Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Internal mics question  (Read 64040 times)

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
Re: Internal mics question
« Reply #240 on: September 30, 2017, 12:48:33 AM »
Sounds like Elaine Duke talking about Puerto Rico.   :banging head:

Offline boyacrobat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #241 on: September 30, 2017, 01:04:39 AM »
anyone arguing internals are better than
a reall rig is just plain stupid

they are tight arses who are tight with
cashoulies and scared to carry extra gear in.

logic should be your friend not your enemy

a classic thread
thank you TS   :cheers:

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #242 on: October 02, 2017, 02:19:38 PM »
As much entertainment as this thread has provided me, I just can't believe it's still going on!  Some of the comments here are priceless, and genuinely make me laugh, which is great because I read them at work, and they help relieve the stress.

I have to say, one of the "comments" that Furburger included in his list of praise to him made me question the actual meaning:
"Great work and a big thank you, Steve! I wish The Crystal Ballroom had better acoustics to compliment your video."
I'm not familiar with the Crystal Ballroom, so I ask, are the acoustics there that bad that a good audio recording can't be made, or is it just that the one in question sucks enough for the commenter to remark about it?  Personally, I wouldn't have shared that one if I were Furburger, but that's just me.

I have read some very flattering comments on videos I've posted in the past that, in my opinion, were shitty, but decent enough to post.  I think the commenter is nuts, but really, they're just uneducated on what a good recording is supposed to sound like. 
Normal: Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD 744T (or) Sony PCM-M10
Normal: Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD 744T
Fun times: 3 Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD744T + 2 Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD744T
Stealth: CA-14c >> CA 9200 >> Edirol R-09HR
Ultra stealth: AudioReality >> AudioReality battery box >> Edirol R-09HR
Simple & Sweet!

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #243 on: October 02, 2017, 02:56:18 PM »
The thing the Crystal Ballroom video is really needing is for someone to add a nice Schoeps recording made from the impact zone as the audio track.

That would be something. It really would be something.  :wink2: :wink2: :wink2:
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #244 on: October 03, 2017, 11:38:02 AM »
As much entertainment as this thread has provided me, I just can't believe it's still going on!  Some of the comments here are priceless, and genuinely make me laugh, which is great because I read them at work, and they help relieve the stress.

I have to say, one of the "comments" that Furburger included in his list of praise to him made me question the actual meaning:
"Great work and a big thank you, Steve! I wish The Crystal Ballroom had better acoustics to compliment your video."
I'm not familiar with the Crystal Ballroom, so I ask, are the acoustics there that bad that a good audio recording can't be made, or is it just that the one in question sucks enough for the commenter to remark about it?  Personally, I wouldn't have shared that one if I were Furburger, but that's just me.

I have read some very flattering comments on videos I've posted in the past that, in my opinion, were shitty, but decent enough to post.  I think the commenter is nuts, but really, they're just uneducated on what a good recording is supposed to sound like.
I've heard some absolutely sick recordings from this venue.. never been there, but it's certainly possible to make a great one.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline drivingwheel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Driving Wheel
« Reply #245 on: October 03, 2017, 02:34:57 PM »

a classic thread

Some people are okay with "good enough."
http://www.drivingwheelmusic.com
http://www.archive.org/details/DrivingWheel
http://www.facebook.com/drivingwheel

open : Peluso CEMC-6 (cards)>Edirol ua-5 (d-mod)/Fostex FR-2LE (Busman t-mod)/Tascam DR-2D

covert operations : CA-14 (cards)/AT853 (cards)>Church Audio 9100>Tascam DR-2D
'

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #246 on: October 03, 2017, 03:58:08 PM »

I'm not familiar with the Crystal Ballroom, so I ask, are the acoustics there that bad that a good audio recording can't be made, or is it just that the one in question sucks enough for the commenter to remark about it? 

https://archive.org/details/UmphreysMcGee2016-03-12.CrystalBallroomPortlandOR_SchoepsMK41
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #247 on: October 03, 2017, 10:24:41 PM »

a classic thread

That's fine but fluffing just "good enough" when there are much better options and insulting everyone else in the process sure gets old.  The funny thing  is those making the best recordings never have to fluff them.

Offline drivingwheel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Driving Wheel
« Reply #248 on: October 05, 2017, 03:22:11 PM »

a classic thread

That's fine but fluffing just "good enough" when there are much better options and insulting everyone else in the process sure gets old.  The funny thing  is those making the best recordings never have to fluff them.

