Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-22WL 2ch recorder with Wifi app remote control  (Read 69004 times)

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
Re: Tascam DR-22WL 2ch recorder with Wifi app remote control
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2014, 09:40:13 PM »
If the mics were 12 feet up in your ears, then you must be a mighty tall chap (or maybe dancing on the bar?)! :)

These days I would expect any recorder's external input to have a flat response and low noise, so the quality of this recording is determined by the mics rather than the recorder (but of course it does show the external input is not defective!).  And what the mics hear is substantially determined by the quality of the band amplification.  Unless the in-ears were used with a dummy head on that 12 foot stand, then the result will not be in accordance with the mics specs.

I didn’t buy the mics planning to use them as they may have been designed. If you want to, you can compare the recording to my 2 other recordings of the same show. I think they are mics that make a nice recording and it was a simple inexpensive setup that worked well. I had the mics more or less in an x/y pattern sitting atop the shockmounts that housed my gefells. The other recordings are on archive too. Just press the other copies of this show link. I posted the link because someone wanted to hear external mics and I think it showed the deck can make a nice recording.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2014, 10:23:52 PM »
Indeed, comparing the original link to the Gefells, those cheap mics acquitted themselves very well - even if not ear-worn (which might have improved the stereo image which is slightly narrow compared to the Gefells, but the actual sound doesn't seem to have suffered much).  Left and right are swapped between the two recordings but given the number of recordings you were running at the same time, that's hardly surprising!

I hope this humble recorder attracts more interest in due course, but then again, it's in a crowded market and doubtless the wifi feature carries a price premium.

Offline DancyGeorgia

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2014, 01:31:04 AM »
That's what I was waiting to hear!  Nothing thin about that recording.   I'm shocked how good it sounds for a pair of $70 in ear mics. 

Where were you in the room relative to the band?
I recently bought those mics on sale at Sound Professionals for $20.00. Quite a steal I think. I was about 10 or 15 feet back from the monitors in a noisy bar, near the sound board, mics up high, about 10 or 12 feet..

Thanks for the reply everyone!

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2014, 12:11:46 PM »
Indeed, comparing the original link to the Gefells, those cheap mics acquitted themselves very well - even if not ear-worn (which might have improved the stereo image which is slightly narrow compared to the Gefells, but the actual sound doesn't seem to have suffered much).  Left and right are swapped between the two recordings but given the number of recordings you were running at the same time, that's hardly surprising!

I hope this humble recorder attracts more interest in due course, but then again, it's in a crowded market and doubtless the wifi feature carries a price premium.
I agree. And I agree that Tascam and other well known brands have really have shown that you can get great sound on a budget. I bought my DR-22WL in the yardsale for $110. But even new and at current market prices there are a number of low priced decks that perform quite nicely. 

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2014, 12:33:22 PM »
The shockers are putting binaural mics 12' up, followed by paying $20 for them, and getting a essentially unused 22wl for $110.   ;D

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2014, 07:55:09 PM »
Yes, but he had to be good all year.  Merry Christmas, one and all!

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2014, 11:37:39 PM »
I have only just sobered up enough to check out the Christmas Day update to the Android app for the DR-22WL.  This update seems mostly to be a fix for the non-functioning "browse" function of the previous release.  It now works, and significantly, it adds a "copy" button to the selected file.  This copies the file to your phone (of course it's more practical if the file is in mp3 format), and then you can play the file on the phone.  Currently this seems to require you to use a separate player app - I used Google Play Music, which immediately identified the transferred file as new, and allowed me to play it.

So, you can now remotely check that you have something useful recorded.  Personally I would use this during soundchecking, recording in mp3, check that all was well, then (remotely through the app) switch to BWF for the real recording.

All pretty damn neat.

I'll check this version out in greater detail later and report anything else worth mentioning if merited.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2015, 05:21:08 AM »
I've just got around to giving the latest Android app version [1.1.6] a try, and it offers some nice new features.

