Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Do I need a storage upgrade? Looking for most reliable outboard storage  (Read 6452 times)

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • 😈
So I amazingly got my "new to me" Lenovo T440 all set up and all my post software downloaded for free. Nice computer thanks for all the suggestions.

One question: I have all my recordings and a lot of ripped GD live releases on a three year old Passport Ultra. Noticed the warranty is three years. Should I be upgrading or what? Not a Cloud guy but want to minimize chance of loss.

Thanks!
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
Remember there are two types of hard drives: those that have failed and those that will fail.  It's only a matter of time.  Get everything backed up ASAP.  How you go about backing up your data is up to you...there are a lot of options.  The easiest is probably to just get another external and copy everything onto it.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
So I amazingly got my "new to me" Lenovo T440 all set up and all my post software downloaded for free. Nice computer thanks for all the suggestions.

One question: I have all my recordings and a lot of ripped GD live releases on a three year old Passport Ultra. Noticed the warranty is three years. Should I be upgrading or what? Not a Cloud guy but want to minimize chance of loss.

Thanks!

Look at investing Hard Disk Sentinel Pro.  It runs with very little load but constantly monitors the S.M.A.R.T. status of your hard drives or SSD.  It's a life-saver in that if a drive is getting ready to fail, you'll know well enough in advance and have time to replace the bad drive. HD Sentinel Pro will also read the status of USB drives as well but only while connected.

As Heathen said, there are only two types of drives; that's VERY true.  I've got some drives that are six or seven years and doing well and had a few others that didn't even make their first birthday.  And as far as brands, everybody's had their experiences.  I've had EVERY brand of drive fail on me over the years so a drive is a drive in that aspect.

Hope some of this helped.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
Hugely helpful thanks!

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
I've got all my junk of several HHDs...

But after I lost my Trey Archive, I signed up for BackBlaze.  Now I have all my stuff backed-up on line... 

Not perfect, but its better than losing my Trey Collection again...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
I back everything up to both a second (really fourth) external drive and to the cloud via BackBlaze. I've come close enough to losing everything not to want to chance it.

And while obviously you don't want to buy a total piece of crap, any backup drive at all is more important than what kind you get. After all, the odds on your backup drive failing at the exact same time as your primary drive are pretty remote.

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
And while obviously you don't want to buy a total piece of crap, any backup drive at all is more important than what kind you get. After all, the odds on your backup drive failing at the exact same time as your primary drive are pretty remote.

Unless they're both installed in the same computer, which would (at least marginally) increase the chance of both failing at the same time (for example, from some sort of virus or other malicious software).
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Taperssection Member

Unless they're both installed in the same computer, which would (at least marginally) increase the chance of both failing at the same time (for example, from some sort of virus or other malicious software).

Exactly. Or a huge power failure. Happened to me and fried both the hard discs in my pc. Luckily I had 2 extra back ups on external hard discs.
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate

Exactly. Or a huge power failure. Happened to me and fried both the hard discs in my pc. Luckily I had 2 extra back ups on external hard discs.

That's why you want a cloud backup as well. Even an external hard drive backup won't help if your house burns down.

Offline robeti

• Taperssection Member

That's why you want a cloud backup as well. Even an external hard drive backup won't help if your house burns down.

correct. Or store at different locations.

As a 3rd backup I burn my edited masters on m-disc blurays and leave them at another location.
Not ideal but not that bad either.
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra

Offline robeti

• Taperssection Member
I do audio and multi-angle video. As much as I like storing it all in the cloud it's not an option with this amount of data (50+ GB per show)
recorder roland r-05 

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
Thanks all! The Backblaze suggestion is great and for my needs not expensive. 

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
Backblaze itself recommends the 3-2-1 strategy.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/the-3-2-1-backup-strategy/

"A 3-2-1 strategy means having at least 3 total copies of your data, 2 of which are local but on different mediums (read: devices), and at least 1 copy offsite."
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline robeti

• Taperssection Member
Backblaze itself recommends the 3-2-1 strategy.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/the-3-2-1-backup-strategy/

"A 3-2-1 strategy means having at least 3 total copies of your data, 2 of which are local but on different mediums (read: devices), and at least 1 copy offsite."

That's what I try to do as well. 2 local and 1 offsite (on mdisc)
recorder roland r-05 

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
What would you guys recommend for cloud storage for say at least 2tb?  This is mainly photographs I really don't want to loose and so far--knock on wood--I've only lost one hard drive and this was way back in the early years of my digital photography.  The music I taped is spread out all over but mainly with friends and friends of friends.  I wasn't much for post work and found it tedious to track shows and upload so much of what I have is either on DATs or on the 2tb drive.  Anyway, this thread reminded me I need to buy another hard drive and back up my 2tb drive that is about maxed out.   
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.122 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com