Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Lithium Ion battery care tips  (Read 2161 times)

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • it's recreational
Lithium Ion battery care tips
« on: July 14, 2005, 08:04:32 PM »
I hadn't seen much info on Li-ion battery care & saw this.

Avoid frequent full discharges because this puts additional strain on the battery. Several partial discharges with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion than one deep one. Recharging a partially charged lithium-ion does not cause harm because there is no memory. (In this respect, lithium-ion differs from nickel-based batteries.) Short battery life in a laptop is mainly cause by heat rather than charge / discharge patterns.

Batteries with fuel gauge (laptops) should be calibrated by applying a deliberate full discharge once every 30 charges. Running the pack down in the equipment does this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate and in some cases cut off the device prematurely.

Keep the lithium-ion battery cool. Avoid a hot car. For prolonged storage, keep the battery at a 40% charge level.

Consider removing the battery from a laptop when running on fixed power. (Some laptop manufacturers are concerned about dust and moisture accumulating inside the battery casing.)

Avoid purchasing spare lithium-ion batteries for later use. Observe manufacturing date. Do not buy old stock, even if sold at clearance prices.

If you have a spare lithium-ion battery, use one to the fullest and keep the other cool by placing it in the refrigerator. Do not freeze the battery. For best results, store the battery at 40% state-of-charge.

more can be found here: http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
Re: Lithium Ion battery care tips
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 12:51:05 PM »
informative

do you know how long the typical battery will last, yr wise/charges
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Morphius

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 01:25:22 PM »
That is way too broad of a question to really answer.  If you tell us it's size and capacity,  what it's used for, how often you use it, and how often you charge it, then maybe we can give you a guess.  ;)

...In my experience a good Lithium Ion battery will last around three years.  That's with at least weekly (usually more) usage.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 01:57:28 PM »
That is way too broad of a question to really answer.  If you tell us it's size and capacity,  what it's used for, how often you use it, and how often you charge it, then maybe we can give you a guess.  ;)

...In my experience a good Lithium Ion battery will last around three years.  That's with at least weekly (usually more) usage.
well i don't have one yet but i am looking to get a 9v 5400
or a power runner 2310

i don't use it much, but if charging it and drainign it would make it last longer i could/would do it at my house
right now i only tape about 4 or 5 times a yr
hope to start doing more now that i have a jb3 and don't need to flip discs

edit i might power a ad-20 on the 9v too, depends but i hate having to deal with the typical 9v for that
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.138 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com