Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tekkeon cell replacement?  (Read 4122 times)

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
Tekkeon cell replacement?
« on: February 04, 2015, 02:37:05 AM »
So I bought an 8 lot of MP3300s and two of them (so far) have taken a full charge and have been used for a night of recording. Unfortunately, they wont charge back up again. Since they were at halfway level, I tried to recharge- no go. So I drained them down to cycle them and now they show no charge. I assume the cells are bad. Anyone have some insider tips as how to replace these? I know Kirk did it for a bit but I think he is currently inactive.
Any help is appreciated.
Coby
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 02:40:37 AM by cobiwan »
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Tekkeon cell replacement?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 09:26:50 AM »
Sorry about the Tekkeon issues Cobi, but not to worry.  If you have any soldering ability whatsoever, you'll be able to restore your batteries to better than new condition.

It takes a little bit of sifting, but pretty much everything you need to know is packed inside this thread, including the batteries you want to buy off of ebay and photo's you can use to show you how to wire the batteries up.  Don't forget to buy some soldering tabs off ebay.  Otherwise, I get the wires and soldering supplies from Radio Shack. 

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=153993.0

PS:  If you've never soldered before, it's really not difficult at all for basic projects such as this.  Just follow this fairly simple tutorial and you'll be fine for the batteries, which requires very basic solder skills.  The one thing this tutorial doesn't discuss though is that I like to use soldering flux prior to soldering pieces that have never been soldered before...flux can help the solder to flow and stick, though I believe most solder has flux integrated. 

http://www.aaroncake.net/electronics/solder.htm
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 09:59:36 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 09:44:47 AM »
I haven't even used my eBay Tekkeon's yet. Marking thread in case I find out mine are bunk.

Thanks for the links tonedeaf.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

stevetoney

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 10:10:32 AM »
One major assumption I made with my earlier response is that anyone that tackles this project understands the basic concept of how groups of cells get wired up to make a higher voltage battery.  The thread I linked to above doesn't discuss that.

I could probably take over for kirk with the battery refurb service if people really need someone to do this for them.  Contact me separately if you think it's not something you want to try yourself. 

I've even got a batch of individual cells I could offer to the first few people ( think I bought 16 of them), though I haven't tested them since I bought them awhile ago.  I got them because I figured I'd be refurbishing my batch of Tekkeon's soon, but so far they're all working well enough that they haven't needed refurbishment.

Offline Cobiwan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 01:38:41 PM »
Thanks for the insight Tonedeaf!
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline jsfrank

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 11:59:24 PM »
Tekkeons are garbage. Got a Naztech PB15000 as per Ted's recommendation and he is making my dual cable for it now. Feels much more solid.

http://www.amazon.com/Naztech-PB15000-Universal-Charger-Extended/dp/B007URKIGC
Austrian Audio OC818 > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II

stevetoney

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 10:47:46 AM »
Tekkeons are garbage.

Confucius Say...one man garbage another man treasure!  ;)

Offline Cobiwan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 11:42:43 PM »
One major assumption I made with my earlier response is that anyone that tackles this project understands the basic concept of how groups of cells get wired up to make a higher voltage battery.  The thread I linked to above doesn't discuss that.

I could probably take over for kirk with the battery refurb service if people really need someone to do this for them.  Contact me separately if you think it's not something you want to try yourself. 

I've even got a batch of individual cells I could offer to the first few people ( think I bought 16 of them), though I haven't tested them since I bought them awhile ago.  I got them because I figured I'd be refurbishing my batch of Tekkeon's soon, but so far they're all working well enough that they haven't needed refurbishment.

I might take you up on this offer Steve. Maybe next month though, the financial sting of buying the 680 a few weeks ago is still lingering and I have 2 shows to buy tix for and 7 shows to record in the next3 weeks. I'll hit you up about it later to see if you can still do it.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Cables:

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com