The biggest new feature is that when you have downloaded an mp3 file across the wifi link (let's assume for instance that the recorder is on the top of a tall mic stand and you are at the back of the hall. and you want to check how the rehearsal is sounding), now there is a "play" button on the app interface to replay (in your phone) the file you have selected in the app's browser.  There's also a progress bar you can use to skip to different parts of the recording.  Simple but effective.  The app will now run (with most features not accessible) without the recorder being switched on and linked, in order to enable this playback of already-transferred files.  There's also a "soundcloud" button to upload to the internet direct from the phone - which I haven't tried yet.  If your wireless data allowance would permit it, that would mean you could upload to the net right from the hall.

The other two minor features allow you to choose a menu option which at a touch copies the current exact date and time from your phone to the device clock;  and you can download firmware to your phone, and install that to the device from the phone.  So you could do a firmware update on location if you really wanted to, and if at home, I think updating via the phone on wifi might actually be more convenient than via a PC.

Chief missing feature (for me) remains the "mark" button, though you can remotely set auto mark functions with the current app version.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2015, 09:57:17 AM »
There is a $25 rebate on the 22 and the 44 for US buyers.  Some are also bundling the 22 with a 4 gig card, Sony sound forge and an inexpensive headphone set. 

I am still not certain whether to get the 22 to run 4061 via a pipsqueek or to go for the 44.  I could care less about the built in mics. 

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2015, 11:32:27 AM »
There is a $25 rebate on the 22 and the 44 for US buyers.  Some are also bundling the 22 with a 4 gig card, Sony sound forge and an inexpensive headphone set. 

I am still not certain whether to get the 22 to run 4061 via a pipsqueek or to go for the 44.  I could care less about the built in mics.
Here is a link to a recent show with the lineage: Church CA11's (Cardioid)>Naiant PipSqueak>Tascam DR22WL (24bit 48kHz)
https://archive.org/details/HaHG2015-01-15.FirstAveMN_CA11s

stevetoney

« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2015, 01:54:26 PM »

Here is a link to a recent show with the lineage: Church CA11's (Cardioid)>Naiant PipSqueak>Tascam DR22WL (24bit 48kHz)

Cliff...do you use your Tascam with an iphone or an android and do you use the wireless functionality?  If so, are you happy with it?

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2015, 02:14:09 PM »
I just joined Team DR22wl.  I am intrigued with the idea of wifi control and the price point is low enough for me to consider being an early adopter.  B&H is also offering free overnight shipping so I will have it tomorrow.  I'll be using mine with my iPhone in the field.
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2015, 05:06:09 PM »

Cliff...do you use your Tascam with an iphone or an android and do you use the wireless functionality?  If so, are you happy with it?
Steve,

I use android. I am not yet happy with the app, but it is getting there. I am happy having the deck and like the WiFi implications. So far the two times I used the deck, after about three hours, the WiFi signal was lost and my phone would say no WiFi available. But the deck continued to record. The last recording I made (I've used the deck twice now), was the day before the app was again upgraded, so I hope the issue is solved. I have sent a report to Tascam when the app has failed.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2015, 05:35:04 PM »
How far back were the mics from the stage? 

Seems to me the best use would be where you could put mics right up at the stage.  Back in the room, the 22 wouldn't seem to have any advantage over a nonwifi recorder.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2015, 06:02:20 PM »
How far back were the mics from the stage? 

Seems to me the best use would be where you could put mics right up at the stage.  Back in the room, the 22 wouldn't seem to have any advantage over a nonwifi recorder.
The potential for placement is limitless, depending on the boundless ingenuity and resourcefulness of the taper  8) ;D. That said I was merely experimenting so my deck was up with other gear about 15 feet in the air. No other purpose than to test and see what occurred. First Ave is a tough room, I was behind the Soundboard about 30 feet back (maybe more). I will say the room sounded quite good that night, and as always (unfortunately) the chatter level was on super high which is why going high is so important.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com