27:51 PM »
My infos: one Micamp is dead internal + external. After working alone for 2 Weeks my Director Camerman and friend came over from switzerland and we wanted to do some filming and record the sound on the Sony. Tuesday morning before Videotaping I wanted do the  setup. I was linking my brand new ART Phantombox in the Hotel with my AT 3031`s where the problem startet even with the internal Powersupply. There was no rain when i used  the machine. I was in the citys  Tabuk and Bagiou,  in the Mountains not at the sea. Was Sunshine its beginning summertime now, Monsun is August September.
On location I had the recorder on my neck in a case. Packed within  clothes while travelling inside a big bag. No dropping as far I now. We are travelling in privat Van and I loaded the bags myself.

Here you can see my taking photographs in Bagiou Cit, Kalinga on Luzon Illand
( after 2 Minutes with red shirt in the left corner)

Recorder was working at time on a Post behind the crowd with a friend watching over it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qwJwiXkb_I&NR=1

Here my red Bag and windprotection for the SONY: Rode SVM Dead Kitten
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 02:52:29 PM by headroom »

Offline headroom

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 04:12:09 PM »
Filming on the roof with the Kalingas headhunters
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 04:15:29 PM by headroom »

Offline headroom

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 01:32:21 PM »
Really stupid only US warranty and SONY US say`s are not responsible.

Kafka is back?

here the answer from Sony broadcast:

This  location is in the United States.

Please follow up with this customer in Switzerland.

Sent: Monday, March 17, 2008 6:27 AM
To: KC-WRPC BP Research
Subject: defective SONY warranty how to?

Hello I am trying since last weeek to get an correct information what to do for get Warranty for my defective PCM D 50 : I only have  wrong nformation on the Warranty packed with the device. I am from switzerland an 800 numbers does not work I mailed Friday 03.14.08 uit get no response.

Greetings Werner

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 12:12:43 AM »
If you need production field gear, then use production field gear...

The sony ain't even close, heh...
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline headroom

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 06:14:43 AM »
Why do you thinks so? Is  this a mantra you read somewhere? Do you have a bit of Damage joy?
As far as  I know I am the only one here with a problem.

Filming tis second time "every ounce counted" we hade so much overweight . I had 12 Kilo on my Backpack,  smuggled in another 10 Kilos second Handbagage. Still payed 900$ Overweight. On the Flight back we counted 24 Kilos overweight but for Free this time. And we 3 smuggled 60 Kg  Handbagage.

In general  the SONY has a superp elegant size, design, is generation 2, with excellent sonic Quality.

The cold electronic design (non Class A ) has a lot do do with the quality of the sound. And Line in its hard to beat. Even the Miks are great. Why spend spend so much money ( Apogge SD Sonosax Catanar etc.)  in gear? I was stupid not to by 2 of them because the are so cheap.
I have also a setup with Apogee Mini MP and Mini MP SPDIF out to Mictrotrack. Wich I use on location in Switzerland.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 10:28:20 AM »
I was stupid not to by 2 of them because the are so cheap.

All I'm saying is most folks around here are recording for a hobby. When it's more than that, when you absolutely can't afford failure in the field, that requires different planning. Bombproof pro gear can handle A LOT more abuse, but if size/weight is of that much concern, I think your comment above holds a lot of water. It all depends on how bad a failure in the field is going to play out for you. That's all I'm saying. Would I be surprised to see any of these small units fail in the field on occasion (R9, PMD660, D50, etc.)? No.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline headroom

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 11:24:39 AM »
My cheap Microtrack never let me down on the Philippine Job 2007/2008. Bevore I was working with Edirol R4 for 2 years. Used it for an other cinema movie* but it eats Battery like crazy. And the sound was dull.
The cheap devices are not always bad.

* Johle und Werche = Jodeling and Working a film about swiss traditon: singing an the living of the farmers in the swiss mountains

http://www.johleundwerche.ch/johlendwerche/Index.html

Offline chucky

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Hookd on cronics
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 11:53:10 AM »
That's strange, cause my MT is a piece of shit.
I would NEVER try to run it on a paying gig even if it was reliable.
Let's me down all the time, but for me it's just a hobby (as is for most here).

And I swear my Sony M1's/D8's all went into standby mode after just pushing record once.
I think that's quite common for Sony products, and not a problem at all once you know how to work the gear. It's actually quite useful as you can check levels without wasting precious CF space, especially
with the 2g split, although that's prolly not a problem with you.

I'm not really sure I understand this post at all, are you just trying to ask for advice on what to do with the defective D50 ? (I'm also not surprised to see it fail in the field ie. all around the world, doing location sound). Or are are you here to argue what gear is worthy to be ran as "production field gear"?... What's the problem again?

Also, a decent rig isn't going to be very noticable when your $900 over anyway.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com