Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps MK41 or MK41V, what's the better choice?  (Read 18376 times)

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Schoeps MK41 or MK41V, what's the better choice?
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2014, 11:25:08 PM »
In the horizontal plane, which is the one plane most of us care about for stereo recording, a "vertical" or "radial" capsule presents a radially symmetrical surface to the sound field, while this is not the case for "front-facing" capsules.

You sir just hit the advantage I've not quite identified so simply...  It's obvious though once you think about it a minute  :facepalm:

Thanks again.   
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline kingkita

• Trade Count: (50)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2014, 08:16:23 PM »
Big Perm ran mine backwards here http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=574017 I've ran them a bunch backwards nos mk41v and 4v I like it deff changes it up.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2014, 01:17:37 AM »
Big Perm ran mine backwards here http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=574017 I've ran them a bunch backwards nos mk41v and 4v I like it deff changes it up.

I just knew you'd pop your head in this thread lol. Ive been talking to you for a few years now, since Superball 9 when we ran FOB, and you've always told me your love for the V caps :) Damnit DSatz, now Im going to want a pair of mk41v :P :) ;D 8) In all seriousness though, thanks for setting the record straight, DSatz! I always heard from other Schoeps tapers that the caps were identical and just the housings were different. That's why I never saw the need or want for the mk41v caps, for myself! Guess I learned something new today, huh? :) But I LOVE my mk4 and mk41 caps and would'nt trade them for the world!!! Go Team Schoeps!!!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Jonas Karlsson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Taper since 1992
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2018, 05:25:11 AM »
So, did anyone make a good comparison (side by side) with the MK41V and MK41 yet? A lot of talk about beach balls :)

/Jonas

Offline TheMetalist

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2018, 05:42:06 AM »
So, did anyone make a good comparison (side by side) with the MK41V and MK41 yet? A lot of talk about beach balls :)

/Jonas

Nice to see you here again my friend.  :cheers:
"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Offline Dede2002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2018, 02:10:17 PM »
"You're not enjoying this the way I think you should!"

That's a classic one.
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2018, 02:15:12 PM »
I have owned both and thought they both sounded good.  I prefer the 41s because they seem more directional. It seems the V series have more surface area channeling sound to the capsules, based on more mesh grill space. I love Schoeps but they pick up people talking from amile away. The 41Vs seemed to be more open to me but also picked up more talking. I wonder if the capsules are actually the same, the housing and larger surface area just leads to a different pickup pattern?

I could be entirely wrong about all of this. In the end, I decided to settle on the non V capsules...
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2018, 09:46:36 PM »
I own the mk41v. I neither know nor care if it “sounds” better, but it is much easier to use in the field. I tend to run modified PAS with them and can set them up perfectly in seconds. They also work well in the kangol.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline TheMetalist

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2018, 12:37:02 PM »
I prefer the 41s because they seem more directional. It seems the V series have more surface area channeling sound to the capsules, based on more mesh grill space. I love Schoeps but they pick up people talking from amile away. The 41Vs seemed to be more open to me but also picked up more talking.

Just curious. Are you usually open taping or stealth? If you are open taping (stand and clamps) I don't doubt the Vs captures some of the surroundings as well. If you stealth you should have some "body part" behind the capsules which theoretically would make it less possible to capture people talking, right? At least people at the sides and back. Just a thought and it's possible I'm wrong. I recently purchased a pair of MK41Vs and I still have a lot to learn...
"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2018, 12:43:33 PM »
I prefer the 41s because they seem more directional. It seems the V series have more surface area channeling sound to the capsules, based on more mesh grill space. I love Schoeps but they pick up people talking from amile away. The 41Vs seemed to be more open to me but also picked up more talking.

Just curious. Are you usually open taping or stealth? If you are open taping (stand and clamps) I don't doubt the Vs captures some of the surroundings as well. If you stealth you should have some "body part" behind the capsules which theoretically would make it less possible to capture people talking, right? At least people at the sides and back. Just a thought and it's possible I'm wrong. I recently purchased a pair of MK41Vs and I still have a lot to learn...

I only use 41/41v's for open taping
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2018, 03:15:11 AM »

I've run a bunch of mics over the years and to my way of thinking, the MK4V caps are the most versatile for open AND 007. As far as picking up the "Chatty Cathies" in the crowd I feel as though cards outperform the hypers regardless of brand. That big lobe pickup pattern on the back of most hypers tends to introduce a lot of unwanted chitter-chatter and room reflection.

Worst room I record in every year needs shotguns to tame the room and the drunks...

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2018, 09:52:59 AM »
> Worst room I record in every year needs shotguns to tame the room and the drunks...

I hope you mean shotgun microphones, not actual shotguns. Although with some rooms and some drunks, I could maybe understand wanting to use the real thing.

99% of the time I record live music that is unamplified. Whenever I can, I place my mikes high up and aim them downward at the performers. That way the rear lobes of supercardioids are pointing into the air in the back of the hall, where they pick up long-delayed reverberant sound from the far corners of the room. That's often a real plus for the recording.

But for me the main benefits of using either the 41 or 41 V, compared to a standard cardioid, are (a) the greater sensitivity to different pickup angles, i.e. a more detailed stereo "soundstage" as the audiophiles call it, and (b) better consistency of sound quality between on-axis and off-axis pickup, particularly at the both ends of the frequency range.

People who record live performances often don't seem to realize that generally, they are recording much more off-axis sound than on-axis sound. Your microphones would have to be remarkably close to the sound sources, and aimed directly at them, for that NOT to be so.

--best regards
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 01:07:37 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2018, 10:39:27 AM »
So, did anyone make a good comparison (side by side) with the MK41V and MK41 yet?

This is what I want, and in the setting of a concert like most here are recording (loud PA, etc).
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline dhora

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2018, 06:37:17 PM »
This thread made me think of this clip from Electric Apricot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl7M67vgsiM&feature=youtu.be&t=39
AT853h,o, AT831c > AT831 (SP-CMC-2) > SP-SPSB-1 > JB3
Shows on the Archive: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Dave%20Hora%22

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2018, 06:39:21 PM »
This thread made me think of this clip from Electric Apricot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl7M67vgsiM&feature=youtu.be&t=39
"Yeah, well.  It's a 4V."  That was great  :lol:
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com