Truth - my "solid A" has been rated as "A+++++" by others; thing is, I've never been overly enamored with a recording just because I'm the one who actually hit "record"
http://www.drivingwheelmusic.com
http://www.archive.org/details/DrivingWheel
http://www.facebook.com/drivingwheel

open : Peluso CEMC-6 (cards)>Edirol ua-5 (d-mod)/Fostex FR-2LE (Busman t-mod)/Tascam DR-2D

covert operations : CA-14 (cards)/AT853 (cards)>Church Audio 9100>Tascam DR-2D
'

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #249 on: October 05, 2017, 04:40:16 PM »
[quote author=drivingwheel link=topic=182792.msg2242241#msg2242241 date=150723133
Truth - my "solid A" has been rated as "A+++++" by others; thing is, I've never been overly enamored with a recording just because I'm the one who actually hit "record"
[/quote]

This is a good point, and I'm glad someone brought it up.  I think, for the most part, a taper is at least slightly biased towards their own recordings.  I'm not suggesting that we can't admit that another recording is better, or acknowledge that others are just as good or better, only that we are intimately familiar with our own.  We are used to a specific sound or tone produced by the equipment that we've chosen because we like it.  I'm no exception, I like the sound I get from my equipment.  Still, I have heard plenty of recordings by others that I thought were better or equally amazing for different reasons.

In my opinion, there is a certain pride that comes with making a good recording.  We remember the situation, where we were, how and what we set up, and of course, the vibe and energy of that show.  Our recordings bring back that feeling.  It's only natural to feel strongly towards something you've made, especially if you're happy with it.  This is why I can understand Furburger's attachment to what he does...of course he takes it to a whole other level, which, let's face it, is basically ludicrous.  Still, I can understand.

Furthermore, I seriously believe that 95% of the people who are downloading our postings are clueless.  They often think they know what they're listening to or have heard of some of the equipment, but they really have no idea what we do.  I always get a kick out of the person who says they were a taper once, because they were with a friend that recorded a few shows.  Someone downloading a show is interested in hearing that show. Maybe they were there and want to have and relive that night or maybe they just like the band and that show had a solid set list, either way, they have their reasons.  More likely than not, they download and listen on inferior equipment and appreciate it on a level that many of us would laugh at, but that's cool, because they're happy.  What happens next: they may like to comment, rate, share or otherwise, what they perceive as amazing.  The thing is, they won't bother to compare.

All this being said, the average listener has no real idea what they're listening to, only that they like it, so it must be the best. 
Normal: Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD 744T (or) Sony PCM-M10
Normal: Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD 744T
Fun times: 3 Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD744T + 2 Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD744T
Stealth: CA-14c >> CA 9200 >> Edirol R-09HR
Ultra stealth: AudioReality >> AudioReality battery box >> Edirol R-09HR
Simple & Sweet!

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #250 on: October 07, 2017, 04:37:31 PM »
I am at a festival with other taper on the site.  He is running His Schoeps on a stand into a mixpre.  I am running a stealth setup.  I have an extra  DR-2D.  What are the secrets to making it sound as good?  I want to test it out. 
Yes
That said, I fully expect the Schoeps on a stand 5 feet in front will sound best.  Keeping it real.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 04:39:43 PM by daspyknows »

Offline boyacrobat

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #251 on: October 08, 2017, 01:50:27 AM »
I have an extra  DR-2D.  What are the secrets to making it sound as good?
only one that I know of D = get a SBD feed from F.O.H

Yes D lets keep it real.   :bigsmile:

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #252 on: October 08, 2017, 02:10:20 AM »
The secret is the bass roll off, from what I've heard.  That is crucial.

Seriously, I do grade my tapes, and the typical Schoeps is "A"  with downgrades "A-" for crowd noise or a bad location.  I've had B+ with Schoeps as well. 

I have had times when the taper Gods shined upon me and made an A+ pull.  They are few and far between. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #253 on: October 08, 2017, 11:21:53 AM »
Scooter there must be more magic than that to make an internals recording sound A+.  If that was the csse any clown could do it, not  just one.  I have an extra DR-2D and willing to run if for a comp if I get those magical setting.  How to point the mics in that special way.  Unfortunately I am dead center in the sweet spot and dont think it works there.

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #254 on: October 08, 2017, 03:14:24 PM »
After you guys figure out how to get the 1 Tascam hand held recorder set up correctly then you will be ready for the next step. Running 4 Tascam hand held recorders at the same time plus shooting vid on 3 phone cameras while getting stank on your hang low with middle aged midwestern womens. Any effort short of this will result in a recording that is 75/85% as good as an elite stand taper recording.
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com